Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Air Breather? - New member -

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Breather? - New member -

Hey fellas, I'm a new member here and short-time lurker. I own a 1993 Del sol Si, and haven't had it very long yet.

I just installed an AEM short ram intake on the car with no problem, however I had purchased an "air breather" (looks like a miniature air filter; alternatively called valve cover breather I think) to go along with it, and realized today that I have absolutely no idea where it goes or how to get it there.

Now, I did a search around here and did gather a supposed answer of attaching the breather to the end of the small hose that plugs into the intake tubing. However, the topic seemed a bt shaky so I didn't conclude much from it.

Could someone offer me some in-depth help about the loaction of this thing? Also, any information about modifications etc. that would otherwise make me change my mind about hastily installing it would be appreciated (I'd heard one guy say that it was useless).

Thanks a bunch! I hope to get to know all of you more over time!
Old 12-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Air Breather? - New member -

Usually when you get an aftermarket intake it has a nipple on the intake pipe before the throttle body. On the "stock" intake you should have had to pull a little metal hardpipe out of the rubber intake tubing that goes to the throttle body. This in turn goes to a nipple on the back of the Valve cover(Back of VC on tranny side). Usually the aftermarket intake comes with a piece of hose. You take this hose and slide it onto that factory metal hardline and then hook the other end to the nipple on your new intake pipe.

If not you can take that little breather filter and pull the rubber hose off the nipple on the valve cover and put it on right there.

But if it comes with the hose I would hook it up the way described above.

Just a FYI, short ram intakes usually don't do anything but make the engine louder(IE: when on the gas it makes the intake noise alot louder which I personally find annoying). It just sits basically in the same location as the stock filter/intake setup and sucks hot air from the engine bay, doesn't help that the radiator is right in front of it so hot air is constantly blowing back on it.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply. So what you're saying is that I take the little hose that I had plugged into the top of the intake tubing, remove it from the tubing, and slap the air breather on the end of the hose (presumably plugging the hole that is now in the tubing)? Just for clarification.

Thanks for your input on the intake, but I've already done all my research on that - not to mention I've gotten some pretty good results so far. Do you know anything in particular about the air breathers? That would be a bigger help...what are the pros and cons of it, if any?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sealed the nipple on my intake with a rubber cap, then I attached a breather filter to my VC.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jerekson
Thanks for the reply. So what you're saying is that I take the little hose that I had plugged into the top of the intake tubing, remove it from the tubing, and slap the air breather on the end of the hose (presumably plugging the hole that is now in the tubing)? Just for clarification.

Thanks for your input on the intake, but I've already done all my research on that - not to mention I've gotten some pretty good results so far. Do you know anything in particular about the air breathers? That would be a bigger help...what are the pros and cons of it, if any?
take the hose off and put the filter on the valve cover where this hose used to go, then plug the hole on the intake piping
Old 12-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Arthas
I sealed the nipple on my intake with a rubber cap, then I attached a breather filter to my VC.
mine was sealed by using a piece of the line and shoving a bolt in the end. looks ghetto but works
Old 12-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Below is a picture of my old D-Series setup. You can see how I have the blue hose to the Intake. If you use the breather filter you have put it on the nipple I have enclosed in the RED circle.

I don't really know any pros and cons of using them. I always use the hose looped like you see in that picture. Samething on my B-Series.
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, I think I have it figured out now. Matt, that picture was a perfect illustration! Thanks for the help.

Thansk for all the replies, everyone.

I'm still having difficulty finding any substantial evidence for or against breathers...what I've found so far is either very vague or very techincal...no one seems to have a straight up good or bad opinion on them...I'll do some more research.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Iono if its bad or not, I have one on my car. *shrug*