Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Air Pressure From Dip Stick

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Pressure From Dip Stick

Alright, since noone in the hybrid forum wants to really help ill try here. i just finished up a jdm gsr swap in my girlfriend's car(ej2). After i run the engine I can pull the dip stick and air will come out making a pshhhhh sound. Ive changed the PCV valve to see if that would help, but to no avail. The car idles good, feels strong, and doesnt smoke as far as i know. What are the chances of the black box that the pcv plugs into being clogged? Or what are some other things that could cause this besides rings. I just recieved this swap from hmotorsonline and i would hate it if he sent me a shitty engine.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air Pressure From Dip Stick (LudeSH)

Are you pulling the dipstick out with the engine still running?

The symptoms that you are describing are making it sound that way. It would make no sense for you to pull the dipstick out while the car is running.

Bump for some answers though................
Old 05-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air Pressure From Dip Stick (jdmztrane)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmztrane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you pulling the dipstick out with the engine still running?

The symptoms that you are describing are making it sound that way. It would make no sense for you to pull the dipstick out while the car is running.

Bump for some answers though................</TD></TR></TABLE>

Read carefully man, it says after i run the engine...
Old 05-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well maybe its just air trapped in the dip stick tube. Just a thought. If the car is off, it obviously isnt gonna hurt anything. I would say not to worry about it unless you start noticing problems with performance.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmztrane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well maybe its just air trapped in the dip stick tube. Just a thought. If the car is off, it obviously isnt gonna hurt anything. I would say not to worry about it unless you start noticing problems with performance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, well air comes out when the engine is running also(i dont normally take the dipstick out when its running). Air also comes out after i turn the engine off and remove the dipstick. If air is coming out of the dipstick after the engine is off something isnt right. I worry about things before hand to prevent me having to spend *** loads of money.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright.... well is it a constant gush of air or is it only when you take the dipstick out and its like a puff. If its constant then idk what the hell kind of motor it is .

If its just a little puff, its probably just air that was trapped in there from the last time you pulled it out, and its fine. If not, I have no clue what it is.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, well i got it to stop by pulling the pvc valve out of the little black box and letting it vent to the atmosphere. Im guessing something is clogged in the pcv valve hose to the manifold.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess that motor is telling you something.....BOOOST =P the dipstick tube wants to be a BOV
Old 05-17-2006, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudeSH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, well i got it to stop by pulling the pvc valve out of the little black box and letting it vent to the atmosphere. Im guessing something is clogged in the pcv valve hose to the manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, it sounds like you have excessive crank case pressure.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudeSH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, well i got it to stop by pulling the pvc valve out of the little black box and letting it vent to the atmosphere. Im guessing something is clogged in the pcv valve hose to the manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>
There still shouldn't be any pressure, it should go out the fresh air port on the valve cover.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air Pressure From Dip Stick (Chiovnidca)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There still shouldn't be any pressure, it should go out the fresh air port on the valve cover.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Especially when the engine is off, and there is no pressure being built up inside the engine.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:33 AM
...still your worst nightmare squared

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There still shouldn't be any pressure, it should go out the fresh air port on the valve cover.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have one of those stupid crank case breather filters on the valve cover?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air Pressure From Dip Stick (JDM knowledge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM knowledge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have one of those stupid crank case breather filters on the valve cover? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, right now its just venting into the air.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudeSH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nope, right now its just venting into the air.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You sure it's not plugged up?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You sure it's not plugged up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, because i can feel air coming out.