Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

AEM intake parts??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM intake parts??

Can somebody please help me get the right parts for this intake pipe im going to get. I need to know what filter I need, and what size rubber mount and hose clamp I need. Thanks

Old 05-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: AEM intake parts??

Easy as pie sonny boy.
Go to an auto parts store and go to the after market intake section. They sell the rubber that connects it to your intake mani. there are only two sizes i think so just get the one that looks close. It is just rubber and hose clamps so any one close will do. Also pick up a K&N cone filter. it's about 40$ It will bolt on the end and is still to this day the standard for filters. It is washable with the garden hose. and works great. "DO NOT buy a crappy filter" they have been known to fall apart and get sucked in the intake mani. i would plug up that quater sized hole unless you have a o2 sensor going in there - there should be a rubber gromit there , and the little straw sticking out the side is where the breather hose connects to the top of the valve cover.
You can eyeball the hose clamp sizes. Get some that are at least 4"ers.

Look at mine here:

Note i have no sensor and my straw tube is plugged. I use the other hole for the breather.

What ever works for you though.

Last edited by courtney42; 05-19-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by courtney42
Easy as pie sonny boy.
Go to an auto parts store and go to the after market intake section. They sell the rubber that connects it to your intake mani. there are only two sizes i think so just get the one that looks close. It is just rubber and hose clamps so any one close will do. Also pick up a K&N cone filter. it's about 40$ It will bolt on the end and is still to this day the standard for filters. It is washable with the garden hose. and works great. "DO NOT buy a crappy filter" they have been known to fall apart and get sucked in the intake mani. i would plug up that quater sized hole unless you have a o2 sensor going in there , and the little straw sticking out the side is where the breather hose connects to the top of the valve cover.
You can eyeball the hose clamp sizes. Get some that are at least 4"ers.
Wow, that's a lot of information. I have a couple of questions:
1.)so a K&N filter is better than an AEM filter?
2.)I'm not gonna put an o2 sensor in that hole, so what should I use to fill it?
3.)what about the other little hole, what goes there? or should I just plug it up?
4.)do I need to connect the breather hose to that straw and if so, where can i get the hose
Old 05-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. K&N is one of the best. The AEM one is ok to. i have the aem one and they say that you dont need to oil it after cleaning it. You have to oil the K&N but you can get a cleaning kit for it that has the cleaner and the oil. no biggie.

2.i dont know what car you have but basicly you have to plug any hoses that were going to your stock intake up to this new one. If all you have is a breather hose like mine then thats all you have to hook up. Some cars have more sensors and things. I have a del sol and it is the same as a civic i believe. any extra holes should be plugged like mine.

Auto parts stores carry rubber gromits and rubber plugs. they are cheap. when all else fails use duck tape.

3. see answer to question 2

4. you can conect it to any hole you want. mine fit best the way i did it. look at your old intake and figure it out.
What kind of car is this on?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by courtney42
What kind of car is this on?
97 Civic EX
Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 AM

on my del sol i have a filter on the valve cover and then the one on the arm/ram wtf ever its called. heres a pic
i also kept the bottom of the oem air filter box for the end of the tube to sit in. and the straw is still there because it is connected to something else and i dont want to **** with it.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2009, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by nateb22
on my del sol i have a filter on the valve cover and then the one on the arm/ram wtf ever its called. heres a pic
i also kept the bottom of the oem air filter box for the end of the tube to sit in. and the straw is still there because it is connected to something else and i dont want to **** with it.
Why do you have filters on the valve cover and the arm/ram? Is that necessary?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by 96CIVICEX
i have no idea, i bought it like that. i guess the guy who previously owned it thought it was supposed to go that way, but w/e, it runs great.

Last edited by nateb22; 05-20-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by nateb22
i have no idea, i bought it like that. i guess the guy who oowned it thought it was supposed to go that way, but w/e, it runs great.
Oh, Ok
Old 05-20-2009, 07:54 AM

should i do something different with it? and the hose going from the bottom of the throttle to the back side of the valve cover, can i just get rid of the plastic piece and have one hose goint from point a to b
Old 05-20-2009, 08:02 AM

heres a pic of what im talkin about.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

courtney, where's your oil dipstick? I don't see it.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your talking about removing the peice of metal that has two tubes like welded together and just run 1 straight hose the answer is yes thats how i run mine to get rid of that big ugly thing the metal peice is pointless and wether or not you wanna run the tube from the valve cover to the intake or just run a breather off the valve cover is also up to you it just relives pressure from the head eathier way is fine.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91blackEF
if your talking about removing the peice of metal that has two tubes like welded together and just run 1 straight hose the answer is yes thats how i run mine to get rid of that big ugly thing the metal peice is pointless and wether or not you wanna run the tube from the valve cover to the intake or just run a breather off the valve cover is also up to you it just relives pressure from the head eathier way is fine.
Above you can see those two metal tubes on mine. Yes you can replace those with rubber tubes and call it clean. I think it looks better without those metal tubes too. A to B is all you need. I am waiting till i can find some nice colored hose to replace my metal tubes.

That dude who has the two mini filters - "i know you didn't do it but" that is just dumb. lol the previous owner should have just pluged up the hole on the intake tube. What a waste of 5$ that extra filter was. lol

My dipstick ? Oh it is there look close. lol , the triangle top rubber piece is missing. I will get a new one one day.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CIVICEX
Not necessary, a lot of the older hot rod guys used to do this. I would just use a hose across like the engine came from the factory.