Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

aftermarket CTR wing any easy way to add light

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon2 aftermarket CTR wing any easy way to add light

Hey just bought a cheap aftermarket CTR wing without a third brake light (it was really cheap and already painted the same coulor as my ek) i know i should just save my penny's and try and find a real one but the cheapest i saw was $200 with out the base plate so is there any easy way to add a light to the wing or hatch cover ? maybe in the backwindow??? any help would be great
Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: aftermarket CTR wing any easy way to add light

You would have to cut the wing to fit a light, run wiring and hook it up to the factory 3rd brake light harness.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

trade me? i have one with third brake light
Old 01-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your in californa right ?i'm in ontario canada my wing is red looks like yours is black if your serious check on shipping and big country i said easy way like small light i can mount to the upper part of the back window
Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: aftermarket CTR wing any easy way to add light

are they supost to have a light i looked at a buch of picks of ek9's and couldn't see the light in any of them even with tails on not sure if brakes or just tails
Old 01-04-2010, 05:34 PM

No they aren't supposed to have a brake light in them. Only cheap knock off CTR wings have them... There isn't gonna be an easy mod for this.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I too am running into this problem. I plan on getting the wing in the next few days but then I want to be sure that I have this 3rd break light issue resolved first before purchasing the wing. Well, this is what I thought/did. I took the light from my stock spoiler and mounted them onto some some brackets from the hardware store. Then I plan on to mount the light onto the plastic piece on top inside the rear hatch.

As for the wiring, I got a spoon style wing with the 3rd break light already and I already cut the wires and stripped and reattached the wires, so it will be pretty easy to attach the wires.

I know this may look ghetto but then again, I'm sure it will decrease my risk of getting pulled over.

I hope this helps in any way.
Attached Images     
Old 01-07-2011, 12:20 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by canadaek
Hey just bought a cheap aftermarket CTR wing without a third brake light (it was really cheap and already painted the same coulor as my ek) i know i should just save my penny's and try and find a real one but the cheapest i saw was $200 with out the base plate so is there any easy way to add a light to the wing or hatch cover ? maybe in the backwindow??? any help would be great
Originally Posted by canadaek
are they supost to have a light i looked at a buch of picks of ek9's and couldn't see the light in any of them even with tails on not sure if brakes or just tails
Your easiest way to comply to the CHMSL law (all US vehicles from 1986+ are required to have one) is to mount an aftermarket brake light in your rear window. I do not know what the law might be on high mount stop lights in Canada though.

Are you looking to comply to a law or is this for aesthetic purposes?

The Civic Type R was only available in Japan for 1997-2000. They are not, or at least were not required to have a center high mount stop light in Japan and thus these cars do not have them.

So no, CTR wings don't have a brake light built in. Only some aftermarket ones have them.

I've never heard of anyone being pulled over for no high mount stop light besides one of my customers just a few weeks ago. That could have had more to do with the existing light being burnt out instead though.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey old post i mounted 4 red led's in the top trim panel on the hatch so you don't see them when there not on i'll try and post a pic up i wasn't real worried about being pulled over more about being run over by some redneck in a jacked up truck! thanks for the reply though