Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Air Conditioning cold, but not cold enough!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning cold, but not cold enough!

94 Honda Civic. The A/C is sort of cold and working. The compressor is engaging. The problem is that the air is just barely cooler than the ambient temperature.
I put a guage on the low pressure line and it is reading about 40 PSI, so that looks good. I looked at the evaporator and cleaned out any leaves, but it was mostly clean already.
I noticed that the low pressure line is not very cold at all. It too, is just barely cooler than regular air temperature.
So in recap: A/C is cool, just not cool enough. Compressor clutch is engaging and not cycling on and off. It remains on. There are water puddles under the car, so it's pulling moisture out. The low pressure line is in what I understand to be a good range (35-45 psi) There are no wild fluctuations on that reading, it is very constant at 40 psi. The low pressure line is not very cold at all, either. Condensor is free of debrit, and the condensor fan is running.
Any ideas of what's preventing it from getting nice and cold?
Old 04-13-2006, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Air Conditioning cold, but not cold enough! (Zbad1)

I'm having this same issue.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Air Conditioning cold, but not cold enough! (LOABA)

Yeah, and it's getting HOT in DFW, TX!!
Old 04-14-2006, 07:42 AM

Out of every

do you have aftermarket headers? or a heatshield on your current headers?
Old 06-17-2006, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Air Conditioning cold, but not cold enough! (e gee two)

this pisses me off too. i have it on full blast for 20 mins and it bearly gets cooler than ambient air.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

may have air in the system, i had the same problem and vacuumed out my whole system then refilled it with new freon and my A/C is Ice cold 1 minute after i startup the car. check your line make sure u have no leaks, check valves make sure they do not leak. i recommend a system purge along with a vacuum. be careful though there is a sweet spot if u go too high on PSI u will trip the high low switch. and its a pain trying to recover from that problem. remember no air, no water, = ice cold A/C
Old 06-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mv1luv)

Where is the high side pressure at? This is basically the amount of charge you have. Also, 92-95 civics have a problem with the ecu relating to a/c. (trust me on this one, I just recently had one for five days and had to figure this out. On top of that, my hand got wrapped up in the belt while it was running and my thumb got cut off) sewn back on now though. Anyway, the compressor stays on all the time no matter what. So, with the car running, and the switch off, the clutch is engaged while the condenser fan is off, causing the freon to overheat and spike the high side. When this happens, the compressor will sometimes "purge" freon out through the high pressure relief valve, causing a low amount of freon, causing coolish a/c.

So, see where your high side reading is at and make sure the compressor cycles properly. It needs to cycle so the freon isn't constantly moving. It needs to be held in the evaporator so the freon has time to cool off in the condenser and return back to its liquid state.

Vapor freon = not cold
Liquid freon = cold
Old 06-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mv1luv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mv1luv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">may have air in the system, i had the same problem and vacuumed out my whole system then refilled it with new freon and my A/C is Ice cold 1 minute after i start up the car. check your line make sure u have no leaks, check valves make sure they do not leak. i recommend a system purge along with a vacuum. be careful though there is a sweet spot if u go too high on PSI u will trip the high low switch. and its a pain trying to recover from that problem. remember no air, no water, = ice cold A/C</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only way he would have air in the system is if the system was open, not vacuumed, and charged. Also, he shouldn't have to worry about an overcharge if he is using a proper machine that will charge to the system specs. If you are not using a machine, don't expect your a/c to be in the 30's. I recommend replacing the dryer if the system is to be serviced.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my friend just bought this machine for $6,000..it's made for the R-32a or whatever it's called as well as freon.. It's like a big dialosis machine, you connect it to both ends, it sucks everything out of the system, recycles it, rates what it can and can't use, disposes what it can't use, then pumps it back up from both ends to minimize uneven pressure distribution and fills it up to the maximum, no air, no water, nothing but freon or R32a... the machine is pretty badass, we hooked it up to my dad's Jetta and out of 75psi being the highest, it kicked it to 74.8, which it says in the book there's sometimes when it'll be off a few PSI, but it blows ice cold now.... Yeah, just thought I'd mention that

