Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Air conditioning removal and questions~!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air conditioning removal and questions~!

I have a 92 dx hb and I am wanting to get rid of the a/c on account of that I never use it, and do not plan to. I have heard you should have it discharged profesionally, but it an be done by yourself. Anyway, if you are wanting to sell the a/c system as complete after the removal, how much do you remove? I guess I need to look at my helms manual, but i only have a manual for a 99, maybe it will be the same, or next to same process correct? Also, I will not loose my heat will I? I sure hope not, but if so, I will probably leave it in. Would anybody happen to have instructions? I have searched and found a pdf for acura installation, but not for civic removal. I am wanting to sell the unit as complete afterwords but am unsure how much to remove. Again, does anybody have instructions, or certain procedures that would make this easier? Thank you!
Old 11-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air conditioning removal and questions~! (PhoebeusFenix)

Anybody?
Old 11-13-2005, 12:50 PM

as a whole unit to sell. i would want in a buyers stand point

1. the ac condenser
2. ac lines
3. compressor
4. the ac mount
5. the silver canister i forgot the name of

well u should really get the freon taken out professionally but i just did a swap and my buddy just took the ac line off and let it leak out. stupid yes but it worked.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wont loose my heat will I? Isnt the heater just basically the engines extra heat being let out?
Old 11-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Banned

This should give you an idea of all of the parts in the A/C system:

Old 11-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man! I was just on hondaautomotive parts looking for a schematic like that.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still havent had the heat question answered. I will not loose my heat will I?
Old 11-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Banned

Default Re: (PhoebeusFenix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhoebeusFenix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Still havent had the heat question answered. I will not loose my heat will I?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There will be no affect on the heater system. If you remove the evaporator as a unit (box and all, #18 in diagram), you will need to make a transition duct from the blower to the heater box. You will also need to plug the hole in the firewall where the A/C lines go through.

Dave
Old 11-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, thanks again Man!
Old 11-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Banned

I also suggest you call a local A/C shop, or full service body shop, with an A/C recovery system and tell them you want to remove your A/C. Since the refigerant is reusable, they may evacuate it for you for free if you give them your refigerant. Good luck!

Dave
Old 11-13-2005, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RaceCity_USA)

Alright, I got the cooler radiator type deal(what is the correct name for this?) and the fan on it. The little small aluminum can, and the wiring. My question on the wiring, from the fan, I followed it all the way back to the far left, where there is a connector, do I need to follow it any further? Or just disconnect it because it looks like the radiator fan is connected on a branch of that same wire. So do I just stop at the connector with the wires? Also, is the condensor(this is the big part connected to the belt correct?) very hard to remove? is it just the 4 or so bolts connected to the motor. My bay already looks a lot cleaner, gotta do some major block cleaning though.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:42 PM

do what me and my bro did. we just took the cap off and discharged it with a screw driver and a towel wrapped around our head (for pertection perposes) then we just unscrewed everything
Old 11-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Banned

The "cooler radiator type deal" is the condensor. The "little small aluminum can" is the receiver/dryer. The "big part connected to the belt" is the compressor. For the wires, just tape over the connectors and tape or tie-wrap them up out of the way. There are connectors for the condensor fan, the compressor, and another for the pressure switch, which should be in the line between the condensor and receiver/dryer. The compressor is bolted to the block, as you say. You will need to block off the hole left by the condensor so air will go through the radiator instead of around it through the hole. Also, keep everything as clean as possible and tape over all of the openings where lines are removed, especially on the compressor. The oil is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture from the air.

Having fun yet?
Dave
Old 11-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually I am having a ton of fun. I love taking stuff apart, makes it fun as hell. How would you block off the place where the condensor was? So if I were going to sell this I dont need to include the wiring past the place where the connector is? How do you go about getting the belt off? Just work it around? I appreciate all the help man.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhoebeusFenix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually I am having a ton of fun. I love taking stuff apart, makes it fun as hell. How would you block off the place where the condensor was? So if I were going to sell this I dont need to include the wiring past the place where the connector is? How do you go about getting the belt off? Just work it around? I appreciate all the help man.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Glad to hear you're having fun. I like taking stuff apart too!

You can block off the hole temporarily with some corrugated cardboard until you can replace that with a sheet of plastic or aluminum. Just make sure it can't blow out.
You would have to completely dismantle the wiring harness to remove all the wires for the A/C system.
There should be a belt tension adjuster you can loosen and remove the belt.

Dave
Old 11-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The belt tensioner isnt the same one that is connected to the timing belt is it? I have a new timing belt and tensioner for my 99 ex coupe I should probably install sometime soon.

Also, will it hurt to drive it without something blocking up the hole where the condensor was?

Modified by PhoebeusFenix at 3:38 AM 11/14/2005
Old 11-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhoebeusFenix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The belt tensioner isnt the same one that is connected to the timing belt is it? I have a new timing belt and tensioner for my 99 ex coupe I should probably install sometime soon.
Also, will it hurt to drive it without something blocking up the hole where the condensor was?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it's not the timing belt. There is an idler pully (#14) with a tensioner bolt (#19).

Will it hurt to drive with the hole open? I don't know for sure. In stop and go driving, probably not as the fan will move enough air through the radiator to keep things cool. On the highway, the air will want to go around the radiator instead of through it. If it gets hot enough, the fan will come on, and may keep it cool, I really don't know.

Dave
Old 11-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, I wish I could give rep points on here. Your like the most informative and helpful person I think i have talked to on honda-tech. Thanks a lot man, I am wanting to do this really clean and make it look nice, and good diagrams help. Where did you find them by the way?
Old 11-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Banned

Thanks Scott, glad to help. To find out where a pic comes from, right click on it and select "Properties" from the pop-up menu.

Dave
Old 11-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, I wish I could give rep points on here. Your like the most informative and helpful person I think i have talked to on honda-tech. Thanks a lot man, I am wanting to do this really clean and make it look nice, and good diagrams help. Where did you find them by the way?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:49 PM

hi nice to see other people who are not afraid of the heat. what i mean by that every body i know keeps there ac because theye say its too hot. i removed mine off of my hatch aswell. the reciver dryer canot be reused, and to remove the belt for the ac i cut the belt off and removed the tensioner bracket. on the ilustration its #13, you can sell the lines,compresor,condensor, and evaporator thats about it.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was also wondering, im working on removing the belt without cutting it. Can you remove the pully that it is attached to onto the block? Or does that need to stay?
Old 11-15-2005, 11:49 AM

i was lazy so i cut it , but if you want to keep the belt just remove all the tension of the belt and it should come off, you can remove the tensioner bracket i thnk its two bolts.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:52 AM

Thats alot of crap in the dash and all.
I took my out all the way to the firewall, did not mess with takin the dash apart, once you take that apart its never the same. I learned that lesson once.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:52 AM

o and I still got some burn your face off heat.

Curtis

Quick Reply: Air conditioning removal and questions~!