Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

After swap my car wont start, fuel pump wont even prime. ?grn/blk wires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After swap my car wont start, fuel pump wont even prime. ?grn/blk wires?

I swapped in a d16y8 in my 97 hatchback and i converted it to manual at the same time, so i ended up using the auto harness.

So i have the battery connected and the ecu connected and i dont have any of my coolant stuff installed inclusing radiator. I go to start the car and nothing check all the grounds and everything is connected, try it again and still nothing.

The ONLY lights that come on on the dash are the SRS, Brake, and Seatbelt, nothing else. I checked all the wiring and everything is connected.

When i was taking out my driver seat to do the pedals the wire for the seatbelt broke in half so i just wired tehm together, could this be a problem?

Any suggestions would be awesome, thanks!

Also i have 2 grn/blk wires coming from the transmission and they are not connected to anything, what could this be? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: After swap my car wont start, fuel pump wont even prime. ?grn/blk wires? (pumpkyn)

pretty sure the wires coming out of ur tranny are for either the vehicle speed sensor or the reverse switch (toggles ur reverse lights).. Alright, so ur having stage diagnostics fine, but no fuel pump, did you check the fuel pump relay? Make sure the clutch switch is wired in there or it won't turn over (most likely) even with the pedal down, that switch needs to be hooked up or jumped or it wont' turn over. If both of those are set I'd move into the engine bay and see if your starter motor is getting juice, then see where you are from there.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: After swap my car wont start, fuel pump wont even prime. ?grn/blk wires? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pretty sure the wires coming out of ur tranny are for either the vehicle speed sensor or the reverse switch (toggles ur reverse lights).. Alright, so ur having stage diagnostics fine, but no fuel pump, did you check the fuel pump relay? Make sure the clutch switch is wired in there or it won't turn over (most likely) even with the pedal down, that switch needs to be hooked up or jumped or it wont' turn over. If both of those are set I'd move into the engine bay and see if your starter motor is getting juice, then see where you are from there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah that does make sense for the reverse lights.

i guess i don't need to worry about the clutch switch, since the wire harness is for an automatic?! all i had to do is wire three wires together to make it think its in park so it should start...right?!

where is the fuel pump switch relay? thanks for the advice so far
Old 06-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: After swap my car wont start, fuel pump wont even prime. ?grn/blk wires? (pumpkyn)

The harness needs the signal that the clutch is depressed... I don't know how that converts to an auto harness but I don't think it's the same.. There's 2 more wires on a plug that need to be jumped or connected to a switch so they activate..like I said, I'm 99.9% sure they're different from the park ones on an auto...could be wrong though
Old 06-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: After swap my car wont start, fuel pump wont even prime. ?grn/blk wires? (Syndacate)

Thanks man, I don't know what the expletive to do Troubleshooting ftl...Hopefully something will happen tonight...
Old 06-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heres a way to check ur fuel pump.
1. find the fuse on the relay
2. make a jumper wire( a ghetto wire) and strip the end to make a jumper.
3. jump the fuel pump fuse and listen for it.
4. if you hear it then you have a short from fuse to the ecu.
hope this helps
Old 06-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: After swap my car wont start, fuel pump wont even prime. ?grn/blk wires? (JDMEK-9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMEK-9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">heres a way to check ur fuel pump.
hope this helps</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ill see if I can do this, I think the problem maybe that the car is immobilzed for some reason I bought the car from a bad credit place and ive had the immobilzer disconnected for a month so it maybe activated if so im gonna be pissed. Yeah the immobilzer is wired into the dash right by were the relay is located
Old 06-18-2006, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What ECU are you using? I was under the assumption that Integra ECU's were the only ones to use an immobilizer. And you don't have an Integra engine so you shouldn't have an Integra ECU.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: After swap my car wont start, fuel pump wont even prime. ?grn/blk wires? (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What ECU are you using? I was under the assumption that Integra ECU's were the only ones to use an immobilizer. And you don't have an Integra engine so you shouldn't have an Integra ECU.</TD></TR></TABLE>

