Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Aftermarket Radiator Support

Old 02-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Aftermarket Radiator Support

Does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket rad. support on their EG, or any civic for that matter? Im looking into replacing mine in the spring and just wanted some opinions...and yes, I searched plenty...theres not too much info about the quality of an aftermarket piece. I know that to ensure a 100% perfect fitment, OEM is the way to go...but ive also seen plenty of cars with aftermarket supports that are pretty damn close, and can be had for about 1/3 of the price. So, If youve ever replaced your rad. support with something other than an OEM part, or you know someone who has, post up your opinion of the quality and fitment. Some recommendations on stores/brands would be useful as well
Old 02-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Aftermarket Radiator Support (93allmotorcoupe)

they fit but its not as strong as oem. best way is buy a oem radiator support from a junkyard and weld it on yours
Old 02-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Radiator Support (fmrprojects)

Junkyards in my area dont typically have a lot of Honda's. And most that do already have some kind of front end damag. And, that would mean having to drill out 2 radiator supports instead of just 1.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an aftermarket rad. support. its ok.. its softer so its not a good idea to jack up the car from it.also the points u stick the radiator on tend to bend up a bit if your car is slammed.. i got mine new for 50 bucks so i didnt care much. a used oem runs around 100-150 around here and as said you have to drill it out. it fits fine just make sure to get it welded on
Old 02-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Radiator Support (john666)

Thanks for the reply, it will def. be tacked back in either way when its finished.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The fitment on mine was a little off but that's because it moved while I was sticking it on and didn't notice. After a bit of shifting things like the headlights you have to look for it to tell the fitment is a tad off.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:39 PM

DON'T DO IT!!!

I have one on my 00 Coupe. Installed it after a front-end accident, and I am not happy w/ it at all. It's very soft like someone above mentioned, and it does not hold up to being used as a jack point. It's very annoying to have to jack up the car from each side when I just need the front lifted up while workig on the car. I'm sure it is detrimental to the rigidity of the front end of the car as well.

OEM is the only answer. I plan to switch to the OEM rad support sometime. It's just too much of a bitch to do!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Radiator Support (SIISFLY)

Anyone else?
Old 03-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIISFLY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DON'T DO IT!!!

I have one on my 00 Coupe. Installed it after a front-end accident, and I am not happy w/ it at all. It's very soft like someone above mentioned, and it does not hold up to being used as a jack point. It's very annoying to have to jack up the car from each side when I just need the front lifted up while workig on the car. I'm sure it is detrimental to the rigidity of the front end of the car as well.

OEM is the only answer. I plan to switch to the OEM rad support sometime. It's just too much of a bitch to do!</TD></TR></TABLE>

WOW.. SAME STORY HERE.. 00 Sedan.. i did a whole aftermarket front end after accident.. and boy did i have to replace everything.. aftermarket Bumper support = too weak = smooshed in easily = bumper cracked + headlight cracked.. had to replace those with OEM..

When i was putting on the aftermarket rad support.. boy did it not fit well.. it was super SOFT.. and about 30lbs lighter than the OEM.. (same with the bumper support) well since it was SOFT and it did not fit well..it did pound and bend well to fit.. i want to change it out too.. its bad rigid for the front... definately... but its too much of a damn work to switch it out.. damn oh well.. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.. i learned my lesson .. go OEM! junk or new oem! you save now for aftermarket.. but you may have to pay more anyways..! :D.. OEM OEM i wished i should of came here and asked b4 I did mine.. good thing you did.. and know you're going to go OEM.. lol
Old 03-01-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Aftermarket Radiator Support (supadupat)

I bought a civic that was wrecked in the front, im still rebuilding it. whenever you do buy one avoid having it shipped, mine got bent slightly in like 3 spots, so i had to bend it back to weld it on, then the radiator didnt set in right, and the A/C condensor wouldn't fit either, then my retarted self started trying to bend stuff, broke and a/c hose, Doh! $110 dollars more that cost me. then when i thought i was done one of my headlights was pointing on the ground 2 ft infront of the car, the other was pointing up at like 20 degrees, what a nightmare, all cuz the support was slightly bent...damn ups...
Old 03-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Radiator Support (choppedndropped)

Wow, glad I asked everyone. Looks like Ill be saving up for a new OEM one, or maybe get lucky and find a used one.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:40 AM

good luck finding a nice used one, they are tought to get off in one piece cuz all the tack welds
Old 03-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIISFLY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DON'T DO IT!!!

