Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Air Conditioning help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning help

Ok. I did a search but didnt come up with anything pertaining to my problem unless I missed something outta the 152 threads.

Ok I turn on the A/C and the air is nice and cold then after driving a very short distance the air gets hot. I took it (92 civic si) to a friends shop yesterday but he couldnt figure it out. So far this is I know the relays are all in working condition (tested this morning), freon is on par, compressor works and then shuts off and never comes back on. Why does the compressor work but after driving a short distance does it cut off and never come back on? If anyone can help me with this problem I would be very appreciative.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air Conditioning help (awdwagon)

ttt
Old 05-12-2004, 10:34 AM

i dunno....what about your a/c belt. is it nice and tight and in good shape. maybe when u speed up, the belt goes up in speed and maybe its outta shape or something. thats all i can think of. just one more thing to look at. it only takes 2 secs to make sure the belt is ok and doesnt have too much play in it.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:38 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by awdwagon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok. I did a search but didnt come up with anything pertaining to my problem unless I missed something outta the 152 threads.

Ok I turn on the A/C and the air is nice and cold then after driving a very short distance the air gets hot. I took it (92 civic si) to a friends shop yesterday but he couldnt figure it out. So far this is I know the relays are all in working condition (tested this morning), freon is on par, compressor works and then shuts off and never comes back on. Why does the compressor work but after driving a short distance does it cut off and never come back on? If anyone can help me with this problem I would be very appreciative.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My money is on that your R12 level is NOT up to par. When you have leaked most of your freon out, it will get cold right when you turn it on, then get warm, and sometimes cycle back and forth. The comressor has a sensor that detects the system's pressure...if you leak out enough R12 and the system gets below the necessary pressure, the compressor won't run [this is so you won't damage any of the components of your system, like your condenser]. Get your system PROPERLY [i can't stress this enough] recharged.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the belts are nice and tight. The R12 is on par. I took it to a friends shop yesterday and he checked everything that after he reved the car up for a period of time it shut off and never came back on. He wanted me to come back today because he says its an electrical problem and he was going to get the wiring diagrams ready and go over everything. I am starting to think that its the ecu or the Hondata. I am going to have the shop that tuned my car turn that feature off (where it cuts off the compressor at a certain rpm/throttle position.

Hmm any other ideas?
Old 05-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 05-12-2004, 12:41 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (awdwagon)

bad low preasure switch
Old 05-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm. possibly. However today I took it back to my friends shop. He looked at and checked everything over and he seems to think the fan clutch on the compressor is bad. The A/C is nice and cold forever and works good until I put it under load (start driving) then the A/C compressor shuts down and never comes back on. he says that it doesnt have enough pressure to engage under load or something to that effect. However if that were the case the part I dont understand is why doesnt it engage when the car is just idleing again or when i turn it off and back on while idleing. I would assume that its strong enough to egage at least at idle like it has been doing as soon as I turn it on.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 05-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 07-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<FONT COLOR="red"><FONT SIZE="4">*UPDATE*</FONT> </FONT>

Problem was fixed. Turned out to be a bad compressor clutch and compressor clutch coil. So $390 later I finally have A/C. It's not extremely cold like I would prefer but I'm sure not gonna complain about it.