Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Air Ride Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Ride Suspension

Im looking into gettin an air ride suspension, can anyone tell me the pro's and cons of it and as well as where I can get a kit. Also I heard there are two kinds, ones with air bags and the others with cylinders?....any suggestions or tips? BTW if you guys can give a estimate of the price of it as well would be appreciated.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

air bags are use on trucks... air cylinders is what you will most likely be using.. they started making air struts but the cost way too much. If its your daily driver I wouldnt do it. It gets fustrating after a well.. I've been off and on bags on several different car. The accords look sick on bags as oppose to civic. On accords ish lays so hard, on civics it just looks like ur lowered.

goto www.suicidedoors.com for the starter kit. it shoul come with smc valves, switch box, tank, airline, etc.. The also provide tech support if you call them and any roblems u run into. I suggest you get the 3/8 setup rather that the 1/2 one ...its a lot more smooth.

for brackets and air cylinders goto www.coolcars.org

any extra fittings can get purchased at home depot

Here are some pix of my accord, I sold a month ago

Old 11-29-2008, 03:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Civic_07
Im looking into gettin an air ride suspension, can anyone tell me the pro's and cons of it and as well as where I can get a kit. Also I heard there are two kinds, ones with air bags and the others with cylinders?....any suggestions or tips? BTW if you guys can give a estimate of the price of it as well would be appreciated.
I have a whole kit for sale plus a bunch of brand new extras.

What I have on the car is...

4 cylinders....Way better than bags.. No roll in the corners ( 2 more brand new ones also)

2 5 gallon powdercoated tanks.

2 viair (sp) compressors

all the needed valves, plus I have several extra brand new ones.

couple air pressure guages.

Mounting brackets.

10 switch box to control everything

front, back, side to side, all up, all down, 3 wheel so on...

Everything to make it work and then some.

Over 3000 grand invested.

Make me a fair offer and I will remove it.

Less than 200 miles on it.

CALL ME IF INTERESTED.
662-305-5000
Old 11-29-2008, 06:12 PM

i have air lift struts on my civic and i love em. it rides great and i havent had a single problem in two years. i had a few minor issues with fittings leaking after install but thats normal. car handles great.

i do agree with suicidedoors.com they sell great stuff and ive delt with them for years.
i would do air stuts not cylnders, cylnders ride like crap.
i spend roughly 1800 for the base kit if i remember right.
you will want two compressors ( i recomend viair 480's) a 5 or 8 gal tank too.
also use a square d pressure switch, not them cheap ones that come with the kits.
call suicide doors and they will customize a kit for you, and they offer amazing tech support to if you should need it.

ive put air ride on a civic and a neon aswell

here is my civic, thats for sale too

Last edited by skcivic4life; 11-29-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I do not agree that cylinders ride like crap but to each their own.

I can set mine just above the tires and it is as smooth as anything I have ridden in. Even with the super low pro tires.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:44 PM

Default stick to springs

Air ride is for minitruckers...I used to have a mazda on bags as a daily driver and it was troublesome...leaks blowing bags and it rides like **** all the way up n u can't turn all the way down u gotta find a ride height and its easier to go with a digital set up so u can program dofferent heights 1 for driving,show/parking and one for up...u can also program ur alarm to ur valves and have it lay out when u hit ur alarm...I know a bunch of **** if u wanna pm me sometime if u need help or other specs
Old 11-30-2008, 01:32 PM

skibloosi me to had a 87 s10 bagged.....jason thornbeck at suicide doors is ur best bet he helped me suicide my s10 doors those guys are great....

hondas are not made to be bounced like mini trucks
Old 11-30-2008, 02:09 PM

I mean its cool youl get dumbass people asking u dumbass questions like do you drive it that low or how do u turn in that thing...I wouldn't bag a daily driver tho dude you'll be kickin urself in the *** later...my op is buy another car bag it and show it and drive it when u get a wild hair up ur ***...otherwise just get somthin and slam it to were u can just get in and go for everyday ****...that's why I got a honda cuase I was tired of waiting for my compressors and or going somewere and not being able to leave when I wanted to becuase I had a leak or one of my valves ****ed up...its a hassle wen it doesn't do what u want it to...but fun when u don't have ne problems with the maintenance
Old 11-30-2008, 02:13 PM

And one more thing lol use cylinders aka cans...so you can three wheel!! When I get to a pc ill post pics of a 96-00 hatch with cans layed out on 20s or u can go to www.surface-dvd.com and check it out urslef
Old 12-01-2008, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So true the cylinders does ride like crap, but none of the 5 different cars I had on air was daily driven....

Cosign honda are not made to be on air, but the look sick *** hell..

I can't wait until i finish up my body dropped 97 s-10..ish way too time consuming..
Old 12-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im planning to install in on a prelude which im going to be buying soon, and they look mad nice on a prelude. So I guess the verdict is better stick to coil overs or something?...is it a hassle to fix these air leaks or these valves? Any suggestions about air struts? Can you guys post more pics please?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's the pic of a lude i was talking about.
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2008, 05:52 PM

my civic was a daily driver even in the winter for 2 years and i never had a problem.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you get yours from suicide doors?...and do you have room for subs?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by skibloosi
Air ride is for minitruckers...I used to have a mazda on bags as a daily driver and it was troublesome...leaks blowing bags and it rides like **** all the way up n u can't turn all the way down u gotta find a ride height and its easier to go with a digital set up so u can program dofferent heights 1 for driving,show/parking and one for up...u can also program ur alarm to ur valves and have it lay out when u hit ur alarm...I know a bunch of **** if u wanna pm me sometime if u need help or other specs

Should not have any leaks or blow any bags if your setup is right. I've driven bagged vehicles for the past 7 years. Sounds to me like you had a shotty setup and weren't familiar with it. Of course its going to ride stiff all the way up, thats a given. Put a good set of shocks on it and lower it a little and it will ride great.

If I was doing a kit on a civic I would do a lot of research and piece it together myself. Really depends if you want something to bolt on or are willing to do some fabwork. Check out www.streetsourcemag.com . Look at some owner profiles and look at their setups to see if its what you want.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 PM

Everything ive ever had on air was done at a shop pro done and no matter what ur gonna blow lines and or bags its just how you play with ur ****...in the winter some vavles wanna stick becuase of snow or ice or condensation...if you have nitrogen or c02 to run ur bags somtimes if u run too much psi youll blow a bag or freez a line just maintain ur **** well and you wont have problems but thats with anything...if u have a big trunk youll have room for subs or make pods for either side of ur trunk or a custom enclosure....that ****in prelude is sick btw...not too fond of kits...but its pretty clean. tips on keeping lines good and tight stick each end in vasaline after the tape and then connect them to you connections should prevent leaking and make sure all ur lines are straight cuts into a connection heres some pix of my truck

Old 12-02-2008, 09:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Some pics

I can drop another inch at least in the rear.
Attached Images      
Old 12-03-2008, 04:35 PM

Hmmm...I like the front end...all cf...thats what I wanna do with mine cf fenders, trunk, hood, lip, doors and roof no kit tho
Old 12-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do these cars ride nice ? i heard that they bounce alot and corner like **** .....just curious .... not talking **** !
Old 12-03-2008, 09:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by xxwhixx
do these cars ride nice ? i heard that they bounce alot and corner like **** .....just curious .... not talking **** !
No bounce here, unless its all up or all down. Corners very well. But I don't have bags which I know is not good in corners.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:17 PM

yea cornering...SUCKS *** its better lower than higher...ride is smooth as **** if u can find a nice ride hieght like on the freeway and ok on streets...like a caddy