It's very soft like someone above mentioned, and it does not hold up to being used as a jack point. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats funny it not a jack point in the first place.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about those aftermarket rad supports that are CAPA "certified" or something?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MildWater)

Yea, some of them have certain certifications...but im not sure if thats just an advertising gimmick. And Ive never jacked up my car from the rad. support, only from the jack supports or some other solid point in the suspension.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:50 PM

i have a 98 civic and jus changed my rad earlier. i bought the
radiator on ebay for $50. but doesnt fit on perfect so welding has
to be done but im not worried at all it shouldnt be a problem.
but oem is the way to go if you want to get a perfect fit. which
costs more tho. good luck.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Radiator Support (kreative)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kreative &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 98 civic and jus changed my rad earlier. i bought the
radiator on ebay for $50. but doesnt fit on perfect so welding has
to be done but im not worried at all it shouldnt be a problem.
but oem is the way to go if you want to get a perfect fit. which
costs more tho. good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Huh? Im talking about radiator supports, not that actual radiator. And if youre talking about a support, where did you find one for $50?
Old 03-02-2007, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya they do sell rad supports on ebay for about 50 bucks.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (MildWater)

I've seen tons of sorry *** rad supports installed at the body shop next door to where I used to work.

On Hondas (5th and 6th gens) you can bolt up an aftermarket rad support, weld it in, and everything's peachy, it matches up, you can't tell the difference, etc.

On VW's or Benz's it's different, you try that **** and your bumper doesn't line up 'n ****.

Though I've never seen an aftermarket crap rad support NOT fit a Civic virtually perfect...

He buys a lot of body crap from a company called POY in NJ. POY sells POS "OEM" parts (made like **** for ridiculously low prices). All their rad supports are fine on Hondas but don't line up well on better end cars.

You shouldn't have a problem - but again I've never had experience with e-bay rad supports. Probably the same ****.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:42 AM

i agree with Mr .Johnson.... you shouldn't be jacking any car up on your radiator support. I do collision work for a living for 8 years now and using aftermarket supports is fine as long as you can weld and make sure that they penetrate. Capa certified means that it is excepted as a oem fit product and insurance companies allow body shops to use them. Some aftermarket parts do fit like garbage, but if u pre fit your stuff and if u don't like it send it back things are guaranteed to fit. Alot of aftermarket companies take used crack bumpers and credit body shops and repair them then resale them as re-man bumpers for a cheaper price. That is probably why your bumper cracked again. basically i would put my kids in a car with a aftermarket support as long as it is installed correctly.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:51 AM

Default Re: (YellowB16a2)

If The company Advertises that the part is CAPA certified it means it is basically exact OEM quality made by a seperate corporation if it says CAPA its not honda OM but Almost exactly the same in all aspects. I bought one From a place called Rockauto.com for 45.00 plus shipping shipped quickly put it in and i can use it as a jackstand and use it for pulling cars out of snow banks without causeing any damage to it try them verylow prices but second to best on their CAPA parts

for all those who dont know CAPA parts are made from the original and exact replica molds from the honda factories also usuing the same prcedures in fabricating the parts CAPA certified is just fine and these are the parts required by insurance companies to use as replacement because they are cheaper than honda original and bear the same seal
Old 03-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jhonny Ricer)

Thanks for all the replies, Id love to hear more opinions before I make up my mind. So basically if I dont go with OEM, I should at least look for one thats CAPA certified. I looked up one at rockauto.com and it was $90, not $45...id love to know where you guys are getting these so cheap? Any links for an EG rad. support?
Old 03-02-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: (93allmotorcoupe)

lol forgot to mention i got mine on a sale sorry
still 90 dollars is cheap anough to be saving 300 off an oem part
Old 03-02-2007, 04:19 PM

I had to install an aftermarket support on my Eg hatch, The part was $65 and you get what you pay for. Very light weight and cheap, but does the job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radiator Support