Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

After-marekt HID headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After-marekt HID headlight?

Hello.

I would like to have HID headlight because I can't see anything at the rainy night. All lights are absorbed to asphalt as you guys might have a experience. So I drove my friend's 08 civic SI which has after-market HID low beam. It was great. He paid around $120 for two bulbs and conversion kit at ebay. I knew it couldn't be better than factory ones or bimmer's. What I found is that the price range is too wide from $60 to couple hundreds. What is the different? Can you tell about HID kit or recommand?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:43 AM

Default Re: After-marekt HID headlight?

this should be in the lighting forum.

if you want quality, dont go cheap for those $200 ebay pnp kits. you can get projectors cheap on there too but i'd recommend a retrofit.

i'm doing a tsx projector retrofit w/phillips kit. oem hid's look the best. pnp kits in oem housings cause unwanted glare and blindness and in some states are illegal. do a bunch of research and you'll find what's best for you.

here's a good one: http://www.customlightz.com/
Old 04-30-2009, 12:00 PM

thanks, I was curious too
Old 04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hermtm2
Hello.

I would like to have HID headlight because I can't see anything at the rainy night. All lights are absorbed to asphalt as you guys might have a experience. So I drove my friend's 08 civic SI which has after-market HID low beam. It was great. He paid around $120 for two bulbs and conversion kit at ebay. I knew it couldn't be better than factory ones or bimmer's. What I found is that the price range is too wide from $60 to couple hundreds. What is the different? Can you tell about HID kit or recommand?

Thanks.
I bought this cheap kit from this ebay seller xhidoutlet and the kit is actually pretty good, even though it flickers when car is off it works great once car is off. so if you're looking to save money buy the kit from this guy. and is just like the $300 ones.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

people are going to recommend a retrofit but IMO they're a waste of money. I cant justify spending close to 400$ for a slight increase in lighting. my friend has a Dodge Dakota with the H4H style HID kit he payed 160 for and theyre in OEM headlights. Yeah, theres a glare, but what do you expect? they dont blind you, ive driven by him countless times with a pretty low car, and you can look right into his headlights (dont do that, i dont even know why i did) and youll be fine.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

retrofits are your best bet but they are expensive, my pnp kit is great no cut off and beam pattern isnt great, but they put out just as much light as a retrofit and only cost 130, plus ebay headlights
however i do reccomend retrofit.

runninEg6 pnp kits are illegal in ALL states, but also retro fits arent really legal either.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Retrofits are awesome but expensive. It's illegal to throw HIDs in non-HID housings.

However, I have Oznium FlowLighting 8000k HIDs in my Spring (eBay) reflector headlights.
They produce some glare as expected but I don't really care because I get glare from people with regular headlights from being so low to the ground. Hell, I get glare from behind me in my rear-view mirror. I've never had headlights flashed at me, never had cops bug me, and I have the headlights properly aimed, so I figure that it's not a big deal. I've asked some people I know if my headlights are impairing their visibility and they say that it's not any different in terms of glare than any other car's headlights.

Just don't be stupid...
1. properly aim the headlights
2. use a reasonable brightness HID (8000k or under)
3. buy a reputable brand of HIDs
Old 04-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what is the retropit?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hermtm2
So what is the retropit?
It's when you take the HID projector lens out of the headlight housing of a car that came with HIDs, and then custom fitting that projector lens into your regular headlights, thus converting them to HID-compatible projector headlights.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I run an 8000k HID PnP Kit on my EJ8..yea, not as crisp as a beam as projectors..but not worth the $300 to retrofit..and people have told me they're bright but not obnoxiously blinding.

If my money tree ever sprouts I'll to the retrofit or if I come across a smashed up TSX with its projectors intact, I might think about it..but not worth it in my opinion. People on forums will bitch at you for having HID's in non-HID housings but dude...who gives a ****, its your car. let them bitch.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive had very good luck with these
http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/DD...it-101-60.html
35w kit. its plug and play and lifetime warranty
you can also get them here
http://www.sharphid.com/
you want the Apexcone/DDM Ultra Slim 35w and 55w HID Conversion Kits - Free Lifetime Warranty and Free Shipping*!

i went with 5kw which is a nice white with very slight hint of blue
Old 04-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The first side of HID kit confuses me. They said 35W & 55W kit. Do they give two balasts?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm diggin the slim ballasts.

I got mine from RetroSolutions.

Pretty good quality and with a warranty.