Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Air ride on my sol??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air ride on my sol??

I think im going to equip my yel sol with AIR ride, but whats the neg and pos of it..Tell me recommend or not...
PRICE is around 2g with everything in the kit.
Attached Images   
Old 01-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air ride on my sol??

I wouldn't recommend it. I personally think it is ridiculous and serves of no benefit. This is my opinion, but lets look at the facts.

- This setup would weigh much more than a quality shock & spring setup

- I believe the compressor and other solenoids would be problematic and unreliable. I have been around air ride systems. The bags are usually good in a quality kit, but the electronics and valves see a lot of wear. I definitely doesn't have Honda reliability written on it.

- This setup will not provide good performance. I believe ride quality would be decent, but extremely soft and bouncy. This kit eliminates your spring, and replaces it with an air trampoline. I wouldn't feel safe pushing this setup in the turns.

- For the $2k you would spend on this "GQ dragging frame" crap, you could buy a full set of quality coil-overs, sway bars, polyurethane bushings, and brake swap.

To each his own. I tend to be more function oriented and performance minded. However, I think that air ride is for min-trucks that handle like crap anyways. Save your Sol the pain, and give it the quality suspension it deserves.

-XLR8

Last edited by iliv2xlr8; 01-12-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It all depends on what your goal is for your Sol. If you are wanting it to be more performance style then I wouldnt do it. Air ride equipped vehicles corner decent but nowhere near as well as a quality shock/spring setup.

There is alot more weight involved with having tanks, valves, lines, fittings, compressors, and the such, but again if you arent going for that performance aspect then thats not a big deal.

If you just want something fun that gets alot of attention then do it. I have air on my
EJ1 and I love it. Im not a racer at all so I could care less about weight and cornering and all that.

Airride equipped vehicles can be just as reliable as anything else, daily driven and whatnot, as long as you use quality parts, install it correctly, and take care of it. Just like everything else, maintenance is huge.

What it comes down to is personal preference, so you do what you think you would enjoy the most. Its your car and you have to drive it.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will add...

$2k is a lot of money to go up and down.

I spent half that on my B18C1 supercharger kit.....

Just some food for thought.

-XLR8