Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Aftermarket ecu questions and pros n cons vs. Stock ecu

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Aftermarket ecu questions and pros n cons vs. Stock ecu

I'm getting a chip for my ecu from a store/seller on eBay, it was like $70 so I figured wth why not try it out. Plus I have some bolt ons and think 120 isn't my eks' true limit. Lol. I'm not sure exactly everything it can do, but I spoke with some in customer service and they said it was fully customize-able. Anywho, I'll get to the questions at hand....what are somethings I can do in terms of modifying my ecu and/or the other computers onboard? Are hondata addons(or whatever they're called) a good investment even tho my engine is not forced induction? Is using another ecu like one from a wrecked car(same everything as mine, (p2p a31,32,or33 to b exact) a good idea for backup? Thank you to all, and feel free to reply with any additional info you think could be of use to me. :-)
Old 02-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket ecu questions and pros n cons vs. Stock ecu

ebay chips are not tuned to your specific engine requirements and can ruin your engine!

STAY AWAY FROM THESE PRE-TUNED CHIPS!!!!!

the likes of hondata, ectune etc etc are fully programmable and very good regardless of if you have a turbo or not!

if your engine is pretty stock you will not see huge gains from any of these ecu setups but with a good tune you will gain a bit of power and prob better fuel economy!

the main thing is to go to a GOOD tuner, if its not tuned right you could lose power and also destroy your engine!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:36 PM

Don't buy chips/etc off ebay. It is not going to do as expected. If your engine is stock or nearly all stock, chipping your ECU is not going to provide much benefits. Also, your EK's stock ECU isn't easily chippable. You will need a conversion harness from OBD2 to OBD1 and an OBD1 socketed ECU, then you will need to setup an appointment to have your car tuned on a dyno and a chip programmed with the final settings and inserted into your new OBD1 ECU. Hondata S300, Neptune RTP, etc. are units that are installed in your ECU in place of a chip to allow real-time program changes along with almost endless other adjustments...
Old 02-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IVE GOT A 97 CIVIC WITH A SWAP TO A B16A1 THE VTECH IS NOT ENGAGING AND THE ECU IS ODD HAS NO NAME,NUMBERS ETC. THERE ARE WIRES CUT FROM THE HARNESS JUMPER? HELP PLEASE
Old 02-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon5 Re: Aftermarket ecu questions and pros n cons vs. Stock ecu

yikes hondadude! idk bout that
but where i get hung up is when i convert to obd1 what ecu do i use? one that is compatible and will fully control everything else like ac and stuff, but they didnt make any obd1's in 1997...
can anyone give me some specification
thank for all the info thus far