Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

After timing belt car seems sluggish?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After timing belt car seems sluggish?

Ok so my 98 Civic Ex D16y8 has about 110 k miles on it it has a cheapo exhuast but otherwise bone stock motor , i never had a timing gun so i go to find out the timing is waay advanced? i used to be able to peel out a bit from a standstill.

WELL i got tired of the loud exhuast so i put a somewhat stock can back on, it was time for A TIMING BELT CHANGE, so i might as well change the water pump and some new belts right? so i do. well after i get the new belt on and finish everything up the timing is right at the first single mark. well new timing belt, new spark plugs, new water pump, new alternator belt, new coolant. the car is sluggish? seems like before when i was at a stand still i could punch the gas and the car would kind of peel out a lil now it just kind bogs out for half a second then gradually speeds up? is this how the car should run?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: After timing belt car seems sluggish? (mv1luv)

Your timings off by a few teeth.

When you say you lined it up to the first mark, first mark of what?

On the waterpump theres a mark and on the crank gear theres a mark. Line those 2 up and the block is at TDC.

On the cam gears theres an "UP" and two "-" on each side you have to line that up with the back cover so it looks like - - - - - - but at an angle.

When you put on the belt you want to put it over the intake cam first then the exhaust that way the tensioner is seated properly. Spin a couple times so its tightened.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it cant be off ? it didnt move at all? i marked it with a red marker? the "up" was at 12 oclock. the crankshaft lined up perfectly? are these symptoms of it being off by a few teeth?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mv1luv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mv1luv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> are these symptoms of it being off by a few teeth?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, and if nothing else go back and check it to be POSITIVE this isn't your problem before you move on.

If it ran fine before and then you did something to it, and now it doesn't run right, the problem must lie in whatever you did to it. Well you messed with the timing/timing belt, so you should start there.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it took me 6 hours !!
Old 12-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive been driving my car for over 600 miles like this whats the worse that may happen?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:05 AM

worse case you bend a valve, and have to have the head rebuilt.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn i could have sworn i did everything by the manual too being extra careful not too move the crankshaft or the camshaft. but i mean these two really wont move unless you make them move they were pretty damn stiff?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mv1luv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn i could have sworn i did everything by the manual too being extra careful not too move the crankshaft or the camshaft. but i mean these two really wont move unless you make them move they were pretty damn stiff?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know what you mean, especially the cam gear, it's not easy to bump and move it. But when you put the belt on, all it takes is a little nudge way one or the other to throw it off. I'm not saying this is definitely your problem, but I think it's a good place to start.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

before i go that route .. tell me please the car idles fine. power is lost a bit kinda sluggish?
i checked the timing before i actually changed the belt and it was waay advanced. now after the new belt went on the timing is set almost right on the single line on the crankshaft ( before the 3 other ticks) and now it seems to get better gas milage and the new muffler makes waay less noise. what are MAJOR indications that i may be a tooth off or so? im just trying to eliminate any reasonable doubt
Old 12-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i think what i did wrong is i have my timing set to 0btdc there are 3 tick marks which one is correct for the d16y8 normal timing? please help
Old 12-09-2005, 11:27 AM
tpr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The timing (checked using a timing light) should line up with the middle mark (red) of the three marks that are side by side at 750 RPM. The single white mark is for TDC (top dead center). If the timing is set to the single white mark it would act just like you have described. It is not advanced enough. If possible set it to the red mark. If the distributer will not turn that far then the cam timing is not set properly

To check the cam timing set the crank pulley to the single white mark then check to see if the cam gear is in the proper position. The UP arrow is up and the two maeks on the cam gear line up with the head/block interface.

If it does not line up then the timing belt has to come off and be properly reinstalled.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tpr)

omg YOUR a lifesaver i have the timing set to the single tick mark TDC i noticed the other three but didnt think much of it i thought that was the timign waay advanced but i guess im like my car is really retarded thats explains the power loss.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you've found the problem.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah that affirmative! THANKYOU for the feedback everyone!
Old 12-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tpr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tpr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The timing (checked using a timing light) should line up with the middle mark (red) of the three marks that are side by side at 750 RPM. The single white mark is for TDC (top dead center). If the timing is set to the single white mark it would act just like you have described. It is not advanced enough. If possible set it to the red mark. If the distributer will not turn that far then the cam timing is not set properly

To check the cam timing set the crank pulley to the single white mark then check to see if the cam gear is in the proper position. The UP arrow is up and the two maeks on the cam gear line up with the head/block interface.

If it does not line up then the timing belt has to come off and be properly reinstalled.</TD></TR></TABLE> wow thx fpr useful information i was wondering what i could do since my timing mark wont reach 16btc(middle mark) it only reaches before the 14.. so i know its retarded... didnt think it was that easy to fix