Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Aftermarket throttle body on stock engine, whats your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket throttle body on stock engine, whats your opinion?

Ive heard a lot of people say putting an aftermarket TB on a stock motor is pointless, what do you guys think? (all opinions accepted, just trying to gain knowledge)
Old 04-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket throttle body on stock engine, whats your opinion?

I see it as almost pointless without supporting mods, maybe if you port matched the TB to a nice Intake that was port matched to the head, with a hytech header, with a little tuning im sure you could net a few HP across the powerband. But as a standalone mod there are better things that 300 dollars could be spent towards.

This is all IMO, maybe others will see it different, I would only do it if I found a really good deal you couldnt pass up, but nothing new.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ehrkeith
I see it as almost pointless without supporting mods, maybe if you port matched the TB to a nice Intake that was port matched to the head, with a hytech header, with a little tuning im sure you could net a few HP across the powerband. But as a standalone mod there are better things that 300 dollars could be spent towards.

This is all IMO, maybe others will see it different, I would only do it if I found a really good deal you couldnt pass up, but nothing new.
I personally would never invest in one without atleast having a full aftermarket exhaust, intake and header. But besides having those modifications, everything else stock, how useful or useless would it be? im only 18, hence i posted just trying to gain some knowledge lol.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Pointless.

Are we talking about a D series?
Old 04-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes a D-series. i personally am not looking to purchase one myself. im just trying to obtain some more smarts on engines and when an aftermarket TB would even be necessary because to be honest, im pretty ignorant on engine stuff. this is the first time anyones really responded to any engine ?'s ive asked, thank you for the feedback. What are some basic ways to get a little more power out of my D-series? Please excuse my lack of knowledge lol.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Master Detailer

Turbo... Really, the d series engine doesn't respond well to bolt-on's. They end up more as a expensive noise maker.
Don't even get me started on a N/A build.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i plan on doing minimal changes to the engine, and running it til i can either straight up afford an engine swap, or til it blows and then do an engine swap. just wondering what i can do in the meantime to make it a little more fun to drive. the first thing ive bought which was well worth the money was coilovers. i live in KY so i have a lot of winding back roads that are fun to drive
Old 04-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Master Detailer

Suspension is the place where I'd start...
Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you plan on hiding your map sensor then go for it, cause some tbs put thr map sensor on the bottom otherwise woth a stock intske manifold its dumb
Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a t/b on a stock d series motor is pointless without a port matched intake manifold inlet. overall u will gain nothing. u will probably lose some low end power.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Suspension is the place where I'd start...
for sure! i know im not gonna get the car much quicker/faster without a turbo kit. so i made it fun at the speed it goes.. Skunk2 Pro-S II coilovers!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To be honest to get more power the cheapest and easiest way is a motor swap, you can click in my sig I did my B series swap for about 1200 dollars including the price of the car.

but if you think a motor swap is to hard (it isn't), i would get a nice coilover system, replace all the suspension components, and get new wheels and tires. You'd be surprised how much of a difference it will make in the feel of the drive. Especially if you get energy suspension bushings. Don't get caught up in I/H/E it makes no difference really only thing I would do is put an apexi muffler on it or something and thats about it. People for some reason think the car is slower if it doesnt have the cool "ram air intake" or the nice shiny header. ****, I kept my stock airbox from the Y8 I had and used it on my b18, I hate stupid cold air intakes.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you were to port your head, get different plenum/plenum spacer etc etc

basically no supporting mods + big throttle body = pointless

it's like inhaling with your mouth wide open and slightly closed, still the same amount of air intake but different flow so you would need to modify all other parts to have reason to do so
Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ehrkeith
To be honest to get more power the cheapest and easiest way is a motor swap, you can click in my sig I did my B series swap for about 1200 dollars including the price of the car.

