Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Air Condition = Hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Condition = Hot

My air condition used to blow extremely cold before I installed my turbo setup. After the turbo setup, the air condition temp. is the same with the A/C off. I did install a slim fan as a pusher style during the turbo install. The A/C doesn't get any colder when I drive it.

Today I went to autozone and got a re-charge system(I know I made a big mistake), and I checked the pressure using the check valve included in the kit. Low and behold the pressure was way in the warning zone @ 125psi. My question is, what is wrong? Is it something I can do myself, or does it have to be professionally done?

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Air Condition = Hot (Threads)

get a good set of gauges on there first off... first make sure you comps. is kicking on if it dose then hook the gauges up.. close off the hot and cold side on the gauges now watch the high side it should be up around 150 - 200 psi and your low side should be around 10- 30 psi if that dose not happen then you have water in you system or you have a bad check valve or air in the lines. if i were you i would go buy a new dryer and a a/c vac and pull the system down for 3 hours "idc what people say 30 mins is not enough" then charge the system.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Air Condition = Hot (clutch878)

The compressor is kicking on. My idle "surges" when i turn the A/C on. It fluxes from 900-1300rpms.

Where can i get an dryer and a A/C vac, and for how much?
Old 06-05-2005, 04:00 PM

the surge is from the small d-series takeing a hp loss from the compressor kicking on it just pull the **** out of the motor mine dose it to. you can get the dryer, check vavle, and vac from autozone. the vac is 200 to rent and you will get the money back but the dryer is 45-60 bucks and the check vavle is 3 bucks.

how do i know all of this you ask well thats how i did it. lol
Old 06-06-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Air Condition = Hot (clutch878)

I thought it was surging because of the extremely high pressure.

I rather just get my system discharged and re-charge it myself. But before I do that, I am going to re-check over my lines and see if I can find anything. I am starting to think that when I installed the A/C condenser fan as the "pusher" style, the fan pressed up against the line that runs on the other side of the condenser(high side line I believe). Would a pinching of a line cause readings as I have described above. I am gonna go check out the line sometime soon to see if it did pinch the line or puncture it.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:31 AM

I just went to check the lines out and I think I may have found a problem. The low side line is hitting the turbo vacuum fitting. The vacuum fitting tore the rubber covering of the line and maybe the actual line itself. I tried my best to feel for anything, and it felt fine. The line is not forced on the fitting(basically it has some play to move around). I begin moving the line up and down and I hear pressure being released. I always did hear pressure being released from that area when I would shut the car off, but I always thought it was my vacuum fitting not being connected. After a few minutes of unknown gas being released I re-checked the PSI and its at 100 PSI. Any ideas guys?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

spend the few bucks and take it to a pro. you'll save yourself alot of hassle. its not hard to fix an a/c but it is a headache if you've never done it before.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Air Condition = Hot (delsolB18turbo)

I would take it to a pro, but I am trying to avoid it because they probably will not mess with it because the line that is making the releasing gas sound is right next to the turbo. Everything seems fine except for the low-side line making that noise. So I am almost 100% positive that is the problem. The only thing I don't get is that if the line is leaking, why is my pressure still 100psi?

Either way, I am going to have to dis-charge my system and replace the line so, I am going to take it to a pro and get it discharged. Then once it is discharged, I am going to get a new line, clean the compressor, and re-charge the system. If that doesn't work then I have no choice but to gewt it service by a pro.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:28 PM

Anyone other suggestions/help?
Old 06-07-2005, 05:58 PM

I would replace the line yourself first and see what happens, But b4 you do any of that get a can of dye for the system if it is leaking the dye will come out too and show you exactly where the leak is. But dont breath that stuff in its really not good for you, in the cancer causing way but thats only in california acording to the labels.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Air Condition = Hot (nocturnaldragon)

Well I gotta discharge the system before replacing the line. Something tells me there is no freon in the system because I have had no a/c for about 2 months, but even 12 hours later after discovering the condition of the line, it is still making the escaping gas sound(just not as loud). I can feel now how the line is messed up. I can't feel where the gas is escaping from, but I can feel how the vacuum fitting tore the line up. When I was fooling with it, I tried my best to hold my breath for a long as possible. Hopefully I didn't breathe in any...
Old 06-07-2005, 06:22 PM

The reason you are hearing the hissing is because there is a "nozzle" of sorts on the high side, before the coil that meters how much coolant gets sprayed into the coil, I'd bet the hissing you are hearing is air passing through this, and being released through the leak in the low side. Depending on how big the hole is, it might be enough to keep a small amount of pressure on the low side, and the high side is going to stay pressurized regardless with the condenser pushing everything through. Bring it to a pro and have them check it out, if that turns out to be the problem, just get the line replaced.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Air Condition = Hot (jlacoy82)

Well, with reading your post I would have to first look at the condenser fan. If it is not subcooling the hot gas into a liquid the pressures will go sky high and you will not get any cooling from your system. and you most likely overcharged the system because you thought it was low.

Also since you got your gauge from autozone and you say 125 is in the red then your looking at the low side. If the low side is at 125psi the evap coil is around 100deg which means you have no cooling. and your not leaking if you have that high of a pressure.

Also don't listen to the guy above which says to have the low side at 10-30 psi.. Any lower then 30psi and you risk freezing the coil. you want the low side to be around 35-45psi depending on load.

