Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Aftermarket Intake vs Stock Intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Intake vs Stock Intake

I was just wondering, what are your views on it? Should you put on an aftermarket intake, which will somewhat "increase" performance, or leave the stock intake that was put in by the factory, designed to give the motor a longer life expectancy? Maybe just put a sock over the intake and call it a day (lol)
Old 12-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i'd say intake cause it gives you a nice deep sound while in the car. makes vtec more audible also haha. and on top of that you get like a LITTLE performance. prolly like 1 hp hahaha correct me if im wrong.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:27 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (envision)

Use the stock intake and put a K&N filter on it.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like to maintain that stock look.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:50 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Neebs)

oem w/ spoon drop-in filter
Old 12-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol aftermarket intake supposedly lowers the resistance of how much air is going into the engine. But to do that, the filter pores should be increased in size, thus creating a small problem because things could get into the engine. PLease correct me if im wrong. also if you think about it, if you put an aftermarket intake, or in any case, an aftermarket part on a car thats under warranty, will that void that warranty??
Old 12-08-2007, 11:33 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Aftermarket Intake vs Stock Intake (oovvutt)

Well i would have to say, adding an aftermarket intake to your car can add horsepower gains up to nearly 50 wheel horsepower, sometimes 60 with the right aftermarket header combo
Old 12-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Intake vs Stock Intake (Im_a_black_man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Im_a_black_man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well i would have to say, adding an aftermarket intake to your car can add horsepower gains up to nearly 50 wheel horsepower, sometimes 60 with the right aftermarket header combo</TD></TR></TABLE>
Oh really? Please elaborate.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Im_a_black_man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well i would have to say, adding an aftermarket intake to your car can add horsepower gains up to nearly 50 wheel horsepower, sometimes 60 with the right aftermarket header combo</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow i really hope this guy meant .50 and .60 hp gains hahahaha
Old 12-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait what? Under the laws of physics, thats impossible, unless you rig up like a leaf blower to it lol
Old 12-09-2007, 03:04 AM

dude ur fu*kin dumb, not even putting a k&n aftermarket on an 07' z06 corvette will it increase that much horsepower.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:15 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You must be on some strong stuff.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Intake vs Stock Intake (NOFX)

I cant tell the Difference I put my stock intake back on for winter and its still loud and pulls hard lol so idk I guess I'll use the intake tell i get a better stock looking intake or the Password Jdm
Old 12-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anybody know what sarcasm is?

The stock intake is way better.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stock intake with a better filter. aftermarkets are over rated
Old 12-09-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Re: (ShaggyZ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShaggyZ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock intake with a better filter. aftermarkets are over rated </TD></TR></TABLE>
you are damn right on this..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n1_egsex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oem w/ spoon drop-in filter

</TD></TR></TABLE>

that one looks/sounds/work perfect..
but, how much for a spoon drop-in filter???

btw guys... what about for a D-Series engine?
Old 12-09-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Dante Civic)

This also depend on which intake set up is being used, on the integra shown there is very little to restrict the air flow (beyond the small intake port and space limitation of the air box around the filter), where as on say my DX's (D16y7) factory intake there is significant intake size different between the throttle body and the intake tube (I've never had an OE intake since I purchased my car but my buddy just purchased an lx and it had the OE intake... the air intake pipe was I think 1 1/2" diameter....) which leads to restriction an dynamic port velocity..... this coupled with it's large filter box a top the tb also creates interesting air flow...

Would I say aftermarket is better than OE when it comes to a filter set up.... Yes in some cases, no in others..... it all depends on the vehicle being used. Aesthetically I think a good intake kit looks better than an OE box but I also like the spoon open filter kit for the DC's, it has a classy look to it as well...
Old 12-09-2007, 01:41 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (EK_B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK_B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anybody know what sarcasm is? </TD></TR></TABLE>
You can never tell with noobies and/or morons.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason I keep the aftermarket intake on my car is because I love the sound of the engine with it. Personally I like the look of the stock intake better though. A drop in filter would work just fine I'm sure.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (devney)

i was told that you can lose torque just putting a filter on a stock intake......for example i was planning to put a K&N filter on my stock intake on a d16y8 but when i asked a friend he said i would lose torque. should i just buy an aftermarket intake instead.....
Old 12-09-2007, 02:52 PM
H-T White Ops

I only lost a considerable amount of power when I had to put a short ram intake onto my '98 EX coupe. Low end was just gone (I think I mistakenly posted top end in other threads before...).

It hadn't been that bad when I had a cold air intake, but when that was stolen and I went to a SRI, it was bad. It felt like the car was lagging. I went to a stock air box and haven't had an issue since.

I can't see a normal name brand filter in a stock intake being an issue though.

Do you mean you were thinking of putting a cone filter onto your stock intake arm?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Intake vs Stock Intake (mizzoEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mizzoEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not even putting a k&n aftermarket on an 07' z06 corvette will it increase that much horsepower.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong...the very restrictive intake filter on the new Z06 limit their horsepower...people have taken them out and have seen gains of over 20hp to the wheels
Old 12-09-2007, 03:39 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Aftermarket Intake vs Stock Intake (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You must be on some strong stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow its amazing that no one on this site knows what sarcasm is, and im not a noob by any means, I would have responded sooner but i guess im still a trial user so only 5 posts in 24 hours for me haha

and to the guy that said im stupid cause im black? your a racist b*tch

If I said something like that I woulda been banned by now
Old 12-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CarbonizedDX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CarbonizedDX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> on the integra shown</TD></TR></TABLE>

What integra?

OP... you can go to Advanced and pick up a K&N airfilter that drops into you stock airbox. They're only a few bucks.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Im_a_black_man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow its amazing that no one on this site knows what sarcasm is, and im not a noob by any means, I would have responded sooner but i guess im still a trial user so only 5 posts in 24 hours for me haha</TD></TR></TABLE>
Like NOFX said, it is sometimes hard to tell with "n00bs", and it's hard to communicate tone of voice over the internet. Some would say something like that, but they would really mean it.

By the way, I'm saying "n00b" because you are new to the forum, even if you're not new to cars.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Intake vs Stock Intake