Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Aftermarket Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Keyless Entry

So I've been looking for a few days and I can't find any threads on honda-tech or any other forums with the info I'm looking for.
I want a reasonably priced aftermarket Entry/Alarm/possibly remote start. I don't want to spend more than about $75 on the system itself. I would like to know if anybody knows some to look more in depth at or just stay away from. I have a 98 Civic LX, and the dealer said it did not come w/ factory keyless, and I have swapped my head unit , so I don't know if that would affect anything. Other than the system itself, what other things might I need, such if I did go with remote start? Any bypasses or harnesses or anything of the like? Also is it hard to do if I just devote a Saturday to it, or should I just pay a pro to get it installed?

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry if I didn't put it in the right place!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Aftermarket Keyless Entry

You aren't going to get an alarm worth mentioning for $75.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What am I gonna have to spend? I love my civic, but I juet want something cheap and simple. I'm saving up for a newer civic or accord and want to save as much as possible.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 01-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For a decent(cheap) alarm your looking at anywhere from $250-300
Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^This...

Check out Magnadyne.com

Not many people mention their products. They resemble viper and Clifford alarms (which are pretty much one and the same anyways), but they work well, and their tech support is pretty darn amazing. I use the Carbine Plus 5900
Old 01-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostmunky
For a decent(cheap) alarm your looking at anywhere from $250-300
Cheap is $300? Guy I wanna know where you buy your stuff? I'll sell you some premium speakers for.... $500! Cheap!

Viper alarms can be had for as low as $80 up to $300, generally I'd go midrange at about $150-200.

I forget which ECU upgrade allows you to use certain inputs like a password for anti-theft. That plus a cheap alarm just to sense breaking in, and your car isn't going anywhere.

Doesn't really help with someone stripping your car. Then again nothing helps. Except "The Penetrator" (Saints Row 3 anyone?).
Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SaberLily
Cheap is $300? Guy I wanna know where you buy your stuff? I'll sell you some premium speakers for.... $500! Cheap!

Viper alarms can be had for as low as $80 up to $300, generally I'd go midrange at about $150-200.

I forget which ECU upgrade allows you to use certain inputs like a password for anti-theft. That plus a cheap alarm just to sense breaking in, and your car isn't going anywhere.

Doesn't really help with someone stripping your car. Then again nothing helps. Except "The Penetrator" (Saints Row 3 anyone?).
You are more on my page. I can't just drop $300, well I can but that's ridiculous. My car is pretty much stock except for a newer head unit-which I only spent like $120 on...so I'm not too worried about anything getting stolen. My car isn't flashy, hell still the original (what's left of it) paint. $150 is pretty much my limit on a system. The alarm isn't what I'm wanting-it's the keyless entry/locking.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B20DelSol
^^^This...

Check out Magnadyne.com

Not many people mention their products. They resemble viper and Clifford alarms (which are pretty much one and the same anyways), but they work well, and their tech support is pretty darn amazing. I use the Carbine Plus 5900
Actually $180 for that isn't bad. I'll have to do some more looking on their website. Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SaberLily

Alarm systems shouldn't be skimped on, so yes, in the world of alarms, $300 is cheap. It's definitely a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing a stolen car, too.

The "ECU upgrade" you're talking about is the SecuTimer. It's actually a turbo timer, but it also has a function that requires a PIN to start the car.

There are plenty of things that help against someone stripping your car. A properly mounted hood sensor, or a tilt sensor, are two easy examples.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Trial User

as far as remote start and entry Pep Boys carries cheap systems for 45(remote entry) and 75(remote start). Now I'm not going to testify as to their quality as I have not purchased, used, or known anybody to use them but if cheap is what you want then cheap is what your gonna get.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

$75 for an alarm and installed? No way.

"decent" is in the $200 range, but don't forget about install unless you plan to install it yourself. That on average will run $100 for a "basic" install.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
$75 for an alarm and installed? No way.

"decent" is in the $200 range, but don't forget about install unless you plan to install it yourself. That on average will run $100 for a "basic" install.
No, not installed. Just the system itself.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:50 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ebay then. Seeing as how your car is only worth $75 to you.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Master Detailer

Ebay, something from DEI.

Here's an idea, if you can bump the budget to $100. But don't skimp on the install.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Vi...item231f76754c
Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Ebay then. Seeing as how your car is only worth $75 to you.
Did your car come with remote entry? Or did you buy it at and/or have it installed somewhere in town? I'm in Chattanooga so I would definitely drive up there to get it installed if the place you did it is just amazing, because I haven't really heard any reviews from local alarm installs, only tint.

