Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

aftermarket fuel filter, stock fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket fuel filter, stock fuel pump

so when i got my car it came with a fuel cell and two system 1 fuel filters, one before the external pump and one afterwards. the second one was in the engine bay and looked pretty cool right there. the fuel cell sucked though so i went back to a stock tank/hard lines.....

i'm sure i don't need two fuel filters, but i want to go back to my braided lines and keep my stock tank.

so my question is will the stock fuel pump be powerful enough to put fuel through just one of them. i.e. are either one of them going to be more drag than a stock fuel filter.

i know that there is nothing wrong with the stock filters in these cars, but the previous owner cleaned the engine bay so well that i have to mount my stock filter in a kind of lame way. it would be just way easier and look a lot cleaner if i could just use one of my aftermarket filters back in there and use that as my filter

thanks!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: aftermarket fuel filter, stock fuel pump

You do actually need two filters: one before the pump, and one before the injectors.

If you're going back to a "stock" in-tank pump, they typically have a filter sock on the inlet which replaces the need for the System One filter installed before your in-line pump.

The 2nd filter should be 10 micron and installed before the fuel rail. This is to ensure the injectors don't trap any dirt. And yes, a stock pump can "push" through an aftermarket filter. Hypothetically, if your filter had a 3 psi pressure drop, it just means your pump has to do 48 psi worth of "work" for you to see 45 psi at the rail, which they are more than capable of doing (stock pumps max out around 70 psi).

Do yourself a favor: open up the 2nd system one filter and 1) make sure it has a paper element in it 2) make sure the element isn't damaged, torn, or separated, 3) make sure it isn't already packed with debris. If it's clean, you're good to go.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: aftermarket fuel filter, stock fuel pump

brilliant freakin advice!

thank you very much!