Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!!

I currently have an AEM CAI on my 2000 Civic Si. This was the first mod I got for the car, and kept it on ever since.

Since then I have added several other mods, and now am wondering if the AEM CAI is the best choice for my set up...

First off, heres a list of my current set up...

Again 2000 Civic Si (b16a2)

Skunk2 Stage 1 cams
Skunk2 Cam gears
Skunk2 Valve train

P-28 ECU Skunk2 Chip
Apexi VAFC

Exedy Clutch/ITR Fly wheel.

B&M FPR/Gauge

AEM CAI
JDM DC 4-1 Header
Test pipe
Skunk2 Cat back exhaust

Now I am going back down to yack @ P1 auto for some final tuning in about 2-3 weeks, so I am wondering what i should do about the intake??? First off, the intake is pretty old, and has a slight gash (not all the way through) from where it was rubbing the frame.

Also I have read several threads about how its not all is cracked up to be, and also provides a shitty torque curve????

I would consider a short ram, but then you deal with the heat issues!!! Seems like I can't win here!!!

So I am open for some suggestions and ideas...I will not however, spend 500+ on a damn intake (that to me is insane)

Thanks again for all the help!!!
Old 07-22-2003, 11:58 AM

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (v00tecsi)

comptech icebox!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

get an iceman...they're under 150... and I LOVE mine...

Also you can go short ram or cai with the iceman too...

You could probobly sell your aem for at least half the cost of the new iceman.

Course I also have to say buying ANYTHING twice unless completely neccisary is kinda silly... if it's on there and it works I wouldn't worry about it...

I'm sure it's not hurting anything.

w/o a dyno to check each one you're not going to figure out what intake is the best for your setup.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:02 PM

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (Tetsuwan Atomu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tetsuwan Atomu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">comptech icebox! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Give the Icebox a shot. I've heard great things about it.
I also wonder if using the ITR AEM CAI (3" piping) would make a difference..
Ask Yack what he thinks..
Old 07-22-2003, 12:04 PM

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (00MRSi)

Yeah Vthokie runs the ITR CAI on his Si, and it seems to work for him pretty well...

Whats the deal with the J's racing one (or whatever its called) anyone have info on it??

Thanks for the help fellas!!!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (Tetsuwan Atomu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tetsuwan Atomu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">comptech icebox! </TD></TR></TABLE>

or ITR AEM
Old 07-22-2003, 12:18 PM
Moe

Ice box = mad tyte, the J's piece is very nice, but even for someone as addicted to JDM whoring... its still to pricey for just a short ram. I could care less about the CF constructino too.

I have an icebox, and its a winner. Great build, and very nice piece.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get an iceman...they're under 150... and I LOVE mine...

Also you can go short ram or cai with the iceman too...

You could probobly sell your aem for at least half the cost of the new iceman.

Course I also have to say buying ANYTHING twice unless completely neccisary is kinda silly... if it's on there and it works I wouldn't worry about it...

I'm sure it's not hurting anything.

w/o a dyno to check each one you're not going to figure out what intake is the best for your setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>
where can I get a ICEMAN from? I had it before on my 90si and it was great compared to my old AEM CAI.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:30 PM

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (b.cruz)

i find that itr aem works well
Old 07-22-2003, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (allmtr: now at 95%)

aem itr ownedz
Old 07-22-2003, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (EGkwazhimoto)

why change out the old one
an intake is an intake is an intake

even if you get some 'radical new design' thing, what is the boost in power, 1 - 2 hp max?its not as if you strap on the intake, you are gonna start beating ferraris when you could only beat crustangs before
Old 07-22-2003, 02:24 PM

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (neilff)

After changing out my AEM CAI for a custom icebox, I probably won't go back. The throttle response is much better and the power is the same. IT may even be better. I would either get an icebox or build your own.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:29 PM

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (AzSi22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzSi22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After changing out my AEM CAI for a custom icebox, I probably won't go back. The throttle response is much better and the power is the same. IT may even be better. I would either get an icebox or build your own. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm thinking about replacing my AEM (about 2.5 years old) with the Icebox.
I've heard good things about the J's Racing (***** intake ). Supposedly very good throttle response. Regardless, if you switch to a short-ram setup throttle response will be improved.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (00MRSi)

ITR AEM V2...I have a feeling its even better than the original and will show some nice gains up top.

Not all intakes are created equal.....test them on a dyno and youll see
Old 07-22-2003, 03:02 PM

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (SergEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SergEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not all intakes are created equal.....test them on a dyno and youll see </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's quite right.

