Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Alignment Question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Question.

Hi guys. I finished lowering my car today, 2.5" drop, and i was wonder if i should get an alignment done even though i don't have a camber kit. I went to autobacs to ask and the guys said that it's not worth doing cuz I will still be cambering and it will be a watse of money.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alignment Question. (goofyej6)

ttt
Old 05-26-2004, 11:18 PM

I would get an alignment so that you could get your toe set a zero all around. it isnt just the camber that kills your tires its the combination of the 2.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alignment Question. (MPower332TI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MPower332TI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would get an alignment so that you could get your toe set a zero all around. it isnt just the camber that kills your tires its the combination of the 2. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto set the toe and go
Old 05-26-2004, 11:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goofyej6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi guys. I finished lowering my car today, 2.5" drop, and i was wonder if i should get an alignment done even though i don't have a camber kit. I went to autobacs to ask and the guys said that it's not worth doing cuz I will still be cambering and it will be a watse of money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT! If you just lowered your car today, chances are it hasn't had the opportunity to settle. I'd give it at least 2-3 months of regular driving before I even thought about doing an alignment. The choice is yours, do one now and maybe have to do it again later, or just wait and do it one time.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alignment Question. (EkDave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EkDave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT! If you just lowered your car today, chances are it hasn't had the opportunity to settle. I'd give it at least 2-3 months of regular driving before I even thought about doing an alignment. The choice is yours, do one now and maybe have to do it again later, or just wait and do it one time. </TD></TR></TABLE>
does this apply if i bought my springs used? or should i just wait just incase? Also thnx to everyone for replying
Old 05-27-2004, 12:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goofyej6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
does this apply if i bought my springs used? or should i just wait just incase? Also thnx to everyone for replying </TD></TR></TABLE>

Please do not wait 2 or 3 months. Thats just stupid. By that time your tires will be trash and you should have a camber kit by then. Wait 2 or 3days at the most and then get it aligned. Go out and take some nice sharp curves and throw the car around a bit to have them seat. I would go asap if you like your tires or acceleration.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alignment Question. (MPower332TI)

what mpower said

also if you get an alignment now you can always have it done again later. at my shop the alignments are under warranty for 6 months or 6000 miles whatever comes first. get it done now your tires will thank you.

misha
Old 05-27-2004, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Alignment Question. (EG TYPE-R)

toe should always be set a 0? no matter how low you go?
Old 05-27-2004, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alignment Question. (2 point 0)

Any reccomendations to where i should get my alignment done in the 714 area guys?
Old 05-27-2004, 02:05 AM

you can change toe on stock suspension (other than springs and shocks)??
Old 05-27-2004, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goofyej6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any reccomendations to where i should get my alignment done in the 714 area guys?</TD></TR></TABLE>
TTT
Old 05-27-2004, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Alignment Question. (EkDave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EkDave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT! If you just lowered your car today, chances are it hasn't had the opportunity to settle. I'd give it at least 2-3 months of regular driving before I even thought about doing an alignment. The choice is yours, do one now and maybe have to do it again later, or just wait and do it one time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Please learn some more before giving out advice. Its pretty obvious you don't know what you are talking about.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alignment Question. (2 point 0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2 point 0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">toe should always be set a 0? no matter how low you go?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depends on what you want.. I tend to set alittle of positive toe (1/2 degree)in the fronts and some negative in the rear (1/2 degree) to compensate for the scrub radius when you lower the car, but then again this is with camber at 1 degree in the rears and fronts.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goofyej6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi guys. I finished lowering my car today, 2.5" drop, and i was wonder if i should get an alignment done even though i don't have a camber kit. I went to autobacs to ask and the guys said that it's not worth doing cuz I will still be cambering and it will be a watse of money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The guys at "autobacs" are obviously ******* idiots.

Get the car aligned and have them set it within factory toe settings.

Zero rear toe is outside of the factory recommended toe, but most racers set toe to zero out back. I do. Works fine. Never tried anything else.

I run 1/8th" total toe out in front. Again, works fine, no weird wear on my tires.

FWIW, I'm at -2.5 degrees in front and -1.5 degrees in back... which is just about perfect for a daily/autox/track car like mine. *shrug* no camber kit.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you JUST changed the springs/shocks, you could not have affected toe. Well... so minutely that it won't be noticable to you. If you have no camber kit, it's pointless. Also, TOE only NEEDS to be set after major susp work like removing trailing arms and control arms, OR if you change the tie rod ends. Besides those times, toe is pretty much fixed. I drove around for 3 years after lowering with no wear other than a little camber wear. I only had an alignment done AFTER my big brake upgrade and 4 wheel disk conversion (since I replaced every susp component with that from a 00 Si). After that my toe was... ridiculous. It was so bad that I had tire dust on my rear bumper haha Anyways... just sharing my experience. So don't get it twisted. Only cars with Mac struts absolutely NEED an alignment after a shock/spring swap cuz the shock directly affects the alignment.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Default Re: (bbarbulo)

Toe changes as you lower/raise a car....
Old 05-27-2004, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bbarbulo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bbarbulo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you JUST changed the springs/shocks, you could not have affected toe. Well... so minutely that it won't be noticable to you. If you have no camber kit, it's pointless. Also, TOE only NEEDS to be set after major susp work like removing trailing arms and control arms, OR if you change the tie rod ends. Only cars with Mac struts absolutely NEED an alignment after a shock/spring swap cuz the shock directly affects the alignment. </TD></TR></TABLE>

someone really doesnt know crap about alignments.. now first if you change any of the suspension pieces you need to set alignment. I take it you know anything about the angles of suspension do you.
and ONly cars with Mc Struts need alignments? OMG thats soo funny that you think cars with SALA suspensions dont need alignments at all?

If you change the Ride height of a vehicle you change almost all 3 basic angle but you also change other angles you prob have no idea. Like Scrub Radius, Toe In turns, SAI do you? So PLEASE do not respond unless you know what your talking about.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Re: (BatuKing)

Car and Driver's Premiere Issue of Boost had a decent article on How to Get the Most from Your Tires. It discusses the basics of an alignment and suggested a couple of reputable books to do your own alignments. However, alignments is something I leave to the pros. Anyways, it will be a good read next time your drifting around Barnes and Nobles or the grocery store. That is if it's still sitting on the shelf.