Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Air intakes: Benefit in changing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air intakes: Benefit in changing?

Hey guys,

My 97 HX has taken a small hit to mpg and I'm trying to get it back up. I was getting 37-38, but only got 31-32 on the last fill up.

Dug up the following threads:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2309587
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2311044

Couple outside of HT

http://www.clubcivic.com/board...63767
http://www.clubintegra.com/boa...10918

My question is:

Those of you that have short/long ram, what differences have you seen?
Has anyone tried both short and long ram intakes?
Did impact your MPG?

One thing is my engine is throwing the insufficient EGR flow code

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2151691

...but I was getting 35+ with the code. I'll probably clean the chamber and replace the gasket this weekend.

Any other thoughts or opinions?

Thanks,
Old 06-06-2008, 06:06 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Air intakes: Benefit in changing? (mohater)

Sorry if me skipping those links results in a redundant question for you.

So have you tried a K&N drop-in filter yet? I'd try that first before going with an aftermarket intake kit altogether.

MPG-wise when's the last time your valves were adjusted? Out of spec valve clearance has a pretty big affect on mpg, yet it's the most common overlooked aspect of mpg. On that D16Y5 i'd adjust the valves every 30K miles.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:08 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Air intakes: Benefit in changing? (B18C5-EH2)

BTW sorry for the extra reply.

Also you have to consider gasoline now has 10% ethanol, which decreases mpg anyways.

Also most people won't be able to give you a good, straight answer on intake vs. mpg because most people who get them aren't doing it for mpg, but for performnce and sound. I'd argue that most would see a decrease in mpg due to a change in driving habits after then intake install. More full throttle pulls to hear/feel the intake = less miles per tank.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air intakes: Benefit in changing? (B18C5-EH2)

Nah, no redundancy there, thanks for the reply.

I was stuck between getting a cone vs a stock size K&N.

Never adjusted my valves (on my 92 CX before I sold it or this thing). I've had the HX for ~year now and it's at ~140k.

Is there a guide on adjusting the valves on HT?

I'll go pick up a stock size k&n filer this weekend - thanks.

I've seen a couple of people selling long ram intakes claiming what their mpg gain was, but everyone else on the various forums is out for performance gains.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:43 AM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1305086

You should clean out your EGR as well if you are getting a CEL for it, don't you think?
Old 06-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air intakes: Benefit in changing? (Swerv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Swerv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1305086

You should clean out your EGR as well if you are getting a CEL for it, don't you think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who said he was getting a CEL/MIL? Anyways, when was the last time you did a tune up or an oil change? That'll affect your gas mileage as well
Old 06-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the response guys.

I've been waiting for a clear day to do the EGR chamber and gasket (been raining and crazy busy).

Just changed the oil and got a free tune up like 5k ago courtesy of the extended warranty by Honda on certain 96-98 models (thank you state of California for your frivolous lawsuits).
Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Air intakes: Benefit in changing? (SuckMyDOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mohater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One thing is my engine is throwing the insufficient EGR flow code

...but I was getting 35+ with the code. I'll probably clean the chamber and replace the gasket this weekend.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um, he did...why not read the OP before acting like I'm the idiot...

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are ignorant, than to open it and remove all doubt."
Old 06-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Swerv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Um, he did...why not read the OP before acting like I'm the idiot...

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are ignorant, than to open it and remove all doubt."</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like I said, I just need to find time to do it. Since it wasn't affecting the drive or MPG, I put it on the back burner. Had to do the driver side cv shaft and then last couple weekends have been crazy busy... I'll probably do it tomorrow morning or so.

Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:12 AM

No prob, man. I wasn't trying to rag on you for not getting to it, just suggesting that it may help your mileage and performance if and when...

I can tell you that a drop in K&N helped my mileage and throttle response. A good fuel system cleaner, like BG-44K, may clean out old carbon deposits and get things running more efficiently. Many mechanics and myself swear by that stuff.