I have an Icebox + Comptech's intake arm and I like it a lot. Very happy with it. I like that you can remove the top of the box for some throttle response, or leave it on for some horsepower. Useful for Solo II days.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Devil`s advocate-and I might just get my *** kicked b/c of it...BUT:

When your car is in motion(which should be most of the time, unless of course you live in Los Angeles) there is lots of air moving around inside the engine compartment, its not stagnant in there. Air comes from the bumper, the under car, basically every angle but above.

One would assume it would be better to have a cold air device, as opposed to something inside of the compartment itself because air is better compressed when its cold and not hot, but in reality air travels best (faster) in straight lines, not at 90 degree angles, right?

So in the debate over a "Cold air" intake vs. "Short ram," would it also be safe to assume that just a damn good filter element and a tube with one bend at the TB be a better trade off?

I can`t recall seeing any dyno charts(Not that they don`t exist, just that I haven't seen them) that actually show considerable power gains over the other...particularly when we`re dealing with a street driven car and not a circuit car or full race motor.

Sorry for throwing in the monkey wrench

I`ve run them both and I can`t claim anything more than just an increase or decrease in engine compartment noise...maybe just a lil something in the throttle, but nothing that will throw me back in my seat...
Old 07-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (neilff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neilff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why change out the old one
an intake is an intake is an intake

even if you get some 'radical new design' thing, what is the boost in power, 1 - 2 hp max?its not as if you strap on the intake, you are gonna start beating ferraris when you could only beat crustangs before</TD></TR></TABLE>

Save your money.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:42 PM

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (sinister)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinister &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Devil`s advocate-and I might just get my *** kicked b/c of it...BUT:

When your car is in motion(which should be most of the time, unless of course you live in Los Angeles) there is lots of air moving around inside the engine compartment, its not stagnant in there. Air comes from the bumper, the under car, basically every angle but above.

One would assume it would be better to have a cold air device, as opposed to something inside of the compartment itself because air is better compressed when its cold and not hot, but in reality air travels best (faster) in straight lines, not at 90 degree angles, right?

So in the debate over a "Cold air" intake vs. "Short ram," would it also be safe to assume that just a damn good filter element and a tube with one bend at the TB be a better trade off?

I can`t recall seeing any dyno charts(Not that they don`t exist, just that I haven't seen them) that actually show considerable power gains over the other...particularly when we`re dealing with a street driven car and not a circuit car or full race motor.

Sorry for throwing in the monkey wrench

I`ve run them both and I can`t claim anything more than just an increase or decrease in engine compartment noise...maybe just a lil something in the throttle, but nothing that will throw me back in my seat...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I agree, but no one really ever dynos their car with the hood down!!! HAving the hood down, and a fan blowing on the bumper would be the most acurate test, but no ne has done it to my knowledge.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:43 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (eg cookiemonster)

j's racing or comptech icebox
Old 07-22-2003, 09:50 PM

i'd say just keep the intake and put the money elsewere.. for like porting your head or slapping in some pistons to higher your compression.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:51 PM

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (allmtrSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmtrSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd say just keep the intake and put the money elsewere.. for like porting your head or slapping in some pistons to higher your compression.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, because both of those options cost $200

And a CAI will always give more power than a short ram. Sure there is air moving around inside the engine bay, but it's hotter than the air moving around by the bottom of the bumper.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:12 AM

Default Re: After ~$2k Back to square One...Intake advise Please!!! (allmtrSI)

The reason why I went with only stage 1 cams is because I will not put anything else in the motor internally. This is my daily driver, and what I did already is as far as I will go. I plan to most likely remove all the parts when I sell the car, so anything else would make it very difficult and cost me time and money.

To be honest, after I go get some more tuning, I am going to be pretty much done with modding the car. I am just going to enjoy the mods, and the power until I sell the car....

Thats why I am strongly considering a new intake...It'll be one of the last mods to help really get all I can get out of this setup. I also am still concerned about the hydrolock risk of the CAI (I have been through some pretty rough rain storms, and nothing yet "knock on wood" but It still worries me) To blow a motor because it was raining out would just **** me off!!!
Old 07-23-2003, 10:09 AM

looks like you're just looking for an excuse to buy a new intake.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:36 AM

Well just last week I replaced my AEM CAI V1 with the Comptech SRI/Ice Box combo, and let me tell you that I now enjoy driving around in VTEC at WOT. Don't get me wrong, my B16 isn't quiet, but its definately more stealth. In terms of performance I've lost the inherent 4K RPM torque spike, but its seems as though the car now pulls slightly harder past 6K RPM then with the AEM CAI.

And for all of you guys out there who think I wasted some of my hard earned cash, let me tell you that this combo did the one thing I was really hoping it would do; quiet down my car during WOT VTEC.