Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

air bypass valve for a v2 intake?

Old 02-27-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bypass valve for a v2 intake?

has anyone done this to their intake..? im in need of something to block the water from going to the engine. (it just started raining again, after i just finished installing the intake) thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:03 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: air bypass valve for a v2 intake? (EH2 on Steelies)

I thought you can't since its 1 piece? Or is that only RSXs?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:04 PM

Default Re: air bypass valve for a v2 intake? (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought you can't since its 1 piece?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i thought too.. but is there any other way of blocking the water
Old 02-27-2006, 05:42 PM

I have it water wont get into your engine unless you drive your car under a big *** puddle..., i just drive slow and i'm fine like i said dont go over a big DEEP *** puddle and your good
Old 02-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: air bypass valve for a v2 intake? (A-busive)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by A-busive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have it water wont get into your engine unless you drive your car under a big *** puddle..., i just drive slow and i'm fine like i said dont go over a big DEEP *** puddle and your good</TD></TR></TABLE>

gonna have to go against you on that one from experience it doesnt have to be that deep. but think of it this way, $35 for a bypass owns the $1000 you could spend if you suck the water.

and yeah its one piece, just gotta cut a section out of the pipe and add it in. WELL worth the investment, coulda saved myself the money i had to spend on replacin my engine
Old 02-28-2006, 05:23 AM

Default Re: air bypass valve for a v2 intake? (isumase)

thanks for the input guys
Old 02-28-2006, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have one for sale, for cheap. PM me and I will hook you up.

-Andru
Old 02-28-2006, 07:34 AM

i heard airbypass valve jus losses u power . you live in CA it barely rains hard so i would jus lookout when it rains and theres barely any like really deep puddle . but thats jsut me kuz i wouldnt want to lose any power but if your trying to be safe then yea get a bypass its worth it i guess
Old 02-28-2006, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by isumase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
gonna have to go against you on that one from experience it doesnt have to be that deep. but think of it this way, $35 for a bypass owns the $1000 you could spend if you suck the water.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can suck up water if it's not deep and you don't have fender liners (driving the water into the filter) but the bypass valve doesn't prevent that from happening. The only time the bypass works is if the end of the filter is completely submerged, which creates a vacuum in the intake, and opens the bypass valve. So yes, that would have to be a pretty deep puddle.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: air bypass valve for a v2 intake? (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can suck up water if it's not deep and you don't have fender liners (driving the water into the filter) but the bypass valve doesn't prevent that from happening. The only time the bypass works is if the end of the filter is completely submerged, which creates a vacuum in the intake, and opens the bypass valve. So yes, that would have to be a pretty deep puddle. </TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe in your experience but im still gonna have to disagree with you, if you hit a side puddle and it "roostertails" it can submerge it. you might not have had the same problem so i guess im just going from personal experience.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ej8jerk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i heard airbypass valve jus losses u power . you live in CA it barely rains hard so i would jus lookout when it rains and theres barely any like really deep puddle . but thats jsut me kuz i wouldnt want to lose any power but if your trying to be safe then yea get a bypass its worth it i guess</TD></TR></TABLE>

i highly doubt that but to me, 1-2hp loss &gt; blown engine ANY DAY
Old 02-28-2006, 10:29 AM

update..

K&N Drychargers

i found a some what water filter, does anyone know if this works as good as the bypass valve. (not trying to cut my v2 intake at all ) thanks.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How does the bypass valve actually function? It just looks like an open vent in the pipe. Can someone explain it?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:44 AM

Default Re: (dgmorr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dgmorr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How does the bypass valve actually function? It just looks like an open vent in the pipe. Can someone explain it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.sportcompactcarweb....ested/

anyone else heard of using the k&n drycharger filter?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dgmorr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dgmorr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How does the bypass valve actually function? It just looks like an open vent in the pipe. Can someone explain it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's styrofoam around little rubber flapper valves. When the end of the pipe is fully submerged, the pressure drops drastically in the pipe; as water is much denser than air, it takes a much higher vacuum to suck it up through the pipe. When this happens, air is pulled through the little flapper valves, which breaks the vacuum and prevents water from being sucked up.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by isumase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
maybe in your experience but im still gonna have to disagree with you, if you hit a side puddle and it "roostertails" it can submerge it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm really not sure how you can spray enough water, around the whole cone, for long enough time to cause a big enough pressure drop to open the bypass valve.

I know of someone who had the bypass on, so he was running without fenderliners, thinking he was protected. Ran through a big puddle, drove enough water into the filter to lock the motor without fully submerging the pipe and opening the bypass.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH2 on Steelies &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

K&N Drychargers

i found a some what water filter, does anyone know if this works as good as the bypass valve. (not trying to cut my v2 intake at all ) thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Since it seems to keep water out, it's probably more effective in a case like I stated above. I'm not sure how or if it works when the pipe is submerged.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah thanks, that's what I figured.

I guess the setup I have is somewhat similar. I have a short ram intake, but from the centre of the cone, I have a dryer hose running down to the front grille.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH2 on Steelies &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

K&N Drychargers

i found a some what water filter, does anyone know if this works as good as the bypass valve. (not trying to cut my v2 intake at all ) thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats not a bypass, thats just a DRY filter meaning you dont have to oil it to keep out the small particles, the first filter "screen" thats around it(the pantyhose lookin ****) keeps out the smallest particles just as it would if it were oiled, has nothing to do with water.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm really not sure how you can spray enough water, around the whole cone, for long enough time to cause a big enough pressure drop to open the bypass valve.

I know of someone who had the bypass on, so he was running without fenderliners, thinking he was protected. Ran through a big puddle, drove enough water into the filter to lock the motor without fully submerging the pipe and opening the bypass.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i understand youve been here longer and i have respect for that so im not gonna fight with you anymore but all im gonna say is it CAN happen. and if it cant, i guess my motor magically threw a rod through the side of the block from hydrolocking without water in it
Old 02-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by isumase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i understand youve been here longer and i have respect for that so im not gonna fight with you anymore but all im gonna say is it CAN happen. and if it cant, i guess my motor magically threw a rod through the side of the block from hydrolocking without water in it </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think were talking about two seperate things. Yes, you can hydrolock by driving through a puddle and having it splash (which I've said), but that doesn't mean that it's submerged.

What I was saying is that for the bypass to work, the tube has to be submerged, not just having some water driven into it by driving through a puddle. So, you can drive enough water into the filter to lock your motor, without submerging it, in which case the bypass valve wouldn't have prevented hydrolock. If you have fenderliners, this isn't much of a concern.