Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

alarms...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alarms...

which ones do u guys recommend that's worked good for u at an affordable price..i'm lookin @ about a $400-600 budget..and i want power door locks on my EG
Old 12-30-2002, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alarms... (daxxbomb)

my dei works pretty good. not too sensitive, got power door locks. 250 installed.
Old 12-30-2002, 05:33 PM

The quality of an alarm depends really on how it is installed. Any decent alarm will do your door locks. If you need actuators it might be a small amount extra. Find a good shop that will work with you in doing a good install. Hidden brain, hidden starter kill relay or wire tap(solidered). All connections should be solidered. Have a back up battery and a hood lock if you want it to work for more than 10 seconds. I've used DEI stuff seems OK Tiawan stuff. Good Luck!
Old 12-30-2002, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alarms... (s13_240sx_92)

The quality of an alarm depends really on how it is installed. Any decent alarm will do your door locks. If you need actuators it might be a small amount extra. Find a good shop that will work with you in doing a good install. Hidden brain, hidden starter kill relay or wire tap(solidered). All connections should be solidered. Have a back up battery and a hood lock if you want it to work for more than 10 seconds. I've used DEI stuff seems OK Tiawan stuff. Good Luck!
I am going to be getting an alarm for my Eg cx and thinking about power locks. It sucks to use the key every time I enter the vehicle and if it's raining it really sucks!

Is that all I need is an actuator in each door? I don't care about locking them from teh inside just hate using the key to enter. I'm going to do a search and see how difficult it is to wire the actuators in and also check prices. Figure I'd repsond to this thread since it was up top even though it's probably been covered 1,000 times

$400-600 is WAAAAYYYYY to much for an alarm install IMO! I would say $300 max! I'm going to get the basic Viper and add the actuators.

An alarm is only as good as it's install --Exactly why I'm having my friend help me with mine.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:18 PM

Default Re: alarms... (Hybrid93Hatch)

i kno the power door lock motor is only like 30bux a piece and i want to shave my keyhole so i cant' get master keyed anymore..i kno that any alarm can hook up power door locks i just wanted to know some brands out there cuz i dont have much experience w/ alarams u kno..

i'm lookin at vipers, clifford, or that aladdin alarm
Old 12-30-2002, 09:17 PM

Default Re: alarms... (Hybrid93Hatch)

can someone please explain to me these actuators things...Im not to familiar with alarms and stuff related to it but I will be purchasing one sometime between now and Spring time before I go to work on my swap..What will I need to convert to power door locks?
Old 12-30-2002, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alarms... (Hatch_92)

actuator is just a motor that moves the linkage so that the doors unlock, or the trunk unlatches. simple. just to let you know, when i was shopping around for an alarm for my car, i was looking at clifford, and the tech who was helping me told me that clifford was bought out by dei and that clifford's electronics were dated and not as reliable. maybe he was just trying to get me to buy the dei, although the clifford was alot more expensive. clifford is not a good alarm in my opinion though, my bro had an intelliguard 800 by clifford on his zx2 and when he jump started his car once, the alarm brain fried itself, there goes his 600 dollar alarm, he had everything on there too, so hes stuck without an alarm now. i've never had a problem with jump starting my car before, and this happened to his alarm with his first jump start. i don't understand. hope i didn't confuse you too much though. good luck
clifford
Old 12-30-2002, 10:33 PM

Default Re: alarms... (tominos)

actuator is just a motor that moves the linkage so that the doors unlock, or the trunk unlatches. simple. just to let you know, when i was shopping around for an alarm for my car, i was looking at clifford, and the tech who was helping me told me that clifford was bought out by dei and that clifford's electronics were dated and not as reliable. maybe he was just trying to get me to buy the dei, although the clifford was alot more expensive. clifford is not a good alarm in my opinion though, my bro had an intelliguard 800 by clifford on his zx2 and when he jump started his car once, the alarm brain fried itself, there goes his 600 dollar alarm, he had everything on there too, so hes stuck without an alarm now. i've never had a problem with jump starting my car before, and this happened to his alarm with his first jump start. i don't understand. hope i didn't confuse you too much though. good luck
clifford
Hey thanks for clearing that actuator thing up for me! One question: Will they come with the Alarm or do I have to buy them seperately and also if I have a place install the alarm, they will do install the actuators also rite?
Old 12-31-2002, 02:16 AM

Default Re: alarms... (Hatch_92)

yea they usually sell acuators at the place from 30-60 bux depending on the place..i've heard they typically run about 150 more w/ installation..i'm trying to get the same thing b/c some idiot tried to pop my door lock so he messed it all up..

anyways..so clifford is bad...does anyone have or heard about the aladdin 2000 alarm?
Old 12-31-2002, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyways..so clifford is bad...does anyone have or heard about the aladdin 2000 alarm?
Wrong. Clifford is one of the most reputable brands, Aladdin is ****. But it is all in the install.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: alarms... (t0p_sh0tta)

Got my actuators on sale at car toys for like 11$..

Don't pay to much for a nice alarm. Pay for a nice install! Talk with your installer and make sure he knows how serious you are.