Your car surges because the high side pressures are so damn high that you will probably burn the compressor soon. could also be slugging it..

So the main thing is check the fan's cfm rating and if it is the same as the stock one. And cover up the lines with that heat wrap **** and your turbo also.

A/C directly relates pressure to temperature. So if your lines are getting hot and your condenser is not getting cooled then the pressures will go high as hell and you get no cooling.

Wrap the turbo and the lines with the heat tape **** then take it to a pro to have the charge corrected and you will have ac.

I based this on you saying you had ac before the turbo and new fan. After you installed it then you have no ac.. so if you left out some information the info I stated could change...

good luck
Old 06-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea make sure your fans are blowing the air through the condensor....i had mine fan in the front pulling instead of pushing.....so yea....

The A/C doesn't get any colder when I DRIVE it.

sounds like the fan hooked up wrong to me
Old 06-07-2005, 08:13 PM

a turbo car with ac huh? u prob live in the desert....lol
Old 06-07-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Air Condition = Hot (konigturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by konigturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, with reading your post I would have to first look at the condenser fan. If it is not subcooling the hot gas into a liquid the pressures will go sky high and you will not get any cooling from your system. and you most likely overcharged the system because you thought it was low.

Also since you got your gauge from autozone and you say 125 is in the red then your looking at the low side. If the low side is at 125psi the evap coil is around 100deg which means you have no cooling. and your not leaking if you have that high of a pressure.

Also don't listen to the guy above which says to have the low side at 10-30 psi.. Any lower then 30psi and you risk freezing the coil. you want the low side to be around 35-45psi depending on load.

Your car surges because the high side pressures are so damn high that you will probably burn the compressor soon. could also be slugging it..

So the main thing is check the fan's cfm rating and if it is the same as the stock one. And cover up the lines with that heat wrap **** and your turbo also.

A/C directly relates pressure to temperature. So if your lines are getting hot and your condenser is not getting cooled then the pressures will go high as hell and you get no cooling.

Wrap the turbo and the lines with the heat tape **** then take it to a pro to have the charge corrected and you will have ac.

I based this on you saying you had ac before the turbo and new fan. After you installed it then you have no ac.. so if you left out some information the info I stated could change...

good luck
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This by far has been the most informative post and I thank you.

I think what I may do is try to get a bigger and more powerful fan, try to heat wrap as much as I can, and get the charge corrected as you stated. Hopefully the compressor is not shot. Am I on the right track?

Also, what could the hissing sound be?

I never re-charged my system because when I went to check it it gave me the warning.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When do you hear the hissing sound? When you turn off the a/c or turn off the car?
If it is at that time then it is just the refrigerant going through the orifice.. There is still a higher pressure in the high side when you turn off the car or ac.. the pressure will equalize when the compressor is off and that is sound you hear..

Now if you do actually have a leak then you might be able to see it.. If your lucky near to the leak if there is one there might be an oil stain.. That is the compressor oil that is also leaking out.. That is if there is a leak..

Or you can go around the hoses and fittings with soapy water looking for bubbles..
Old 06-10-2005, 08:17 AM

Thanks a bunch for your help. You have given me by far the best advice ever.

The hissing sound always comes when the car is shut off. Also, the day I had messed with the lines, the line hisses for almost the whole day(not loud, but audible). The sound got a bit louder depending on how the line was resting on that vacuum fitting. The next day it did not make the sound, except like usually when the car is turned off.

So I think I'll try to wrap as much as I can in exhaust wrap, check out the fan, then get the charge correct as you stated.

I used the same fan on both the radiator and condenser and I have not had a problem with the radiator. Do you know if the stock radiator fan has a lower cfm rating than the stock a/c condenser fan? The fans that I used are autozone fans, and the box said i could us for both radiator and a/c fans. I could maybe, just for the hell of it, get a 14" fan to make sure the cfm rating is sufficent. Like I said before, I can feel the air being pushed through the condenser, so I do not think its the fan installed wrong. What do you recommend?
Old 06-19-2005, 10:31 AM

Just got my heat wrap so I think i'll go ahead and start wrapping the lines and maybe the manifold.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds good man.. tell us how it goes..
Old 06-20-2005, 01:20 PM

Just found out the compressor is dead. It WAS working before but now its not turning on. I am gonna see if its electrical before I start worrying about buying another one.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:13 PM
ICU
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like you and I are having the same problem with our AC system, but the difference is that you put in your turbo and I did a motor swap . Please keep us updated on your situation. In the mean time i think im going to bring my car into an AC shop to find out what is wrong with it. I already know my compressor was burnt out and got it replaced, but it still doesn't work....
Old 06-20-2005, 02:30 PM

your ac compressor dead = no refrigerant.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: (2lua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2lua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your ac compressor dead = no refrigerant.</TD></TR></TABLE>
My pressure was too high and I may have overspun the compressor.

So in all cases if your compressor is dead it ='s no refrigerent?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Threads)

its not no refrigerant if he has pressure.. what went on was he had to high of pressure and the freon was not boiling off in the evaporator and was slugging the compressor with liquid refrigerant.. the valves in the compressor failed if the compressor spins and nothing is going on..

if it does not spin then check the compressor clutch.

Quick Reply: Air Condition = Hot