Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

airbag question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbag question

Hey guys,

new here, I own a 97 honda civic EX... I am very short to say the least, and have been told by my doctor to disable my airbags in my car as it will cause more damage than just the seatbelt alone would... My problem is that I can always get a CTR, or some other aftermarket wheel for the driver, but my girlfriends rides in my car a lot in the passanger seat, and I would really like her to still have the safety of an airbag... I was told that in order to disable the system it's either "all or nothing". Is this the case? or can just the drivers bag be disabled...

thanks in advance guys,

regards..
Old 06-27-2005, 02:15 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: airbag question (thesaint421)

Im not sure about that... I think you can put on a aftermarket wheel and the system will still work. You will have an airbag light, but the airbag, (in theory) should still work. Can anyone confirm?
Old 06-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not 100% sure but I'm not about to give my opinion on life-savers
Old 06-27-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: airbag question (Jonzo)

thats my problem, I am not willing to mess with the SRS system if it has potential to blow without any warning... that would be BAD

thanks for the time guys,

regards.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:00 PM

You can disable the drivers airbag only. Disconnect your negative terminal, wait 3 minutes. Turn your steering wheel straight up, feel underneath, there is a plastic cover directly underneath your steering wheel itself. Remove this cover and disconnect your harness and your done, you will get an srs code but, you won't be nailed by the airbag.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: airbag question (Bcuz)

and the passanger bag will still function as it would with the whole sysem enabled? so it's the simple thing of un hooking the srs light so it doesn't bug the hell out of me,

regards..

The Saint
Old 06-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes it will still work, and yea you can then just undo the light in the dash
Old 06-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bcuz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can disable the drivers airbag only. Disconnect your negative terminal, wait 3 minutes. Turn your steering wheel straight up, feel underneath, there is a plastic cover directly underneath your steering wheel itself. Remove this cover and disconnect your harness and your done, you will get an srs code but, you won't be nailed by the airbag. </TD></TR></TABLE>
you ALWAYS need to wait at least 45 minuets before touching anything related to the SRS system. a charge as small as 3v can deploy the airbags and while you are reachng under. that will decapitate you.

as for the doctor saying it causes more harm than good, that is a TOTAL LIE. there no NO way to measure how much damage wouldnt be done in a collision with and without an airbag

also keep in mind if you disable your airbag your medical insurance/auto dosent have to cover any body injuries. its a very serious thing to remove a working one from a vehicle.

this is what i do for a living, so trust me please.

i was also under the impression anytime the SRS light stays on the system is disabled completley. im not 100% sure but im very sure that the pass one wont work if the SRS light is on.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: airbag question (Kamin)

I have had reconstructive surgery in my nose / jaw, and the airbag will do more damage that just a seat belt, even if my sternom(sp?), and ribs break, etc, etc... thats what I was wondering also, if the whole system is disabled if the SRS light is on... Any one have any definitive knowledge on this matter, cause if I can have the pass one working and not the drivers, then they are both coming out...

The Saint
Old 06-29-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: airbag question (Kamin)

Dude Honda recommends 3 mins. 45 mins. and all the techs would be losing money, o, now it's making sense.

So trust me, most of the time I don't even, disconnect the battery. I know what I'm talking about too.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bcuz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude Honda recommends 3 mins. 45 mins. and all the techs would be losing money, o, now it's making sense.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i work there and 3 mins is enough... honda is very strict on its guidelines so they wouldnt say 3 mins just to cut down on time if it really needed 45... if it really took 45 mins, they would make us wait and make the customer pay for it... trust me
Old 06-29-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: airbag question (neutron91)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neutron91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah i work there and 3 mins is enough... honda is very strict on its guidelines so they wouldnt say 3 mins just to cut down on time if it really needed 45... if it really took 45 mins, they would make us wait and make the customer pay for it... trust me</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you kind sir.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bcuz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude Honda recommends 3 mins. 45 mins. and all the techs would be losing money, o, now it's making sense.

So trust me, most of the time I don't even, disconnect the battery. I know what I'm talking about too. </TD></TR></TABLE>
every service manual and book ive ever seen for every car has said minimum of 15 min. im sure you know what you are talking about and i trust you, but im making sure this kid dosent kill himself if he accidentally shorts something and pops the squib.