As per-ur problem, it so sounds like the concensor isn't getting air flow, might wanna pull that and make sure it's running aight, the reason why the clutch isn't turning the compressor off is b/c the thermostat is working properly and it realizes it's not blowing cold enough so it keeps trying.. But u said u looked at the conensor already.......Blah.... I don't know, it sounds like the compressor isn't cooling the air, there's no real way to tell if it's working properly other than to swap it out....first I'd try vaccuming it out and pumping it back in...b/c the only things i can see (thermo seems to be working, condensor seems to be working, u said hte evap is working) is air or water in the system, or the compressor isn't functioning right and is about to die..
Old 06-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friend just bought this machine for $6,000..it's made for the R-32a or whatever it's called as well as freon.. It's like a big dialosis machine, you connect it to both ends, it sucks everything out of the system, recycles it, rates what it can and can't use, disposes what it can't use, then pumps it back up from both ends to minimize uneven pressure distribution and fills it up to the maximum, no air, no water, nothing but freon or R32a... the machine is pretty badass, we hooked it up to my dad's Jetta and out of 75psi being the highest, it kicked it to 74.8, which it says in the book there's sometimes when it'll be off a few PSI, but it blows ice cold now.... Yeah, just thought I'd mention that

As per-ur problem, it so sounds like the concensor isn't getting air flow, might wanna pull that and make sure it's running aight, the reason why the clutch isn't turning the compressor off is b/c the thermostat is working properly and it realizes it's not blowing cold enough so it keeps trying.. But u said u looked at the conensor already.......Blah.... I don't know, it sounds like the compressor isn't cooling the air, there's no real way to tell if it's working properly other than to swap it out....first I'd try vaccuming it out and pumping it back in...b/c the only things i can see (thermo seems to be working, condensor seems to be working, u said hte evap is working) is air or water in the system, or the compressor isn't functioning right and is about to die..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry dude, but, its r134a or r12 for auto a/c. r22 for home. In this case its r134a. I'm not being an ***, but, you are completely wrong on your diag for this guy. So, OP do not listen to his statement.

If you want to doubt me, keep in mind I have 3 certifications in a/c alone. One of them being an ASE. I also have 5 other ASE's and have been a professional
mechanic for over 5 years.

BTW: the condenser and evaporator don't "move" anything. They are just holding cells for the freon.

Modified by B20 EJ6 at 8:56 PM 6/17/2006
Old 06-17-2006, 10:39 AM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B20 EJ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zbad1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, and it's getting HOT in DFW, TX!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

x99346936, my ac sucks.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Air Conditioning cold, but not cold enough! (e gee two)

Mine makes my vents frosty!
Old 06-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air Conditioning cold, but not cold enough! (Hondaciv95VX)

prove with pictures
Old 06-17-2006, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Air Conditioning cold, but not cold enough! (Cory Matthews)

Low should be about 25-50 psi, High side should be no more than 150-200 Check these pressures and we will see where you are at.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air Conditioning cold, but not cold enough! (stock_honda_coupe)

i would say to recharge the system. i dont know much im trying to get my ase's but thats wha i think i might be. jus my 0.02 cents
Old 06-17-2006, 06:13 PM

if you put a thermostat in the AC vent what should it be at ?
Old 06-17-2006, 06:19 PM

i just replaced my compressor, and got a new drier and filled it and it dosn't get nearly cold enough. so basically what ppl are saying is, get it vacumed, and filled? how much does this cost? and where can you get it done? just anywhere or what? thanks
Old 06-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air Conditioning cold, but not cold enough! (littlegreenb18)

it can be done either at a shop or if you have a lic. for buy it at the store. make sure if you take it to a shop they dont try to jack you.
1. make sure to ask how much your system had. they cant get old and replace it.
2.i think 92-up uses R132a so make sure they use that, or think its best.
3.they cant charge you for 3 pounds when they jus add like 1 pound of freon.
they can ONLY charge you for the freon add to your system. NOTHING ELSE.

well jus my 0.02 cents hope it helps someone.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cory Matthews &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">prove with pictures
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Prove what? want pics of my thumb? Give me your email.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air Conditioning cold, but not cold enough! (B20 EJ6)

no no this guy. Hondaciv95VX
Old 06-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After reading the threads posted here, i am sick to my stomach with all the false information. I will correct a few things.

From 1994-present, all a/c is r134a. 1993 and below is all r12.

VISIT MY FORUM FOR MORE INFORMATION AND DETAILED STEPS ON HOW TO CHARGE YOUR A/C SYSTEM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1665946
Old 12-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air Conditioning cold, but not cold enough! (drumminforev)

I had this same problem in my 99 civic si. I had it tested and made sure everything was fine and it was. I would turn it on and it would feel as if it should be colder. Well after a while all I did was hit the recycle air switch and it blew out a lot harder and ALOT colder. That was my problem solved with just hitting that recycled air button while the a/c was on.