Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

are aftermarket axles worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are aftermarket axles worth it?

I'm soon to be in desperate need of new axles. I was wondering if anybody here runs some kind of aftermarket axle (Raxles, etc.).

Are they that much better? Will they really last forever? Or am I just better off getting remanufactured axles from the parts shop?

I seem to have gone through these axles fairly quickly. They came with the swap and they may have been new. reman, or OEM. But I've only been driving the car a couple months...

Anyway, I'm planning on some auto-x, road-race, etc. and continuing power upgrades in the future (right now mostly stock b16a). So are they worth it?

Thanks.

EDIT: spellcheck

[Modified by Barabus, 5:34 AM 12/22/2001]
Old 12-21-2001, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: are aftermarket axles worth it? (Barabus)

If I were you, I'd just get some from Kragen or something. They have a life time warranty, so whenever you break one, you get another set for free.

If you're getting nutty and building a full on drag racing moster civic, then, that might be the time to get custom axels.

But as for now, just stick with stock...or close to stock.
Old 12-21-2001, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: are aftermarket axles worth it? (fowler yo!)

My only concern with reman. axles is that, despite the lifetime warranty, they may still break often. This is my experience with remanufactured alternators. Lifetime warranty, but they still die once a year, so I still have to go through the pain of replacing them.

Though with axles and the way I drive, it's just as likely to be my fault if they go out. So I might as well go with remanufactured and count on replacing them once in a while.
Old 12-22-2001, 09:04 AM
New User

i am running raxles on my h22 hatch and hae about 3-4 thousand miles on them and there nice thequality is better than the reamns i have some of those too.

jesse
Old 12-22-2001, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I read in Sport Compact Car magazine that Roger Foo who races a yellow EG Civic Hatchback, uses OEM Si '99 Axles so it seems that the '99 Si Axles are pretty strong for road racing in NA form, but it may be differnt for drag racing.
Old 12-22-2001, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine with raxles some 60,000 miles ago. I am very satisfied so far. When I got ready to do the replacements I checked out the cheap re-mans for $69. They didn't have the damper ring on them (or whatever it's called) and just didn't look like a quality product.

I talked to Marty at raxles.com and finally ordered a pair from him. The boot rubber looked to be of better quality, and overall they were 100% identical to my originals. They cost me about $99 each. Even though the cheapies also have a warranty on them, it's a job I'd rather do only once, not every year or so.