Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

aftermarket dizzys?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default aftermarket dizzys?

does anyone make an aftermarket dizzy? not like aftermarket oem but as an upgrade? ive been looking cant find anything. LS motor btw.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: aftermarket dizzys?

MSD makes a billet dizzy for the b series.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:54 PM

b-series non vtec obd1 please
Old 07-03-2009, 12:54 PM

msd makes all vtec ones. if i am going to spend the money on a dizzy i just want it to be worth it.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:01 PM

You do realize that the MSD distributors are more expensive than the OEM Honda versions don't you? They look great and perform very well but they are very pricey. Whenever you replace a stock part with a "billet" aftermarket part you can be sure that you will spend 2-3 times more on the part.

Is there a reason you won't use a stock distributor? Are you building an engine for a show car?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shailoche
You do realize that the MSD distributors are more expensive than the OEM Honda versions don't you? They look great and perform very well but they are very pricey. Whenever you replace a stock part with a "billet" aftermarket part you can be sure that you will spend 2-3 times more on the part.

Is there a reason you won't use a stock distributor? Are you building an engine for a show car?
Quite true. I was just answering his question though. I would just stick with stock. I don't see any legitimate reason to spend the extra money when the stock one will perform fine.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by shailoche

eh honda dizzys from honda are expensive too... im sure i could get my napa discount i just dont like how unreliable the dizzy's seem from there. we went thru a few stores that got us a dizzy for my buddys car and they all failed within a week (reman's). finally he got a NEW one not a reman and he didnt have any more issues.

not building a show motor. honda's seem to be known for their dizzy issues. pretty much every honda that was in my group has dealt with them. since all these sensors like TDC or CPS w/e are in there and probably get hot they are more likely prone to failure or so i would assume. i plan on autocrossing the car. just kinda figuring if i am going to drop the money at honda for a stock dizzy should i just get something a lil bit nicer.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

MSD dizzys are okay... i ended up spending about 600 for the pro billet dizzy, the coil, and the coil driver that is required. Other than running smoother ive felt no power gains what so ever and this one is actually the second one ive had due to poor QA from MSD, first one literally exploded and ended up knocking my timing out 180 degrees. If you end up getting one, they do make them for an LS...or they used to anyways, but make sure you take the cap off before installation and make sure the rotor button screws are tight seeing as thats what happened to mine. GL
Old 07-03-2009, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by dividedas1
eh honda dizzys from honda are expensive too... im sure i could get my napa discount i just dont like how unreliable the dizzy's seem from there. we went thru a few stores that got us a dizzy for my buddys car and they all failed within a week (reman's). finally he got a NEW one not a reman and he didnt have any more issues.
In this case I would simply opt to purchase a brand new factory OEM Honda distributor. It will cost you more than the NAPA or Autozone part but much less than the MSD billet unit. Honda is well know for their racing heritage and the engineering it takes to make an engine work under extreme conditions. As such, their parts tend to stand up very well under the harsh conditions of racing.

I know there are a ton of guys out there who complain about Honda distributors going bad. But, I know that most of those guys who replaced their distributors did so with a used Honda distributor out of a donor car. I haven't heard of many cases where somebody bought an OEM Honda distributor from a dealership and had it go bad.

There are likely cases where the distributor was shipped DOA but those cases are rare. It is very likely that a brand new OEM Honda distributor will last you for 150,000 miles under almost any conditions. The problem is that they are so expensive that many enthusiasts purchase used or reconditioned units and they don't last. Then they are upset and claim Honda makes crap distributors...if they had purchased new parts from a dealership they would spend more money and less time complaining about parts quality.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:45 AM

im not saying that honda makes crap dizzys... all i am saying is they have alot of sensors and stuff in there. they probably heat up... i could see how an external coil could be a good thing ya know? honestly this is the first time i've had to replace a dizzy on one of my honda's.

we'll see, maybe i can see if my buddy at the stealership can hook me up. but last time i checked i thought they were like 4-500 bucks...

thanks for all the input guys!
Old 07-04-2009, 04:39 PM

does anyone know who sells genuine Honda Dizzy's that is cheaper than Honda Direct?
Old 07-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

4-500 for a distributor?! you might want to recheck that. I've had good luck with distributorking dizzys. supposedly they reman them with parts that have a higher temp rating for better longevity.