Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Affordable Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Affordable Swap

I'm sick of my slow *** DX Engine and I want to have a swap soon. What's the best swap that I can get with a limited budget? Can you give me a break down of the cost for me to get to complete my swap considering I have no Vtec wiring etc. Lastly, how much did your swap cost? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Affordable Swap (eg_ko_2)

get a d16z6 swap...
its about 300-400 and you'll have vtec
ls swap is about 800-1000 and no vtec...
zc swap is about 300-400 as well and no vtec
thats about the cheapest you'll get and you'll be faster than your d15
Old 05-05-2003, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A recent HX to EX swap totaled just under 800 dollars in parts.

If you aren't doing the labor yourself, your paying someone $1000 to do it.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Affordable Swap (pennies_hatchie)

EDIT: it makes a big difference if YOU can do it, or if youll be paying someone else to do it. You should also elaborate on what your looking to get from your car. If you just want a little boost, get a SOHC VTEC, if you can do it yourself, and want a real kick, get a Bseries. Really up to u, just have fun!
Old 05-05-2003, 03:11 PM

Despite what Pennies_hatchie says, (ZC not VTEC), he's wrong. The 92-95 JDM ZC motor is a sohc VTEC motor. I recently dropped one into my 95 CX Hatch to replace my D15B7(which was surprisingly quick i might add, but not fast enough for my needs). I ordered my ZC VTEC engine from JSpecAuto.com in Montreal Canada, and they were truely excellent. I recieved a very nice looking full engine, tranny and ecu(they accidently sent me an ECU for an auto tranny, but they happily exchanged it). The whole thing was 699 plus 300 for shipping and install cost me NOTHING since it's a direct swap to a 95. My dad and I performed the swap in about 7 hours! (The swap doesn't come with axles or extras listed in other swaps, but that doesn't matter because you don't need that stuff for this swap).
I'm in the same boat as you were. I love drag racing and the D15 just didn't have the potential, however, the ZC VTEC is UNREAL. It starts to scream at around 3700 and just roars all the way to 7200. I'd highly recommend this swap for your civic if you're on a budget like i am.
I wouldn't recommend a ZC DOHC cuz VTEC is much more fun. If you do have the money, get a B series, but not all of us have the freedom to spend thousands of mommy and daddies money on our cars. Whatever swap you go with, you'll have a blast. Enjoy!
Old 05-05-2003, 03:14 PM

Oh dude i forgot to add; obviously the JDM harness is backwards, so all you have to do is take the harness off your DX, swap it onto the vtec engine, and add 3 wires into the pins into the ECU that comes with it. A4 is one of them and I can't think of the other one right now. D6 maybe. One other wire goes to a ground and you have VTEC using your DX harness!
Old 05-05-2003, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Affordable Swap

EBAY D-series vtec go for about $400-700
Old 05-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Affordable Swap (Neptune)

i was talking about used...(not from shops)
ive seen some go for that much...
just my .02 cents on it
Old 05-05-2003, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Affordable Swap (95JDMZC)

Hey 95JDMZC thanks for sharing your story. I'm really excited about getting my swap. I think i'll go the same route you took. I'm just a newbie when it comes to swaps so I guess I'll go and try learn more bout the basics. Regarding doing it myself, that would be impossible I'd say. How much do you think shops would charge for full installation?
Old 05-05-2003, 03:45 PM

I really can't see a reputable shop charging you TOO much. Probably a few hundred bucks. If you can, make sure they're well educated in the civic's wiring ways. I'd hate to see you drive away with a new engine and not have the VTEC wired because they guy didn't have the proper know how or tools to wire it for you. (All you need is a few connectors from another harness, it's actually pretty easy now that i've seen it done once).
If you really want the peace of mind from having a shop do it, and you want to pay for it, then you really can't go wrong with that. As I mentioned before, the swap took my father and I around 7 hours, and definitely would not call ourselves mechanics(although we do have a bit of know I suppose). Another good bet for you would be if you know someone who's maybe done a private swap, or a friend thru a friend who's done a swap. It'd probably be cheaper than a shop(not always tho, make sure you don't get hosed), and if they have prior experience, they should have no trouble with it.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hear you alright. I'll canvass from shop to shop starting now. But thanks for the input. It's been a great help.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you do your homework!!! All these swaps are very simple in the most basic terms of getting it all bolted together, but make sure you know all the little bits and pieces you will need and make sure you have someone who can help you troubleshoot. I did the HX to EX swap like Spade mentioned.

I bought:

99 EX d16y8 for about $300, but it was from an auto.
93 Si Tranny, axles, clutch, shift linkage & short shifter $250
Y8 IM & TB for 5 spd $150
Changing 5 wire o2 to 4 wire, homie hook up
Wiring Knock sensor $35
ECU for 98 EX 5 spd $40

Total $775

Labor on drop in - Free, thanks again to the homies on HT.
However, still need a 98 EX distributer $150, EX cat $??? and Exhaust manifold or a dc header $300 new $150 used.

