Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

alarm idea for hydro trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alarm idea for hydro trans

i have an idea to make a product to HELP prevent car theft by disabling the clutch pedal. basically is a valve that screws in the clutchline between the trans and the clutch mc. the electronic valve will close when alarm is equipped and prevent fluid from moving to the trans so you cant use the clutch. its intended to stop people from pushing the car somewhere else and then proceeding to steal it (usally thieves will move the car away from the scene and then jack it)
i know you can still wiggle the shifter out of gear to get it in neatral. but they will have a harder time starting it cause most new cars have to have the clutch pedal on the floor triggering the switch to start the car.
i know there would be ways to bypass this but its intended to be another step to slow down a theft and make it more difficult.
obviously there will be more thought into stopping the easier ways of getting around this but i think for an inexpensive unit it would be a good idea to beef up security .

would like opinions
Old 01-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: alarm idea for hydro trans (Drum and Bass Racing)

What if they tow the car?
Old 01-29-2006, 07:23 PM

well if they tow it nothing is stopping them, but the average tweaker crook who is trying to get out of there quick will probably not want to mess with this after they go through the hassle of shutting of the alarm then they hotwire the car, then they cant get the clutch to work. i think its a good idea for a cheap unit. if they wanbted to remove it off the line they would have to have clutch fluid with them and go though all that bs of taking it off and having the fluid drain out everywhere and putting more in and bleeding the system.
if it was a 35-50$ unit you would not want to add it to your security system?
Old 01-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, at that price yes!
Old 01-29-2006, 07:54 PM

good idea....in theory....

the only problem I see is that they would still be able to start the car. The clutch pedal switch is activated when you depress the pedal. So the car would still start, it would just stall out right away because the clutch was still engaged.

IMO I wouldn't do it because it's a well-known fact that thieves don't give a sh*t about the cars they're stealing. So after it stalled out the first time, a good portion of them would probably start it in neutral and then proceed to powershift and completely toast your tranny.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:58 PM

good idea, but it sounds like something like this would be pretty heavy
Old 01-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could use a line lock to prevent the pedal from being pressed in at all. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs...21387

Installed properly with it inline with the slave cylinder you would not be able to press the pedal in. Hydro lock.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:29 PM

My concern is what if the unit fails while your driving, and it causes you to get in an acident or stuck somewhere.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:41 PM

Default Re: alarm idea for hydro trans (civic_fan)

i though tthe switch was activated when the pedal hit the floor, or gets really close to the floor to trigger it. well if the line had the valve closed the clutch wouldnt be able to be pressed in far enough to trigger that switch cause the line wouldnt be moving the fluid. kinda like pumping your brake pedal, it gets stiff.
and even if they got the car started somehow with another method, if the unit was still inplace on the line they would have no control of the clutch, and wouldnt be able to stop and go, i doubt they will pull the car out of gear at every red light and jam it back into gear. its just to HELP protect your car. plus id rather have the police recover my car on the side of the road cause the thief gave up and couldnt drive it. even if it had a toasted tranny. than finding it as a gutted shell.
and i know there could be a safety issue with it so there would have to be thought put into it if it was actually produced so it would be 100% safe.
remeber its not to make it impossible to steal your car. its to make it harder to steal it.