Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ADVISE: SALVAGE TITLE...Are these smart buys?

Old 05-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADVISE: SALVAGE TITLE...Are these smart buys?

My 94 Si was recently totaled and I am looking for yet another. Still want an Si (EG). There are a FEW out there, some with "salvage" titles. Are these worth looking into? I would think theft salvage would be OK. Please advise. (By the way, anyone selling an Eg Si )
Old 05-08-2006, 09:32 PM

Default Re: ADVISE: SALVAGE TITLE...Are these smart buys? (Marz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My 94 Si was recently totaled and I am looking for yet another. Still want an Si (EG). There are a FEW out there, some with "salvage" titles. Are these worth looking into? I would think theft salvage would be OK. Please advise. (By the way, anyone selling an Eg Si )</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would think that theft salvage title is pretty bad too. You can't know for sure exactly what was taken out of the car , unless they have some report or list of some sort for you to look at. I usually stay away from salvage title cars when I buy, but thats just me.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ADVISE: SALVAGE TITLE...Are these smart buys? (ej8civic)

Usually salvage title cars have major problems. When you buy the car they may not be present but they will pop up and give you a headache. Unless you plan on ripping the car apart to make it a race car or just doing a ground up restoration, I say stay away from salvage title cars.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ADVISE: SALVAGE TITLE...Are these smart buys? (SOHC4life 96)

I wouldnt recommend buying a salvage car unless it was a Type R. No point in having something everyone else has that's title declares it aint ****.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man hell no i just bought a si for 2700 and man i pay like 600 to get my tags i say no not worth it bro salvage title sucks in cali if u do be ready to take lots of test and have your reciep
Old 05-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say its ok if you kept your totalled Si, and then bought a theft recovered, that wouldn't be bad, cause you have the title to the totaled, and can then just swap your good parts over. Other than that, if its salvaged because it was hit, id wouldn't go near it
Old 05-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ADVISE: SALVAGE TITLE...Are these smart buys? (turboek1)

I own a Salvage Title car and here is a small list of issues I had with it (I got a new car now but this was a bitch). I noticed that the front of the car was vibrating alot when I drove it home from New Jersey (where I bough it). I get to shop in my sig and start taking off the bumper and realize the whole lower cross member (the lower piece the radiator sits on) was not welded to the rest of the chassis...I don't know how I missed that. I had that rewelded properly. The whole car vibrates like a propjet aircraft. Amazingly the chassis is straight but the front headlight assembly is missing the mountpoint that the corner light bolts to.

You get the idea...little things....and some major things. MAKE SURE YOU GO OVER THE CAR WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB. Check for paint overspray....check for bolts having scratch marks on the (front 1/4 panels among other things). Check the engine vin BEFORE you buy for legality and get UNDER the car and look at all moving parts. Check anything electrical in the car (make sure the CEL light works by jumping it to make it blink)...make sure the radio/dash/ac lights all work. I'm done...heh
Old 05-09-2006, 02:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's okay, as long as u really look it over to make sure it's good..

Sometimes they can give u bad problems if u don't thoroughly check it out, like I had a problem with a jetta w/ a salvage title (was rear ended) becuase it had a fuel evap prob, kept dumping money into it (o2 sensors, new gas cap, **** like that) - turned out to be the charcoal canister - it was crusehd and never replaced from the accident , never even thought about that...it's usually just stupid **** like that, but like, u g2 watch out for frame damage and such..any frame damage and it was probably hit too hard for u 2 want...

long and short:
u really have to go over it carefully, they can be a REALLY good buy because of their lowered value, or they can be a HORRIBLE buy if it bites you in the ***
Old 05-09-2006, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there's a couple of reasons why people don't like to buy SALVAGED title cars...but in my opinion...i'll buy salvage..

my whole family have Salvaged title cars (7 total)...it's just that u have to look over everything...i would really suggest that u have someone (that knows about body work) check out the car w/ u.

i guess my point is...if the car has low miles and checks out good..then go for it
Old 05-09-2006, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ADVISE: SALVAGE TITLE...Are these smart buys? (jdmboi86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmboi86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man hell no i just bought a si for 2700 and man i pay like 600 to get my tags i say no not worth it bro salvage title sucks in cali if u do be ready to take lots of test and have your reciep</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn did u even check to see if the car had penalties?? back registration?? tickets?? cuz i really doubt the tax should be that high
Old 05-09-2006, 05:22 AM
B A N N E D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ADVISE: SALVAGE TITLE...Are these smart buys? (killa rex)

I'd get it. I have 2 now that I bought with salvage certificates, so atleast I'll know what is going into them.
If you know how to work on it, get it. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
B
Old 05-09-2006, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It all depends on the extent of the damage. A car is deemed totaled by a percentage that the issurance company has that if taht percentage is greater then the value of the car then they total it. so if you have a super rare windsheild that cost 1000 and your car is worth 1200, if that windsheild is damaged then they total the car. just drive it, drive it, drive it, and do alot of research.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohcvtec1995)

just depends on the damage ..mines is a salvage while i had it becuase the insurance company really didnt want to fix a 93 honda civic dx

all i have a is a small ding in the quarter panel not even alot to fix
Old 05-09-2006, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (dewoine)

my brother got a salvaged teggy about 2 years and it ran perfectly.........untill it got broken into then his number one piston ring broke so his motor lost compression and wouldnt run. haha. my opinion, salvage cars would be cheaper, its all up to you if you know what will happen and prepare your money for some rebuild or replacing of parts.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dillywong)

I know someone on here looking to sell one. It's got a clean title and low miles. (in black too!)

*shuffling papers in background*

I can't find his name but I can get it to you....