but if you think a motor swap is to hard (it isn't), i would get a nice coilover system, replace all the suspension components, and get new wheels and tires. You'd be surprised how much of a difference it will make in the feel of the drive. Especially if you get energy suspension bushings. Don't get caught up in I/H/E it makes no difference really only thing I would do is put an apexi muffler on it or something and thats about it. People for some reason think the car is slower if it doesnt have the cool "ram air intake" or the nice shiny header. ****, I kept my stock airbox from the Y8 I had and used it on my b18, I hate stupid cold air intakes.
I already read through yout thread actually ha. loved it! and yes suspension will def be the first things to do to a car with a d series engine being that they dont have much power.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I mean power is all relative if you can't get it to the ground. You could run circles around my car on the track with a proper suspension, nice tires, and some skill.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

D-series wouldn't can anything except noise and some throttle response.

Now, if you have an H23, different story

My 70mm TB is a beast.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Libertariat

My 70mm TB is a beast.
Just keep on rubbing the H2B in our faces
Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

idk if you read what i posted a few back, but i have coilovers already. Skunk2 Pro-S II. they are my babies lol. i cant wait to do an engine swap. and hopefully by then ill be experienced enough for me and my bro to do it together.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My 70mm TB is a beast.
right there is what i was looking for this whole time. THROTTLE RESPONSE. i just dont like how unresponsive it seems that my throttle is. what can i do to change this/fix this? bc im used to driving a maxima with a VQ35.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cliffs: The D-series isn't worth modifying unless you're turbo charging it. Even then, stock engine and a turbo is all you need. And some head studs.

Boost is the cheapest way to go fast. Even still, you're looking at $4,000+ after parts, tuning, time, etc to get it running properly.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Boost is the cheapest way to go fast. Even still, you're looking at $4,000+ after parts, tuning, time, etc to get it running properly.

Not with my negotiating skills :p

But really you should get rid of that D series and swap, turbo in my opinion is much harder and wayyy more expensive than a swap. I do know dedicated single cam all motor guys but they just drop so much money for so little power, if you've got nothing better to do though you could try your hand at porting and polishing and port matching like I said. Just get a bare junk head and intake mani for cheap off CL, get a dremel and go to work. If you get good you can do it to your existing parts and maybe gain some horsepower and a lot of knowledge. I have a good link to a head porting tutorial that can help. Plus when you start getting swap parts you can port and polish it before you put it on.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Master Detailer

Skunk2 coilovers were a bad choice.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMnStance
yes a D-series. i personally am not looking to purchase one myself. im just trying to obtain some more smarts on engines and when an aftermarket TB would even be necessary because to be honest, im pretty ignorant on engine stuff. this is the first time anyones really responded to any engine ?'s ive asked, thank you for the feedback. What are some basic ways to get a little more power out of my D-series? Please excuse my lack of knowledge lol.
For a D-series, you don't. As everyone pretty much said. And i had experienced. You will WASTE money, and get like +3hp from some major tuning. For the D-series, just a turbo. But you'll end doing some major modifications, not anything "basic".

What you could do is buy an ITB ( Individual Throttle Body ), you'll get like 15-20hps and diminish that MPG fast.
Although, youre on uncle sam's paradise. The way i see it, on the U.S. you have a WIDE, and i mean WIDE gamma of places where you can spend the value of this ITB for better stuff. Like a SWAP.
In my country a b18c5 costs almost USD$9.000,00. So don't worry, you're good-to-go where you at.

You can always get your engine out of that car of yours and start kicking it. Its a basic way to get your LEGS more powerful.....

Cliffs: The D-series isn't worth modifying unless you're turbo charging it. Even then, stock engine and a turbo is all you need. And some head studs.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Skunk2 coilovers were a bad choice.
what do you think wouldve been a better choice? :/ im still under my warranty to send them back.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by JDMnStance
what do you think wouldve been a better choice? :/ im still under my warranty to send them back.
Koni/gc, progress. Gc and illumnia.

Skunk2 suspension just simply sucks...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket throttle body on stock engine, whats your opinion?