Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air horn

ok so i wanted to know how do i install air horns on my car i just bought em
Old 10-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They didnt come with instructions? If the unit runs alone (meaning you dont need an extra compressor to run them) they should be able to work with the stock horn wiring.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

i guess i can bring it to the auto sound/security shop and they can install for me should be fairly quick
Old 10-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly hope they don't install them for you.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I honestly hope they don't install them for you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

explain... is it that easy?
Old 10-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Midori Green)

I think he means that he hopes they don't install them for you because airhorns on a civic are pointless/stupid.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: (kaluwa3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaluwa3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think he means that he hopes they don't install them for you because airhorns on a civic are pointless/stupid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually when it comes to security they're pretty good they are unexpectedly loud which is a good thing imo
Old 10-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaluwa3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think he means that he hopes they don't install them for you because airhorns on a civic are pointless/stupid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Close.

I was actually thinking about the unlucky bastard that gets startled by the train horn behind him and swerves off the road.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

someone that complains about "no tech" comments, sure does spew out a lot of general discussion bs. a horn is a horn, meant to get your attention or provide better security. He's asking on an install not your opinion Mr. Wannabe Archidictus
Old 10-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: air horn (Midori Green)

If you've got self contained air horns they should be a simple hook up. I purchased some 'motorcycle' air horns off ebay and I'm pleased with them. People often overlook simple performance.....better lighting, better horns, etc. The units I got look like a snail shell. I believe the brand name was Nautilus, but I can't be certain. Simply locate the positive lead on the factory horn and that means the other wire is ground. Power the horn accordingly. If you've only got one wire going to the horn it means your car is utilizing the chassis mount as the ground and you should as well. Now you should be able to hear that puny factory Civic horn at highway speeds and so should others. If you've opted for the trendy 'train' style horn with separate compressor and tank, then you've got your hands full. You'll have to run some wires, tubes, etc., but hey, at least if you get a flat on the road you'll have air to fill the tires. Have fun installing the 'train' style horns if that's what you have, I haven't done one of those yet.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: air horn (RIZOBIZERT)

i hope nobody overlooks him cause they are trying to find the kenworth thats bearing down on them...most people do think big when they hear an airhorn
Old 10-21-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: (rivaladore)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rivaladore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">someone that complains about "no tech" comments, sure does spew out a lot of general discussion bs. a horn is a horn, meant to get your attention or provide better security. He's asking on an install not your opinion Mr. Wannabe Archidictus</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-21-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Re: air horn (RIZOBIZERT)

they are the self contained air horn type
Old 10-21-2007, 04:38 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (rivaladore)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rivaladore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">someone that complains about "no tech" comments, sure does spew out a lot of general discussion bs. a horn is a horn, meant to get your attention or provide better security. He's asking on an install not your opinion Mr. Wannabe Archidictus</TD></TR></TABLE>
If someone drives past you and blows an airhorn, it does not get your attention. It freaks you the expletive out. You can't really tell where it comes from.

An airhorn is potentially dangerous and I believe illegal on many roads.

So just as a heads up to the OP, these might get you in a lot of trouble. Both from the police and from neighbors or other drivers. Don't be surprised if you blow your horn and it scares someone so badly that they swerve into your car.

There's enough drivers on the road that are driving scared or not paying attention. This is not a good addition to that mix.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

Well look at the air horn, there should be two terminals on the unit or maybe just one. If its two terminals then one of them is ground and the other is the hot when button is depressed side. I don't know about the 96+ Honda horn location but on the 92-95 civics its on the front passenger side right behind the bumper vent. Well depending on were it it disconnect it and leave the wires hanging, Look at how the original horn is mounted, is there room to put the air horn there? if there is then remove the stock on and put the new one in its location if there isn't then your probably going to have to make a bracket or find a hole some were along the engine bay to mount it. Cut, lengthen and splice new terminals onto the original ones and just plug them in, there you go. If you blow a fuse when you honk check all your connections and if everything is good replace the fuse with something a little bit higher for the extra amperage the horn is drawing. -ejoner
Old 10-21-2007, 04:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If someone drives past you and blows an airhorn, it does not get your attention. It freaks you the expletive out. You can't really tell where it comes from.

An airhorn is potentially dangerous and I believe illegal on many roads.

So just as a heads up to the OP, these might get you in a lot of trouble. Both from the police and from neighbors or other drivers. Don't be surprised if you blow your horn and it scares someone so badly that they swerve into your car.

There's enough drivers on the road that are driving scared or not paying attention. This is not a good addition to that mix.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i understand but i honestly dont go honking my horn every 2 seconds... honestly im lucky if i use my horn once a week and i dont know what air horns u are talking about but the ones i have are just a portion louder than stock not crazy loud... when it comes down to it i think they have more positives than negatives
Old 10-21-2007, 05:05 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i understand but i honestly dont go honking my horn every 2 seconds... honestly im lucky if i use my horn once a week and i dont know what air horns u are talking about but the ones i have are just a portion louder than stock not crazy loud... when it comes down to it i think they have more positives than negatives </TD></TR></TABLE>
I couldn't tell you the last time I had to use my horn. Oh wait, I remember. It's when I was on my up to drop off my car for paint two or three weeks ago. A woman drifted into my lane and I beeped to say, "Hey, I'm here. Please don't hit me." She flipped me the bird. At least she got back in her lane though.

If the one you have is just a bit louder than stock, it's not what most people think of when you say "air horn". An air horn works with compressed air. You know how people in this thread keep mentioning train and semi horns? Those are air horns. The kind of sound that sends shivers up your spine because it's so loud.

http://images.google.com/image...ab=wi

Better yet, I'll let you hear some. Might not want your volume too high for some of these.

- '37 GMC Rat Rod with Air Horn
- Nissan Frontier with Air Horn
- Pontiac Grand Am with Air Horn
- '06 Honda Pilot with Air Horns Connected to Alarm
- 5G Honda Civic with Train Air Horn

Modified by NOFX at 6:16 PM 10/21/2007
Old 10-21-2007, 05:59 PM

wow those people look like they cherish air horns... its not that serious my air horns are not even close to that loud nor even have a compressor... by the way that last video had me rollin of the civic rofll
Old 10-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Darth ModerVader

If you don't want to pay for the shop to install them and you're in the NYC metro area, you can PM me to arrange to stop by and I'll help you with the installation.