Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Alignment Quick Questions in relation to handeling

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Quick Questions in relation to handeling

Tomorrow my H&R Sport Springs and KYB AGX shocks are getting installed. Now money has never been tighter, and I dont have enough money for an alignment this week. But while searching I have read that you should let the springs settle into the shocks and get all comfy before I do an alignment. Im thinkin two weeks is more than enough time. Not long enough to wear out the tires, but long enough for the suspension components to settle in. INPUT on this subject would be helpful.

Now my second question... I also read that an alignment helps create self-centering capability in the car. Meaning that if you turn the wheel slightly to the left, and then push the gas, the car will straighten the wheel and go straight again?

Well RIGHT NOW with my stock suspension, when I do that, my car WILL veer to the left... Could my car be out of alignment right now as it stands?

In the same post I read that dartiness is cut down huge by an alignment, my car AGAIN with STOCK suspension at the moment WILL DART to a direction when I turn and I CAN'T actually turn fast anymore its so bad, because I need to STEER the car BACK to straight, and thats not always easy to do while accelerating at a fast rate and cars all around you...

SO what im saying with those last two paragraphs is my stock suspension could be out of alignment? And and Alignment SHOULD FIX these problems? as well as tire-wear?

Ok Thank you
Old 07-01-2004, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Alignment Quick Questions in relation to handeling (Si Arn)

2 weeks is plenty of time to wear your tires down with a bad alignment. Bounce and roll the car 80 feet and the springs are settled. If your springs require something more than that, they're probably very low quality.

Sounds like your alignment is out or your tires are worn unevenly.

An alignment will only fix your toe. If you've lowered your street car over 1.5 inches, your camber will be way out and you'll need an aftermarket camber kit and an alignment shop willing to adjust an aftermarket camber kit.

If funds are tight, get an old school alignment just to get the toe set back to spec. No need for a four wheel computerized alignment if you're only adjusting one alignment angle anyway.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alignment Quick Questions in relation to handeling (shaundrake)

Well in the winter time with Michelin's and stock wheels that the car came with, it did this stuff too.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 07-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt