Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

is aircraft paint remover bad for rubber?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 05:15 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is aircraft paint remover bad for rubber?

i recently picked up some HX wheels and was planning on repainting them a bronze color... my question is can i use the aerosol product on them without damaging the honcook tires that are mounted around the rim?...... should i worry about overspray eating away at the rubber.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: is aircraft paint remover bad for rubber? (akunamatta)

It can and will eat your tires.

The paint remover has acid in it. And is formulated for eating the plastics and polymers in paint. Which are similar enough to tire rubber.

have a shop remove the tires from the wheels unless you're confident you can do it on your own.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is aircraft paint remover bad for rubber? (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It can and will eat your tires.

The paint remover has acid in it. And is formulated for eating the plastics and polymers in paint. Which are similar enough to tire rubber.

have a shop remove the tires from the wheels unless you're confident you can do it on your own.</TD></TR></TABLE>X2
Old 07-01-2007, 05:22 PM
* B A N N E D *

thx for the advise... i will hold off until tommorow when i have the tires taken off, i am just really anxious to get all the old paint off but i guess i'll have to wait. (and no, i dont feel like masking.)
Old 07-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (akunamatta)

What paint are you using?

Make sure you're prepping them good, sand every nook and cranny.

I want to do a DIY on painting my brothers Snowflakes.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:27 PM
* B A N N E D *

after i strip the old paint off im going to buy half a pint of some subaru STi BBS gold.... and then clear over it, it should look nice when im done..... i might primer them too what do u think?
Old 07-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akunamatta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after i strip the old paint off im going to buy half a pint of some subaru STi BBS gold.... and then clear over it, it should look nice when im done..... i might primer them too what do u think?</TD></TR></TABLE>damn it i have the same idea. Got it after i saw an impreza in import tuner.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:32 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You were planning on painting without primering?

Old 07-01-2007, 05:35 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You were planning on painting without primering?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

if the metal is scuffed i might be able to get away without primer.... but i think im going to play it safe and put a few coats on.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:40 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akunamatta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if the metal is scuffed i might be able to get away without primer.... but i think im going to play it safe and put a few coats on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would you even risk it?
Old 07-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Ek Forever y0!

For the time and effort spent, spend the $5 for a can of primer. it will come out better.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:49 PM
* B A N N E D *

because its one less thing i have to spend money on. but like i said im going to use primer so i hope they turn out good. should i make a DIY with these?...
Old 07-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Sure, do a DIY. Just make sure you include lots of information even if you think it's not really important.

But if you screw up, then I wouldn't do a DIY
Old 07-01-2007, 05:59 PM
* B A N N E D *

i dont think i'll screw up... the only thing is i will be using an air compressor and im not sure if everyone has one of those.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:10 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akunamatta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont think i'll screw up... the only thing is i will be using an air compressor and im not sure if everyone has one of those.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you think you're the Jesus of painting, by all means, don't prime.

You don't need to do a DIY ... I mean, sure ... tech is appreciated .... but there's probably 100 "how to spraypaint _________" threads. Just because it's a set of wheels doesn't make it any different to paint.

I've painted like 10 sets of wheels for myself and others, and I just get better with time. My next project is a set of LS webs done battleship/charcoal gray with a gloss black lip. Painting isn't rocket science, it's all about patience and prep.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:15 PM
* B A N N E D *

not to brag or anything but i AM THE JESUS OF PAINTING.... i just dont really care how nice they look, but yea, im gonna prime i decided and they are going to look sweet. i have taken 20 credits with college painting courses so i know what im doin man.

and im talking about using regular paint, not the rattle can type with these wheels.... ya i kno there is a ton of threads about it so congrats eran, you just talked me out of doing a write up.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:16 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akunamatta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not to brag or anything but i AM THE JESUS OF PAINTING.... i just dont really care how nice they look, but yea, im gonna prime i decided and they are going to look sweet. i have taken 20 credits with college painting courses so i know what im doin man.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have 40 credits of culinary school .... and I don't think I'm a better cook than the guys I work with because of it. College is just practice that you paid for. I know guys who flunked out of junior high that I guarantee paint better than anyone from your classes .... because they have like 10 years experience doing five days a week, 8 hours a day.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Jesus &gt; Any diploma a human could earn.

Can you walk on paint? (provided it were a large mass other's weren't capable of walking on)
Old 07-01-2007, 06:19 PM
* B A N N E D *

i know im not jesus but im decent lol, im not all ghetto man.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:21 PM
HT White Ops

Wait wait ... you have 20 credits of professional painting courses ... and you were considering not priming? You were also considering stripping wheels while they still had tires?

What about alcohol prep, adhesion promoter, flex agent? Forgetting some things?

This is why I rattle can .... because it's just easier when it comes to wheels. If you want perfect, powdercoat. Spraying wheels with a gun is just a waste unless you can't get the color you want anywhere.

If you have the "training" you speak of ... this thread wouldn't exist.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:21 PM
* B A N N E D *

anyways im gonna do that so thx for the advise on the paint remover ekforeverguy.... other than that i can see where this thread is going and im going to step out. peace!
Old 07-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me.. I think painting wheels is pretty tough and would require ALL steps needed for a perfect paint job. Remember.. These wheels will be spinning FAST and will have alot of drag, wind, dust, tiny rocks, and worst of all, brake dust. This is not like painting door handles. I could get away with not priming my door handles or moldings but wheels, something I'd NEVER skimp out on. I don't care what anyone says. I've painted almost everything on my car and have learned many things the hard way with dirt. To me, Prep and Clearcoat are the MOST important of all. I know you said you WILL prime but just don't want you to skimp out on any other TINY stupid little things which may lead to ugly results in a month. Off to drinking again!
Old 07-03-2007, 03:35 PM
* B A N N E D *

alright i just finished the last coat of clear and i'm wondering....

how long should i wait before i have my tires mounted and everything back on the car?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not just sand blast them?
Old 07-03-2007, 04:13 PM
* B A N N E D *

?

Quick Reply: is aircraft paint remover bad for rubber?