Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

after what year can you not take out your airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after what year can you not take out your airbags?

After what year is it illegal to take your airbags out?
Old 02-11-2006, 11:13 AM

Default Re: after what year can you not take out your airbags? (huge230)

its illegal to take out your airbags ? since when ?
Old 02-11-2006, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought after a certain year you had to keep them. Like 1995 give or take a couple of years. Hopefully Im wrong
Old 02-11-2006, 11:21 AM

hmmm....never heard about it.

if you take them out but clean up the dash area, how are cops going to know ??? do it clean and you should be fine.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: after what year can you not take out your airbags? (CALIdelsolSIR)

what about an aftermarket wheel though. Theyll see that
Old 02-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you wanna just take out your airbags? they are there for a reason, and a pretty good one. unless you are installing a different steering wheel, there's no point (correct me if im wrong)

edit: oh, and im pretty sure its not illegal, just a safety regulation for the companies
Old 02-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blkSi)

well i want a different wheel which doesnt have an airbag. Other than that no real reason except to save a few pounds
Old 02-11-2006, 11:28 AM

to lighten up the car i could understand taking them out or for an aftermarket wheel and hub. people find weird reason to do **** like this. why not, it's their car. haha

Old 02-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CALIdelsolSIR)

i just saw a wheel ina guys car toay an i loved it so i want one
Old 02-11-2006, 11:35 AM
HTBATRACER

It is illegal to remove airbags from any car that has them from the factory.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tihul)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tihul &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is illegal to remove airbags from any car that has them from the factory.</TD></TR></TABLE>

shitty
Old 02-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tihul &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is illegal to remove airbags from any car that has them from the factory.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you have proof?
Old 02-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know if thats true. I think wearing seat belts should be just fine.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:51 AM

This man is correct because you would be tampering with a safety restraint and insurance company's don't like it either if they find out.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (teknoracing)

Well, I can see it from both sides of the fence. I hate airbags. Have one hit you in the face, and you might think about taking them out.

On the other side, you're left with insurance issues. I've heard quite a few stories about people getting in wrecks w/ airbags removed, and the insurance companies giving them fits about paying after they find out.

First hand experience- I can tell you that in order for a dealer to legally disable factory installed safety equipment (i.e. airbag switch for passenger side airbag), a certificate has to be obtained from NHTSA allowing the modification to be performed. This is not a new thing.

Truth of this matter is the same as anything. Catching comes before hanging. You could probably get away with it, but there's a good chance that it could eventually catch up with you.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (qat727)

In Va. It is illegal to take them out if they came with it originally. I told a cop that was going to give me a ticket to expletive off. my wife is 4ft 10inch, and if she could actually drive my car, the airbags would expletive her up more than help. I also told him I would go to VDOT and get a waiver if he gives me a ticket.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ld take mine out and sell them to local body shops...they go for a pretty penny
Old 02-11-2006, 04:22 PM
cyb
Honda-Tech Member

How does any of this affect getting your car inspected? I took them out b/c I hate them and just let the inspection go. If you have a working horn, signals, parking brake, etc. can you still pass inspection?

Old 02-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cyb)

no...becaue if the car came with it, they need to be there to pass, (in Va.) and you with have a light for them being gone. Thats why when I removed all of mine, I also took out the brain and the light!
Old 02-11-2006, 08:37 PM
cyb
Honda-Tech Member

I took out both airbags, the brain, the clock spring, the light, and even the wiring harness! Still think there would be a problem with VA inspection? I still have the passenger side cover on there and a momo wheel.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes its illegal to remove a working airbag from a vehicle. there is no year rule, if it came with an airbag, its illegal. period. your insurance company does not legally have to cover any medical injuries sustained by illegal removal of a working airbag in the event of an accident.

"saving a few pounds" is the most retarded reason ive ever heard for wanting to remove an airbag. you have no legitimate reason for removing it, so leave it alone.

oh and as for <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by qat727 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I can see it from both sides of the fence. I hate airbags. Have one hit you in the face, and you might think about taking them out.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
you do not get hit by an airbag, you hit the airbag. getting struck by a deploying airbag would kill you. you think it hurts hitting an airbag? try hitting the steering wheel or windshield. all of a sudden the airbag dosent hurt as much anymore.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kamin)

I as well live in VA and i no longer have my airbags in my car, i know as in most places, weather or not it's illegal, you can have a ticket written for not having your airbag, but i see a couple of you mentioned about getting a certificate bypassing this or something? is that true? and megameet.org what can VDOT do?
Old 02-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh and as for
you do not get hit by an airbag, you hit the airbag. getting struck by a deploying airbag would kill you. you think it hurts hitting an airbag? try hitting the steering wheel or windshield. all of a sudden the airbag dosent hurt as much anymore. </TD></TR></TABLE>

As a personal rule, I don't get into arguments on forums.... remember the Special Olympics, kids.... however I don't get along too well with being called out for something that wasn't wrong.

Let's just say that you weren't there, and you aren't aware of the circumstances.... Your thought process seems to forget halfway through about the existence of seat belts. Seat belts have been in common use for over 30 years.... airbags have only been in widespread use for half that time.

A properly worn seat belt can effectively restrain a vehicle occupant. Hence the name applied to the airbag system- SRS. Supplemental Restraint System. I'm not quite sure how you got the mistaken notion that all collisions where an airbag does not deploy would result in hitting the steering wheel or the windshield. These types of injuries usually only occur when a seat belt is not used, or when there is a malfunction in the seat belt.

Yes, you can be struck by an airbag. Yes, you can live through it. Just ask any number of people that have owned a mid 1990's Nissan, or any number of people that go through the special investigations division of any auto maker. This does happen. People do live through it.

Yes, it does hurt to have an airbag hit you, or to hit an airbag regardless. To be true, it does hurt to hit the steering wheel or the windshield as well. The main thing to watch for is proper use of the seat belt. And just in case the explanation above was not enough for you, here's some raw data for you.

My hatchback is a 1992 Si. It came with a driver's airbag. The service manual, first edition, covering 1992 Civic 3 Door hatchback and 4 door sedan models, lists handling and removal procedures for not only the SRS (airbag) steering wheel, but also for a non-SRS steering wheel. The vehicle did not come with a passenger side airbag, either. These weren't added until 1994. Now, obviously, if Honda had not manufactured the vehicle to sufficiently protect occupants based on vehicle standards at the time, it would never have even been offered without a driver's side airbag.

Do what you want.... All my cars that I drive still have the airbags in them. I don't drive like an ***, and I don't want to go through the hassle of removing it. That, and I suspect Honda probably put a bit more thought into the design than Saturn did
Old 02-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RDix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RDix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I as well live in VA and i no longer have my airbags in my car, i know as in most places, weather or not it's illegal, you can have a ticket written for not having your airbag, but i see a couple of you mentioned about getting a certificate bypassing this or something? is that true? and megameet.org what can VDOT do?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check this page out for more info.... straight from the horse's mouth....

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/peopl....html
Old 02-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, i'll have to look into this a little more...there's sometimes when i think i wanna keep my airbag, and sometimes when i don't want it there..i guess this would sort of be an alternative..thanks for the heads up

Quick Reply: after what year can you not take out your airbags?