Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

AfterMarket Stereo - Failing

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AfterMarket Stereo - Failing

Okay, I purchased a Dual Electronics Head Unit, instead of doing a more logical thing and buying an Adapter Harness. I cut them all. I looked up on several Forums the wiring colors, along with looking at the wires behind said Speakers. Hooked all of it up (Along with the Remote Wire to my AMP) and it all worker EXCEPT for the Drivers Door Speaker.

Thinking that I unknowingly blown the speaker, I bought a couple 6 1/2" Speakers and hooked them up. Nope. Still out. So I went and got a Pioneer Head Unit (Should have done that in the first place) still not working. (I checked the wires 500 times.) (There is a White/Black wire that is not listed in any Forums.)

So I just pinned it on a faulty wire. So I planned on using some spare Speaker wire and rewire it, as I took the wires out of the ButtConnector, I turned the car on to quickly check the Speakers, (The wire I took out was wired to the Speaker on the Drivers Door. Colors matched. Well it cut my Passenger door out.) Even though those Colors were still attached to the Head Unit. So I'm at a complete loss and can't get to the Drivers Door Speaker wires behind the dash because it's wire up nice and tight and out of reach.

Help me out guys. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AfterMarket Stereo - Failing

Rewire the door speaker with new wire run it to the deck?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I tried, I lost my Passenger Door Speaker when I unplugged the Drivers Door. Which is why I'm so lost.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just start from the basic test wires on the back of the head with new wire when you figure out the wiring just simply run all new wires no if that doesnt work then possibly a bunk headunit
Old 05-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol sorry didnt see the part where you bought another unit wow now im stumped...
Old 05-09-2013, 02:53 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Urg. With speakers sitting on the floor, wire both up to the back of the deck DIRECTLY. Since you hacked up the harness that should be easy. Do they both work?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes. Both Speakers work. So it is just that wire. I'm still confused on why disconnecting a speaker, affected a totally different speaker.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:20 PM
The Grumpiest

Not to second guess but I would think your wiring has something to do with it. In the 15+ years I've used adapter harnesses I've never had any issues. If I were you I'd wire back up the stock harness and get one.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ what he said. You can buy a metra harness for a few dollars on amazon FYI
Old 05-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never understood peoples obsession with cutting the factory harness out of a car.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I can tell you why I cut mine they didn't have an adapter when I bought the radio and I wasn't driven it without a radio
I never had a problem as long as I made sure the connections were good and not electrical taped
Old 05-09-2013, 05:47 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by 98ekb18c
I've never understood peoples obsession with cutting the factory harness out of a car.
With all due respect I'd chalk it up to laziness or being impatient. No excuse to butcher a car's wiring no matter how clean it's done. Not when there's other options out there.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I was impatient. But my wiring is correct. I think it got damaged. Which I might have done.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What year car and model ex, hx?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You wiring is incorrect. I was a 12volt installer for many years and im still mecp certified. You either have your wires crossed from one speaker to the next or your car is possibly factory amplified and you are shorting out the fact amp. Tell us what kind of car it is and yes you should have purhased a harness and done it the right way. Check out the12volt.com they have wiring information for most cars and they tell yu what they are. You could also get a 9volt battery and touch the wites you think are the speaker wires to the positive and neg terminals on the 9volt battery. Its called pop testing and if you have the correct wires each speaker will pop letting you know which wires go to each speakers.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by azzazel_9
You wiring is incorrect. I was a 12volt installer for many years and im still mecp certified. You either have your wires crossed from one speaker to the next or your car is possibly factory amplified and you are shorting out the fact amp. Tell us what kind of car it is and yes you should have purhased a harness and done it the right way. Check out the12volt.com they have wiring information for most cars and they tell yu what they are. You could also get a 9volt battery and touch the wites you think are the speaker wires to the positive and neg terminals on the 9volt battery. Its called pop testing and if you have the correct wires each speaker will pop letting you know which wires go to each speakers.
What he said ^
Old 05-11-2013, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your wiring might be cut somewhere leading to that speaker, do an ohm test on the wires to see if you have any resistance
Old 05-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My wiring is correct according to www.the12volt.com and modifiedlife.com I was left with a Solid Red and a Red with Black Stripe Wire, these weren't listed so I assume Illumination/Dimmer, these had a Butt Connector attached seperately and taped off. My wiring is also correct from me
Physically looking at the colors. (Sides might be wrong as the booklet on my HeadUnit differ between my car. Left Being Right, etc.)

Currently have the entire harness cut and removed as
far back as possible, rear Speakers are rewired and zip tied every 4 inches with my Front/Rear RCA cables running to my AMP, along with my Remote Turn On. I'm taking the doors off and rewiring those today.

Car: 1999 Honda Civic VP (Value Package)