Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

age old fued

Old 08-30-2005, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default age old fued

i have a 93 civic ex with a d16z6 i plan on dragin it alittlt i have about a grand to spend on my motor and dont want to go force induction should i keep the d or use my $ to do a b swap
Old 08-30-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: age old fued (90b20b4)

IMO I would go with the B swap. I can still have a lot of fun with a D series but once u max it out out it's done you 'll have to upgrade if u still want more power. I drag raced a 92-95 coupe it had a d-series in an 1/8 mile (around here 1/4 mile is available unless u wanna drive an hour outta the way) It's just Test and Tune night nothing serious, he had every bolt on he could get for a N/A motor so I mean this was not a riced out car the boy had sense. My setup is a 94 coupe w/ B18B running GSR tranny, stock intake, Greddy Exhaust, and stock internals. The D- series ran a 10.4 and I ran a 10.2. He was just hitting 5th gear when I was coming out of second. He was just about to hit rev limiter when he crossed the line in 5th gear and I was just about to come out of 3rd into 4th ( around 6800 rpm) when I crossed. The boy was kinda mad when done cuz he thought when I said stock I really meant stock, ohwell
Old 08-30-2005, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all motor d's are way too expensive for the power you get. the age old fued is FI D vs NA B (turbo vs swap).
Old 08-30-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: age old fued (mericbe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mericbe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He was just hitting 5th gear when I was coming out of second. He was just about to hit rev limiter when he crossed the line in 5th gear and I was just about to come out of 3rd into 4th ( around 6800 rpm) when I crossed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

riiiiiiight
Old 08-30-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: age old fued (IHateJDM)

Well u were not there. And like I said I was running a GSR tranny and only running an 1/8 not a 1/4. It's all bout the gearing. Believe it or not I ran a 10.4 and my thow out bearing was bad so I could't get into 3rd and only used 1st and 2nd gear and coasted the rest of the way down the track.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mericbe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well u were not there. And like I said I was running a GSR tranny and only running an 1/8 not a 1/4. It's all bout the gearing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

then what kind of final drive do you need for a single cam to redline 5th by the 1/8th mile mark at such a low speed (he only ran a 10.4)? d series trannies are not known for close ratios.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mericbe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The D- series ran a 10.4 and I ran a 10.2. He was just hitting 5th gear when I was coming out of second. He was just about to hit rev limiter when he crossed the line in 5th gear and I was just about to come out of 3rd into 4th ( around 6800 rpm) when I crossed.</TD></TR></TABLE>
WTF?!! The gearing in your B is much much shorter than any d....
Meaning, it would be the exact opposite of what you just said.

I used to cruise the interstate in third gear at like 2500 (in the dirty-d)
Now with my LS (which is even longer than your GSR) im cruising in fifth at like 3000.
punch yourself
Old 08-30-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: age old fued (mwieczorek43)

Well boys we were neck and neck down the lanes. I counted 3 shifts before I was even coming close to 5 grand in 2nd. I counted the 4th around 6400, I shifted to 2nd and right after that he shifted to 5th. I left the line at 1500, cuz any higher and I blow out the tires. I dunno I got the time slips in the cars. And all my friends were there to see it and they can vouch.

What does cruising around 2500 or 3000 have to do with anything? I can cruise too on the interstate at 3000 and i'm running aound 83 mph.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:24 PM

I do understand thew differences between all the trannys. It's just mine seems to wind out forever. 1st is like 45 and then shift to 2nd is like 68 and then shift to 3rd is like 110 and then sfift to fourth is like 125 annd then shift to 5th and I haven't had the ***** to go past 135 yet. but there is like 2.5 grand left at 134 mph

Futher more when a tranny has longer gears it dosen't mean it winds out longer. On a honda with a shorter gear ratio the higer the top speed, longer gear ratio just means it will have more accel and less top speed.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you want power but dont want to boost AND you are only working with a 1K. I guess you plan on getting a B18a/b because you aint getting anything else on 1K.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mericbe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I do understand thew differences between all the trannys. It's just mine seems to wind out forever. 1st is like 45 and then shift to 2nd is like 68 and then shift to 3rd is like 110 and then sfift to fourth is like 125 annd then shift to 5th and I haven't had the ***** to go past 135 yet. but there is like 2.5 grand left at 134 mph

Futher more when a tranny has longer gears it dosen't mean it winds out longer. On a honda with a shorter gear ratio the higer the top speed, longer gear ratio just means it will have more accel and less top speed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My y8 had slightly shorter gearing than that, so I don't know what kind of d-series you were running against. I think my shift points were 38, 58, 90, 120. I really don't think at the end of the 1/8th mile would have had me in fifth

To the thread starter, I would spend the money on the swap if you want bang for the buck.