As far as changing intakes, B18C5-EH2 is correct- most will suffer in mileage due to driving harder for the cool factor. I can tell you from personal experience that's what happened to me and I prefer the mellower sound and smoother throttle response of a lightly modified stock intake system. That with a good exhaust sytem could get you up to 40mpg...assuming everything else is in good working order. G'luck!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What stores sell BG-44K?

Apparently autozone doesn't sell it.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (mohater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mohater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Just changed the oil and got a free tune up like 5k ago courtesy of the extended warranty by Honda on certain 96-98 models (thank you state of California for your frivolous lawsuits).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha! Been there done that. But before you do anything to the EGR, take in consideration that that and any emissions sensors are covered by the extended warrant if your still under 150k. If so take it to the dealer they would have to repair it free. If any bull comes from them you can always call American Honda on their asses and they'll get **** talked by them. Believe me I gotten a crap load of new sensors from them cuz they busted up. They tried to deny it so I printed the bulletin up with the list of what's covered plus I called AH on them and bam....the next morning they were even serving me coffee.LoL By the way if you call AH they will even tell you if there are any recalls in your car just by your VIN you might want to check that out too.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mortificationrock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Haha! Been there done that. But before you do anything to the EGR, take in consideration that that and any emissions sensors are covered by the extended warrant if your still under 150k. If so take it to the dealer they would have to repair it free. If any bull comes from them you can always call American Honda on their asses and they'll get **** talked by them. Believe me I gotten a crap load of new sensors from them cuz they busted up. They tried to deny it so I printed the bulletin up with the list of what's covered plus I called AH on them and bam....the next morning they were even serving me coffee.LoL By the way if you call AH they will even tell you if there are any recalls in your car just by your VIN you might want to check that out too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They gave me new plugs, wires, cat, dizzy cap and rotor because of the warranty, but said the EGR code was not covered.

Did you get the insufficient flow code for the EGR fixed by them? They told me since it's not the actual EGR, it's not covered.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mohater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They gave me new plugs, wires, cat, dizzy cap and rotor because of the warranty, but said the EGR code was not covered.

Did you get the insufficient flow code for the EGR fixed by them? They told me since it's not the actual EGR, it's not covered. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well my car has no EGR. Have u tried taking it to another dealer. Just take it to them anything that triggers a Mil/cel has to be checked by them for free. Call AH and ask them. I can't find the Bulletin right now cuz im on my Sidekick so I can't post a link for you. They would atleast have to tell you why you got that code and they would have to fix anything that triggers a MiL as long as its sensor related. As in not wiring and stuff. Believe me I had to take it to a diffirent dealer once too. What dealer did you take it too? Please don't tell me Honda of Downtown L.A cuz they are full of crap believe me. Take it to Downey World Honda by the 5 and 605. They have great Customer Service and they didn't give me all that BS Downtown did
Old 06-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahah - I'm no where near LA. I'm in Michigan.

I've got a link to the bulletin. I'll call the other dealer closer to me to see if they will cover it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: Thanks for the suggestion man. Just called the other dealer, and he said "it would be covered as long as we read that code when you bring it in"

Got an appointment to drop it off on Monday for them to read the code.

Hahaha, I'm at 140k, only 10k left on this warranty.

Modified by mohater at 1:20 PM 6/6/2008
Old 06-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on me for bringing up my state. Must have confused you with the other thread I was responding too which he's from L.A. Any ways im glad its working out for you, see I told you some dealers are just picky and ****. Well let us know how it turns out !
Old 06-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

muhahahahah - thanks again man.

I ordered some parts from u envy kenny here on HT (https://honda-tech.com/zerouser?cmd=...e&id=999433502) to clean the EGR port myself (following Tegger's guide) - and now the dealer is getting me a new EGR valve, gasket, and cleaning the chamber and all the ports.

ON TOP OF IT - they were going to charge me for the rings, cushions, etc - but I already had them since I ordered them from Kenny (and he got me a DEAL on the parts).

btw: If anyone needs honda/acura parts - give Kenny a call (# in his sig). He works at the Acura dealer, so you'll have to give him the part #.