Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what does a catch can do ?

Old 05-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does a catch can do ?

hey guys i wanted to know exactly wat a catch can does ?
Old 05-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does a catch can do ? (blade0314)

what it does is that it "catches the can" jk.. I believe its to collect oil thats been recycled then filters it???
Old 05-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does a catch can do ? (raidacaipo)

i actually didnt know myself so i did a search
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1970101&page=3

this was basically the high point of the thread

Quote, originally posted by dfoxengr »
im still not so convinced how a vented valve cover setup is any different than just putting a filter on the little port on the back of the valve cover, other than looks.
youre not getting any forced flow in either case, so how are you expecting anything to happen different between the two, except looking cool at the local meet.

Wow... You obviously know what you're talking about. All of us with these expensive evac setups just do it for fun. Pro drag racers, they just do it for looks at the local meet too.

Listen douche bag, for those of us that have REAL boosted setups and not just a little 6 psi turbo kit have something called Excess Crankcase Pressure. When you have this you get this bad little thing called Blow By (not blow jobs like you're used to giving). Blow by is when oil passes the barriers of the piston rings causing all kinds of problems. Not to mention all the other things that have extra stress on them do to this. The little filter that you mention works for venting stock setups but if those of us with real power just used that little filter we'd have oil spray all over our engine bays and that would be the least of our worries. We have to use the big lines that you see to allow enough air flow for the pressure to vent out of the motor. And in some instances oil travels with this vented pressure which is why we have "catch cans." This gives the oil somewhere to go while the pressure vents to the atomosphere. So before you go accusing people of doing something "for looks" do some research.

-QuarterMileMaster