Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Aftermarket mounts -vs- stock mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket mounts -vs- stock mounts

gonna do some reading on this just wanted to get a few peoples views.

whats the big deal with after market mounts vs. the standard ones. i going to replace mine here soon and dont know which route to head. the aftermarket are expensive and wanted to know if there worth the 400 some bucks
Old 08-09-2011, 05:14 PM
20% cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Aftermarket mounts -vs- stock mounts

They last longer and can take more of a beating. I don't think it is really necessary unless you have a built up motor.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

idk about lasting longer. not many people have 15+ year old track cars. and OEM is proven numerous times over to last that long.

it'll be stiffer, more vibration but it'll hold the engine in place better so to speak.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the only people i can think of who would buy expensive motor mounts, are people who brag about every little piece on their car. like, "yeah these are jdm motor mounts, they cost me 1200 bucks a piece. got em flown in straight from tokyo overnight." i mean really dude? and as far as outlasting oem mounts, i highly doubt it. thats my 2 cents anyway. big woop, wanna fight about it? lol.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The way I always went was oem mount with some window weld in them.. Always felt I could use that 200+ on something else other than aftermarket mounts. My .02s
Old 08-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A high HP car will tear OEM mounts apart.

Hell, my buddy's b16 in his 97 EX went threw those stupid liguid fuild mounts like noithing.

Aftermarket mounts will not let the engine rock back and forth, or limit the movment. (they DO both) OEM mounts don't do a hole lot, as they were meant for comfort.

Window welding your mounts is half *** and a hack. Do it right the first time, or leave the car the alone.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Filled oem mounts FTW... screw paying for them.... Hack screw that its being cost efficent I made 600 and it held together better then some aftermarket mounts I had.... Aftermarket mounts are just a waste of money
Old 08-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hardrace has OEM replacement mounts with hardened rubber for less than the cost of replacing all the mounts with OEM. I just installed a set and vibrations did increase but I raised the idle up and it's livable.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
Filled oem mounts FTW... screw paying for them.... Hack screw that its being cost efficent I made 600 and it held together better then some aftermarket mounts I had.... Aftermarket mounts are just a waste of money
Stop buying cheap parts.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i also got a question, i bought my car 4 months ago and the car came with 2 aftermarket motor mounts. my car is loud as hell but i cant tell if they are comming from the motor mounts or my catalytic converter or something else. the guy who i bought the car from said the car is loud because of the motor mounts but im starting to think its something else.

so do aftermarket motor mounts cause alot of noise also like exhaust sounds or do u guys think its something else?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had Hasport mounts on my dd for a few years. Clutch engagement was rock solid compared to the rubbery stock mounts. Vibration was AWFUL, I ended up putting the stock mounts back in. I did run a rear Hasport mount and the stock left and right mounts for a while, that was ok IMO.

I prefer to use all stock mounts now for dd.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:47 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ray559527
i also got a question, i bought my car 4 months ago and the car came with 2 aftermarket motor mounts. my car is loud as hell but i cant tell if they are comming from the motor mounts or my catalytic converter or something else. the guy who i bought the car from said the car is loud because of the motor mounts but im starting to think its something else.

so do aftermarket motor mounts cause alot of noise also like exhaust sounds or do u guys think its something else?

The Hasports mounts I had were loud as hell, vibration was crazy.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heres wat i think.. if your car is stock its all cool..lil upgrades like intake, exhuast, headers, intake manifolds, and lil basic up grades are ok with oem mounts. but if u got an aftermarket clutch, cams, pistons, fly wheels, bored out head and etc. i recomend u get aftermarket mounts. my si came with stock oem mounts, i swaped it out with a motor, aftermarket cam gears, headers, intake, intake manifold, light weight pully, aftermarket exhaust, competion racing clutch stage 1 and it tore up my mounts like nothingggggggggg. thats from my experience.. now i got new mounts hasport all drag mounts, cause i swaped out my clutch for a better one.. lets say... it skirts 4 gear if i really push it.. 6 put stage 3 full race competition... if your looking for further upgrading to ur ride then i say you can go aftermarket mounts.. theres also the thing i called insert mounts that you can do to make ur oem last almost as long and good as the aftermarket mounts. they are called inserts. bascially u insert them into your stock oem mounts and zip tie them on there. they hold good and no vibrations to the chasis but they dont last as long from wat i heard. ... ( remember) this is from my experience with aftermarket mounts and oem mounts. so take my advice or not its up to u.. i recommenc if ur gonna go with a new aftermarket mount get inserts or hasports or etc.. inserts basically just makes the sock mounts hold stronger.. u can go stock mounts then when u have money get inserts. inserts make it into a full aftermarket mount after u install but its just zip tie to the oem mounts.... theres my two cents from experience..
Old 08-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by mcvtec

What inserts were they?

My buddy had innovative's with 62a? bushings. You could deffinetly feel the viberations coming from the mounts, but I wouldn't say it was crazy.

Then again, everyone's different.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Raise the idle and your vibrations will lessen. I also put some sound deadening under the hood and in the doors to calm it down. Next, I will put some behind the dash and that should take care of the rattles.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=caeavesRSX-S;45819254]Raise the idle and your vibrations will lessen.

wtf? explain yourself because you are partially misleading with your statement

Originally Posted by mcvtec

LOL NO WAY?!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by owneyboy

wtf? explain yourself because you are partially misleading with your statement
Raising the idle just a little significantly reduces vibrations. Similar to you pushing the gas pedal a little bit and holding it at 1000 rpm. Less vibrations. I raised my civic to idle around 8-900 rpm and the shaking steering wheel of death went away.

Much easier to do on my RSX as idle can be adjusted with K Pro but the Civic wasn't too bad. Unplug the map and iac controllers, turn the idle set screw to the right, remove the ecu back up fuse, and then plug it all back up and start it. It took two adjustments to get it high enough to reduce the vibrations and not be sitting at 1000 rpm.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know what your saying it also it could even make vibrations worse. the way you worded it just sounded funky to me it doesn't really lessen vibrations is what i wanted to point out. debatable your right and wrong with what you said
Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

stiffer mounts will help allow you to put more power to the ground and wheels. there are many more advantages to having stiffer mounts then stock. if you don't like vibrations get s soft compound street rated mount or get OEM or hard race mounts. i have the aftermarket ebay steel mounts with energy suspension inserts and they were a great cheap replacement the only thing i disliked was the paint on them chipped easily i repainted them and hopefully it bonds better then the paint they used with no primer which i don't see why not.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I filled my mounts with Window Weld and along with my new shifter bushings, change ball cuff, etc, shifting is awesome. I don't have excess vibration or rattling or anything.

The people who get rattling need to find out what is rattling. The stiffer motor mounts don't cause the rattling, just make it more noticeable.