-Shane
Old 08-30-2005, 06:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mericbe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO I would go with the B swap. I can still have a lot of fun with a D series but once u max it out out it's done you 'll have to upgrade if u still want more power. I drag raced a 92-95 coupe it had a d-series in an 1/8 mile (around here 1/4 mile is available unless u wanna drive an hour outta the way) It's just Test and Tune night nothing serious, he had every bolt on he could get for a N/A motor so I mean this was not a riced out car the boy had sense. My setup is a 94 coupe w/ B18B running GSR tranny, stock intake, Greddy Exhaust, and stock internals. The D- series ran a 10.4 and I ran a 10.2. He was just hitting 5th gear when I was coming out of second. He was just about to hit rev limiter when he crossed the line in 5th gear and I was just about to come out of 3rd into 4th ( around 6800 rpm) when I crossed. The boy was kinda mad when done cuz he thought when I said stock I really meant stock, ohwell</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is hard to understand and you are retarded.

GSR tranny has a shorter gear ratio than a Z6, meaning you would have to shift before him.

If the guy had "everything possible and wasn't retarded" he must have sucked at driving to pull a 10.4 1/8, but after reading your post and your following replies I think you consider "someone that knows their ****" as someone in your area that knows how to wipe their own *** and not lick the toilet paper.

To the TO: You said you are only looking to do a little dragging. If that's the case you may wish to stick with the D series and do some head work like cams and valvetrain. I have a friend w/ basic boltons (CAI/Exhaust/Header*I think*) along with cams and valvetrain pulling 14.9s or so w/ a bad clutch.

If you can put together a B18 swap for less than a grand and install it yourself you have a great platform if you want to do more building. B18Bs are notorious for their low end torque, which make them good for DD.

Again, if you're not looking to spend more than 1k than I would reccomend doing the headwork.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: age old fued (nota-eg)

5th at 70 mph in my car is showing around 3000 rpms, i doubt 3rd in interstate would be that low, unless of course ur doing like, 40 mph
Old 08-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is hard to understand and you are retarded.

GSR tranny has a shorter gear ratio than a Z6, meaning you would have to shift before him.

If the guy had "everything possible and wasn't retarded" he must have sucked at driving to pull a 10.4 1/8, but after reading your post and your following replies I think you consider "someone that knows their ****" as someone in your area that knows how to wipe their own *** and not lick the toilet paper.

To the TO: You said you are only looking to do a little dragging. If that's the case you may wish to stick with the D series and do some head work like cams and valvetrain. I have a friend w/ basic boltons (CAI/Exhaust/Header*I think*) along with cams and valvetrain pulling 14.9s or so w/ a bad clutch.

If you can put together a B18 swap for less than a grand and install it yourself you have a great platform if you want to do more building. B18Bs are notorious for their low end torque, which make them good for DD.

Again, if you're not looking to spend more than 1k than I would reccomend doing the headwork.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Headwork? For a D series on a G budget, I would turbo. Budget and N/A on a D series just dont mix to me. The power to dollar ratio is too big NOT to consider turbo. Turbo can be just as "relaible" as N/A. $1000 for turbo and 13's &gt; $1000 for N/a on a D series on a tight *** budget running HIGH 14's.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: age old fued (specv5150)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by specv5150 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Headwork? For a D series on a G budget, I would turbo. Budget and N/A on a D series just dont mix to me. The power to dollar ratio is too big NOT to consider turbo. Turbo can be just as "relaible" as N/A. $1000 for turbo and 13's &gt; $1000 for N/a on a D series on a tight *** budget running HIGH 14's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with you, but he said he is only looking to do a little dragging. Putting together a turbo setup for about 1k shouldn't be too hard. Just look around for people selling kits.

I actually know someone selling a complete D series kit for $800. PM Exare250
Old 08-31-2005, 01:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90b20b4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 93 civic ex with a d16z6 i plan on dragin it alittlt i have about a grand to spend on my motor and dont want to go force induction should i keep the d or use my $ to do a b swap </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree with you, but he said he is only looking to do a little dragging. Putting together a turbo setup for about 1k shouldn't be too hard. Just look around for people selling kits.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

He also said he didn't want to go FI...
Old 08-31-2005, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mericbe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Futher more when a tranny has longer gears it dosen't mean it winds out longer. On a honda with a shorter gear ratio the higer the top speed, longer gear ratio just means it will have more accel and less top speed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont mean to jump in on this thread again, but I want to figure-out what the hell this guy is talking about. You're incorrect. I can't even begin to proccess what you are saying? Re-read my first post again... think about it for a few hours.... and then get back to us.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mwieczorek43 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dont mean to jump in on this thread again, but I want to figure-out what the hell this guy is talking about. You're incorrect. I can't even begin to proccess what you are saying? Re-read my first post again... think about it for a few hours.... and then get back to us.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he's got it backwards. He was thinking that longer gear ratios mean you run through them faster. Nothing he wrote made sense.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he's got it backwards. He was thinking that longer gear ratios mean you run through them faster. Nothing he wrote made sense.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess thats why im so confused. It was so back asswords it made my eyes burn after reading it. Well hopefully he reads this damn thing and gets staightened out.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:14 PM

Futher more when a tranny has longer gears it dosen't mean it winds out longer. On a honda with a shorter gear ratio the higer the top speed, longer gear ratio just means it will have more accel and less top speed.