And in the meantime i'm still running the HX exhaust manifold, intake manifold and dist. My car runs okay half the time, and like crap the other half, idle is bad and i get the o2 code every now and then. I know the ex dist will fix alot, and so will the manifold, but until then... Now i have an offer to pick up a b16 cheap...i think i might...
Old 05-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95JDMZC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you do have the money, get a B series, but not all of us have the freedom to spend thousands of mommy and daddies money on our cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sorry, I found this offensive. I have worked full time during summers since I was 12 and finally bought a swapped car 2 weeks ago. I think 95% of the people here don't have "mommy and daddy" supporting them either, but many can afford B-Series swaps. Maybe you just need to get off your ***, get a decent job, and quit complaining about how poor you are.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Affordable Swap (JMU1337)

Hey dipshit, who you callin lazy? I'm a 2nd year university student. We don't have a lot of money unless we come from wealthy families. FYI, I too work 2 jobs in the summer for an oil change center and a nationwide chain restaurant as a line cook. Average out to 60 hours, 7 days a week. No days off, so **** you! I'm not poor either moron, I come from a middle class family where I bought MY car, and have paid for EVERYTHING on it, not to mention paying half of my tuition(my parents have brains, and started a college funds for me early, unlike your parents who must be brainless since they spawned YOU). Go suck a fatty you wanna be. You bought a swapped car? Oh whooptie do. Go out and do a swap yourself you *****.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Affordable Swap (JMU1337)

For the record, I wasn't talking about EVERYBODY. 95 percent of all of us do pay for everything on our cars. I was simply making a comparison to the kind of clowns who live near me and claim to be "import guys". I live (near, not IN) a quite wealthy area, where there's a ton of little punks in civics who go out and buy a car with dad's money, go slap a stupid looking wing and exhaust on it and think they have a race car. Drives me insane because they all want to street race, but won't put up and shut up when i laugh at them and say meet me at the race track and see what a real import racer can do. I'm not out here to offend people, we're a community here. A love for cars is what we all have in common. Just don't shoot your mouth next time until you know the full story behind someone.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:19 PM
i

aaaaanyway.....

im curious about this too, cause i also have a 96 (Lx) and was thinkin about doin a swap sometime in the summer. wheres a good place to get an engine? and also, whats a good DOHC engine to get? (and roughly how much would it cost..?) i was thinkin about throwin in a supercharger (much later of course) any suggestions on what kinda engine i should get that would do best with a supercharger instead of a turbo?
Old 05-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Affordable Swap (i)

good places to get engines:

http://www.importautosalvage.com
http://www.hmotorsonline.com
http://www.passwordjdm.com

good DOHC engine swaps: in no particular order

B18C
B18C5
B16A
H22A

it all depends how deep is your pocket and what you want out of the car.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Affordable Swap (sleeperciv)

all good places i agree.

However.......
Best Place to get engines:

http://www.jspecauto.com
Old 05-05-2003, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b18b is DOHC and affordable.

It has potential.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95JDMZC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Despite what Pennies_hatchie says, (ZC not VTEC), he's wrong. The 92-95 JDM ZC motor is a sohc VTEC motor. I recently dropped one into my 95 CX Hatch to replace my D15B7(which was surprisingly quick i might add, but not fast enough for my needs). I ordered my ZC VTEC engine from JSpecAuto.com in Montreal Canada, and they were truely excellent. I recieved a very nice looking full engine, tranny and ecu(they accidently sent me an ECU for an auto tranny, but they happily exchanged it). The whole thing was 699 plus 300 for shipping and install cost me NOTHING since it's a direct swap to a 95. My dad and I performed the swap in about 7 hours! (The swap doesn't come with axles or extras listed in other swaps, but that doesn't matter because you don't need that stuff for this swap).
I'm in the same boat as you were. I love drag racing and the D15 just didn't have the potential, however, the ZC VTEC is UNREAL. It starts to scream at around 3700 and just roars all the way to 7200. I'd highly recommend this swap for your civic if you're on a budget like i am.
I wouldn't recommend a ZC DOHC cuz VTEC is much more fun. If you do have the money, get a B series, but not all of us have the freedom to spend thousands of mommy and daddies money on our cars. Whatever swap you go with, you'll have a blast. Enjoy!</TD></TR></TABLE>

What is the engine code on this motor? I live very close to montreal and I may be intrested in picking one up. Thanks for the help man!
Old 05-05-2003, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Affordable Swap (tolowhb)

bump
Old 05-05-2003, 08:03 PM

"but not all of us have the freedom to spend thousands of mommy and daddies money on our cars. Whatever swap you go with, you'll have a blast. Enjoy!"

yea um...um i am almost 19 and have worked two jobs for the past couple years and bust my *** woking.. i do landscaping and i cook. 40hr a week at both jobs.. i just bought a lil green 94 hatch and i just paid for a jdm itr motor from passwordjdm.com.... no help from parents here... i live on my own too.stop crying *****.. your just mad cause your going to college and have to pay hella for it.. while people like myself cant sit through another day of school.So decide to try and make it on our own and waste every paycheck on my car.

Old 05-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Affordable Swap (95integragsr1984)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95integragsr1984 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"but not all of us have the freedom to spend thousands of mommy and daddies money on our cars. Whatever swap you go with, you'll have a blast. Enjoy!"

yea um...um i am almost 19 and have worked two jobs for the past couple years and bust my *** woking.. i do landscaping and i cook. 40hr a week at both jobs.. i just bought a lil green 94 hatch and i just paid for a jdm itr motor from passwordjdm.com.... no help from parents here... i live on my own too.stop crying *****.. your just mad cause your going to college and have to pay hella for it.. while people like myself cant sit through another day of school.So decide to try and make it on our own and waste every paycheck on my car.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

representin' seattle. you know how we do

(cept i go to college and work full time)
Old 05-06-2003, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Affordable Swap (prendi)

BUMP
Old 05-06-2003, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why the hell did you bump this thread?

Quick Reply: Affordable Swap