Also, because of all of the goading and making me aware of spending **** gets **** in return, I'm probably going to bump up my budget to $200-250. Something that will get me a hood pin, but not a manual code to start the car.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Master Detailer

Adding keyless is a piece of cake, and is pretty cheap if you already have an alarm.

Take a look at this one, it's similar to the other, but 2 way. Slightly more expensive.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clifford-2-2...63d54c&vxp=mtr

This plugs into alarm and send power to actuators. (I have it, and it makes it extremely simple)
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...cted-451M.html

Actuators.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEI-524N-TWO...7f30a2&vxp=mtr
Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/audio-security-video-27/car-alarm-guide-how-pick-out-security-system-meet-your-needs-open-2518715/ here's a thread all about alarms.

So far (Just my/dad's communter, not even including our other car's) has been broken into and tried to be stolen off of our lot 4-5 times. EVERY SINGLE TIME what stalled them(We don't even have a siren just the dog barking alerts us) was this little chip we have. I believe it's something like a pull-out ecu chip and i have tried EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING to start this car without it and god damn it will not start. It only takes us 10-15 secs after the dog barking to be out there with a bat and i know for damn sure they won't figure out it needs a chip fast enough lol. If i knew what it was called i would tell you lol. Someone with experience with honda's here will probably know. Just spend the extra money bro, then strip the alarm from this car when you sell it and install it on your new car.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Adding keyless is a piece of cake, and is pretty cheap if you already have an alarm.

Take a look at this one, it's similar to the other, but 2 way. Slightly more expensive.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clifford-2-2...63d54c&vxp=mtr

This plugs into alarm and send power to actuators. (I have it, and it makes it extremely simple)
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...cted-451M.html

Actuators.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEI-524N-TWO...7f30a2&vxp=mtr
If I already have power doors do I need the actuators? And is there a thread that details this entire process, sure there is but I just haven't found it...I think I may get that system...not too much, and it's a decent company.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by NoogaHonda
If I already have power doors do I need the actuators? And is there a thread that details this entire process, sure there is but I just haven't found it...I think I may get that system...not too much, and it's a decent company.
You wont need the actuators. The stock locks will work with the alarm, however aftermarket will not..
There probably is, but if not, I could basically walk you threw the install.

The hardest part is mounting the actuators.

The box simply get it's power/ground from the alarm. There is 1 plug from the box to the alarm brain. (where it gets the signal.)

Then you run wires to the door (2 wires per door.) Make the connections and enjoy the keyless.

The DEI box will come with instructions in it, find the power/ground on the alarm, splice and go.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:

You wont need the actuators. The stock locks will work with the alarm, however aftermarket will not..
There probably is, but if not, I could basically walk you threw the install.

The hardest part is mounting the actuators.

The box simply get it's power/ground from the alarm. There is 1 plug from the box to the alarm brain. (where it gets the signal.)

Then you run wires to the door (2 wires per door.) Make the connections and enjoy the keyless.

The DEI box will come with instructions in it, find the power/ground on the alarm, splice and go.
Man, you've been some great help! I feel much more comfortable buying a system and installing it myself! I'll update when I buy a system and when I install for sure!

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Master Detailer

if I can get some time to myself this weekend, I'll yank my door panel and get a picture of where I put my actuator.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Aftermarket Keyless Entry

You are more on my page. I can't just drop $300, well I can but that's ridiculous. My car is pretty much stock except for a newer head unit-which I only spent like $120 on...so I'm not too worried about anything getting stolen. My car isn't flashy, hell still the original (what's left of it) paint. $150 is pretty much my limit on a system. The alarm isn't what I'm wanting-it's the keyless entry/locking.

would you rather spend 150-300 for an alarm or spend 2,500 to 4,000 to replace your car? IMO, 150 sounds better. Just saying, if you really LOVE your car so much wouldnt you spend the extra cash on some quality parts and not some junk?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by One92Eg6
would you rather spend 150-300 for an alarm or spend 2,500 to 4,000 to replace your car? IMO, 150 sounds better. Just saying, if you really LOVE your car so much wouldnt you spend the extra cash on some quality parts and not some junk?
Exactly what we have been saying lol. It baffles me why people want to go cheap with the MOST important aspects of your car rofl.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Viper 350 alarm is good and can be installed for ~$200 or under if you do everything yourself. I'm about to order one myself.