P2P, this is an after market immobilzer installed from the bad credit dealership i bought it from. and it is right where the main relay is located
Old 06-19-2006, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for anymore suggestions
Old 06-19-2006, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The immobilizer only disables fuel pump control from the ECU. Is the fuel pump priming for 2 seconds when you turn the key to ON?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: After swap my car wont start, fuel pump wont even prime. ?grn/blk wires? (EE_Chris)

nope and i got the immobilzer disconnted and nothing still the fuel pump isnt priming and yeah im pissed
Old 06-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could the main relay seriously be messing me up?

Also i only have the SRS light on and thats it but when i go to turn the key the brake light flashes on
Old 06-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: After swap my car wont start, fuel pump wont even prime. ?grn/blk wires? (JDMEK-9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMEK-9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">heres a way to check ur fuel pump.
hope this helps</TD></TR></TABLE>

just did this

Modified by pumpkyn at 1:13 AM 6/20/2006
Old 06-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The harness needs the signal that the clutch is depressed... I don't know how that converts to an auto harness but I don't think it's the same.. There's 2 more wires on a plug that need to be jumped or connected to a switch so they activate..like I said, I'm 99.9% sure they're different from the park ones on an auto...could be wrong though</TD></TR></TABLE>

more help on this and i checked my relay and it is fine, when the main relay is disconnected all my lights come on, i jumped the fuel pump and that works. when i reconnect it the lights go off. arg!
Old 06-20-2006, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If this aftermarket immobilizer has anything to do with the fuel pump control wire, then simply disconnecting the immobilizer probably wouldn't work. You still have to wire the fuel pump control signal back together. Like a VAFC for example and the MAP signal - the MAP wire is cut and the VAFC has an in and out to connect to those freshly cut wires. If you remove the VAFC, you have to make sure to rewire the MAP signal back together again.

And you're saying the CEL doesn't even come on? But when you turn the key ON, the brake light starts to flash?? Are you sure you've got all the grounds hooked up? Valve cover/stearing pump, tranny, thermostat and battery? There is no difference in wiring between an auto and 5-spd with respect to the Main Relay, fuel pump control wire and CEL.

You're using the stock auto harness correct? And you're using a 5-spd ECU?
Old 06-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If this aftermarket immobilizer has anything to do with the fuel pump control wire, then simply disconnecting the immobilizer probably wouldn't work. You still have to wire the fuel pump control signal back together. Like a VAFC for example and the MAP signal - the MAP wire is cut and the VAFC has an in and out to connect to those freshly cut wires. If you remove the VAFC, you have to make sure to rewire the MAP signal back together again.

And you're saying the CEL doesn't even come on? But when you turn the key ON, the brake light starts to flash?? Are you sure you've got all the grounds hooked up? Valve cover/stearing pump, tranny, thermostat and battery? There is no difference in wiring between an auto and 5-spd with respect to the Main Relay, fuel pump control wire and CEL.

You're using the stock auto harness correct? And you're using a 5-spd ECU?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just found out the immobilzer was a plug and play thing. and i removed it and didnt have to rewire anything

When i had the relay disconnected the engine and misc lights came on and i got a voltometer out and figured out the problem is something with the ecu, but even when i use the auto one i did have same thing, so imo it has nothing to do with any of those and a wire is messed up somewhere.

yes i am using the auto harness and i am useg the 5 spd ECU.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am going to try to put the car in neutral and see what happens
Old 06-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im an idiot, when i was placing the starter back in a found a lose wire, it was my damn tranny ground, god im a ******* idiot, at least it runs but now i found out i do have a valve issue. Guess ill take the head to my work(Keng Garff Honda) and see how much it will cost to replace one valve
Old 06-21-2006, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pumpkyn)

It's always the small ****, isn't it?

Sucks to hear about the valve though.