Maybe even tell him you'll tip him if he does a good job. Or tell him you'll buy him lunch!

seriously..
Old 12-31-2002, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alarms... (Nameless)

Any site out there that lists "reputable" installers. I'd rather not go to a giant chain store and have it done. Smaller more reputable stores usually live and die based on word-of-mouth, so I believe their quality tends to be better. Just my $.02.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:05 PM

Default Re: alarms... (Mocky57)

anyone kno where i can find a list?

and soo....is clifford a reliable alarm or not? i've gotten both good and bad..
Old 12-31-2002, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya, i have a clifford and i have no complaints or regrets. check into it.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:47 PM

Default Re: alarms... (WongFeihung)

There was a groupbuy on autopage alarms on here a while back. It ran just under $300 and had every option you could want (besides rolling up your windows and closing your sunroof, you have to buy extra modules). I go to a local shop and I get door lock actuators for $10 a piece. Personally, I am sold on either DEI or Autopage. Make sure the brand you choose offers the options you want. For example... Autopage sells a module to open your garage door for you. I also know that Ungo makes some nice parts for alarms, I think their twindows modules are pretty commonly used. And most importantly, do NOT rely solely on your alarm, take extra precautions as well. Anyone who has installed/understands an alarm knows how easy they are to defeat.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:03 PM

Default Re: alarms... (Slurp56)

My Clifford Concept 600 stopped the thieves from stealing my car. It started then shut off on them down the street when they couldn't figure out the code. Although it cost me $525.00, after that experience I felt it was way worth it! My friend that does alarms said he could have stolen the car. He said the people who tried to stael it were unexperienced, but never the less the code is what stopped them.

Another thing I am doing is installing a switch to my MSD 6A ignition box. The box is under the seat and MSD said I could install a switch to the ground, so if someone tries to steal it they would get no spark. I think that would be a safe and effective method on top of an alarm. No theif is going to sit there and try to trouble shoot why your not getting spark! Besides how often do you hear of an ignition installed underneath the seat ?
Old 12-31-2002, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alarms... (turbo Si)

Has anyone installed their own alarm? Anyone know how difficult it is?
Old 12-31-2002, 06:14 PM

Default Re: alarms... (ill phil)

Yes, I've installed my last 3 and several for friends. Difficulty is all dependant upon how many options you have. The most complex things you should need to use are SPDT relays and sometimes Diodes. Make sure you have a multimeter handy with you. Its not hard, its just time consuming.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:29 PM

do any of u guys know a feature that would prevent people from pulling the window back? b/c that's the most common way theives get in..i kno it's not window tampering b/c the guy at the store told me that's only if they breka the window

and another thing..is there another thing to prevent the trunk from being ripped open? cuz it looks rather flimsy to me..

thanx
Old 01-01-2003, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I've installed my last 3 and several for friends. Difficulty is all dependant upon how many options you have. The most complex things you should need to use are SPDT relays and sometimes Diodes. Make sure you have a multimeter handy with you. Its not hard, its just time consuming.
Hmm... yeah I used to install car audio stereo's and systems so I'm thinking I could do this relatively easily if I took my time. Thanks for the info
Old 01-04-2003, 05:16 PM

Default Re: alarms...

So over all what would you guys say is a decent alarm? I was looking athrough a few different sites but since im not to familiar with alarms, Im not really sure what I should be looking for lol..

I think Im gunna get it as a birthday gift so I guess the budget is about like $100 - $400... Im looking for something that has a sensor for if someone walks around it to close and power door locks, panic button etc...
Im gonna go look around on some other sites abotu the DEI alarms and some others but I would still like to hear what you guys think is a good alarm..

Thanks in advance...
Old 01-04-2003, 06:27 PM

Default Re: alarms...

I have a Clifford Intelliguard 8000 w/ battery back up alarm, best thing i bought for my car. I had it installed at Magnolia Hi-Fi for 500 dollars flat. We had a string of car thefts at my school last year, tons of civics were stolen. As far as i know, mine was the only one left standing. they popped the passenger window out of the track, and once in, popped the hood, and ripped all the alarm wires out. Started kill kicked in, and the battery back up went off. They just left my car like that. Sadly, insurance had to buy me a new 500 dollar alarm, and i had to have it towed back to magnolia hi-fi cause of starter kill, but it was all worth it, cause i still have my baby Cliffords are the best alarms and as far as i know, DEI bought Clifford to be their "luxury" alarm brand. I say go clifford!
Old 01-04-2003, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alarms... (98CivicStunna)

have you seen the new compustar alarm, they did a review in the new import tuner. it's got a paging system, and the range on it is up to 1.25 miles, and its got remote start even for manual tranny's, all the bells and whistles, like turbo timer, cold start mode. lots of options, but price is kinda steep though. 700 installed. but i guess, it's not that bad, if your car is worth alot of money. as for who to install any alarm, go to a shop that u know and trust, maybe not a chain store, some big installers rig the alarm so that they can be stolen. watch out for that stuff. a good install would be worth your money.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:03 AM

who give a damn man alarm is an alarm all u need is your proxi sensors and and your other sensor "forgot" and an backup battery and your set if u buy clifford of course your getting power locks because my friends dx has power locks now because of his alarm, what i am using right now is the Matrix 2 from Clifford 300 bucks i am satisfied with what i have no regrets, works like a champ
Old 01-07-2003, 06:46 PM

Default Re: alarms... (NiraCivicJDM)

who give a damn man alarm is an alarm all u need is your proxi sensors and and your other sensor "forgot" and an backup battery and your set if u buy clifford of course your getting power locks because my friends dx has power locks now because of his alarm, what i am using right now is the Matrix 2 from Clifford 300 bucks i am satisfied with what i have no regrets, works like a champ

WTF? Clifford is fine. Most brands are fine! Get decent install. And remember "if u buy clifford of course your getting power locks because my friends dx has power locks now because of his alarm, " HAHAAH