This is true, longer gear ratio your a slow *** and shorter is faster. Read this then maybe you'll understand

Further more if you have ever drove a B18B w/GSR tranny you would understand what I'm trying to say. On a stock B18B running GSR tranny u would hit rev limit at 7200 about 3 feet before crossing the line on a 1/4 mile, they way u peeps are talking I should already be in 5th.

Gear ratios are merely a way to trade torque for rpm. With a higher numerical gear ratio, you are putting more rpm at the wheel. With closer gear ratios, you are able to stay at a higher rpm in between shift points. Something like the LS transmissions are suited more towards the broad torque curve/low reving LS engine. It keeps you in the peak torque area in between shifts. The ITR/SI/GSR transmissions keep the rpm's built up in between shifts, to stay in the more peaky powerband.
Having said that, for the track the itr/si tranny is the best hands down. Most high whp turbo engines are operating between 5.5-9k, and having their shift points in between. In combination with a tall slick size (24.5"+), and the high shift point (8.5-9k), you are able to keep the engine operating within the optimum torque curve.

With the LS transmission, between shifts it would possibly drop you out of the optimal powerband and therefore make you slower. Gearing simply put allows you to stay in the powerband of your engine in between shifts.

The myth that you stay in gear longer with the LS transmission makes you faster is purely false. Think about that statement for a second. Acceleration is the measure of velocity over a unit time. Watching the rpms climb on the tach during a 3rd/4th gear pull, they would be climbing slower than with the si/itr tranny. Looking at the definition of acceleration as a measure of velocity over a unit time, the engine would be getting to the same velocity over a slower time lapse. This would yield slower acceleration, and simply put make you slower.

Having said that, the gsr transmission is probably the best balance of a street/strip transmission. The gearing is a little less aggressive as the itr/si transmissions, which will yield a little more traction. For all out acceleration si/itr tranny wins hands down. For a slower car, go with the LS transmission.

Old 08-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the lesson Mr.Professor
I've driven and built more cars in a year than you will in your life. So dont come to me w/ this "i wouldn't understand" bull-ish. Save it Jr. Im guessing the three hours it took you to respond you were out researching tranny posts.... right? At least give the people credit that wrote that stuff.

You're the dip-**** that said you were in 3rd shifting into 4th.... while the single slammer was already topping-out in fifth at the finish. The sohc transission is much longer than your gsr...meaning you should have been in a higher gear than he was at the finish line....? Especially at a 1/8 mile track.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mericbe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">longer gear ratio your a slow *** and shorter is faster. Read this then maybe you'll understand</TD></TR></TABLE>
Take a clue from yourself.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:47 PM

Well no u dont understand anything I'm refering to. And I highly doubt u have built more and drove more than me in a year.

I have already spoke w/ other People running the same setup here on Honda Tech, and they were having the same issues I'm taking about.

If u read the whole post U would have seen that I left the line at 1500 rpm and not spinning through the gears. I just let the tranny pull the car, not let the motor push the tranny.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:51 PM

A short gear ratio tranny will give you more acceleration but less top end, long gears give you less acceleration, but a higher top end.

If you have a GSR tranny on a B18B and you are in 5th gear at the 7200rpm redline you are going (I don't know exact speeds, but I'm just saying) you would top out at say 135, with an LS transmission at the same rpm you would be 150 or so.

In lay-men's terms the short tranny takes more revolutions from the motor to turn the wheel 1 turn, sacrificing top end for acceleration; where a long tranny uses less revolutions of the motor to get the wheel 1 full turn, sacrificing acceleration for top end.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He also said he didn't want to go FI...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're right. I just don't know if a B18B swap would be possible unless you could do it yourself. It was another alternative that someone else had come up with.

Again, my opinion would be to do some headwork to the D since he is only considering going to the track every once in awhile. Then again, since this is a DD I would do a B18B swap if I could do it for under $1000 just for the low-end torque.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A short gear ratio tranny will give you more acceleration but less top end, long gears give you less acceleration, but a higher top end.

If you have a GSR tranny on a B18B and you are in 5th gear at the 7200rpm redline you are going (I don't know exact speeds, but I'm just saying) you would top out at say 135, with an LS transmission at the same rpm you would be 150 or so.

In lay-men's terms the short tranny takes more revolutions from the motor to turn the wheel 1 turn, sacrificing top end for acceleration; where a long tranny uses less revolutions of the motor to get the wheel 1 full turn, sacrificing acceleration for top end.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I may not know what I'm talking bout to a certain degree, but this is totally false

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: age old fued