Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Advise; purchasing head gasket parts

Old 11-05-2004, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise; purchasing head gasket parts

Well, I am going to attempt my first head gasket change on my Civic 96 D16Y8. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement.

I am looking to purchase all my parts OEM from hondaautomotiveparts.com. I am open to buying from others.

I plan to purchase a head gasket, intake and exhaust manifold, and head bolts.

Is there anything I have missed? Do I have to purchase head bolts? I don’t see why I can’t reuse the old.

Last, do I use gasket sealant on the intake and exhaust manifold? I was told not to use sealant on the head gasket.

Thanks all Good Karma to you.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ariel, buy an OEM head gasket, sealant/copper spray is not neeeded, but i used it anyways. many people on HT recommend it.

buy ARP head studs (don't reuse old ones beacuse used ones are streched and weakened) i did reuse old studs before, but its NOT recommended. you dont want to replace a new HG because your old studs broke. its not worth the effort. just by new or ARP.

dont bother with the exhaust gasket the old one is usually fine, i have never replaced one in my life.

and if your budget allows, get a hondata or similar intake manifold gasket.

when i changed my D series HG, i didnt remove the intake manifold. if you do, replace the gasket. make sure you have a sharp scraper to remove the old gasket bits, but DO NOT SCRATCH OR NICK THE METAL.

BTW you do need a torque wrench, and a haynes manual or similar shop manual would be very helpful

Modified by Turbo E 604 at 9:37 AM 11/5/2004
Old 11-05-2004, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Advise; purchasing head gasket parts

Thanks

I will order parts Monday. This weekend I will disassemble the head. I had planned to take off the intake manifold so I can send in the head for inspection. Can I send the head in for inspection with the intake manifold on? Actually, I was wondering how to get the intake off while still in the car. You saved me there.

I will pick up a sealant/copper spray for the head like you mentioned from Autozone. You just saved me $9.08 from not buying an exhaust manifold. Do I use it on the exhaust and intake gaskets too?

The ARP head bolts are $110 for all ten. The OEM are $20 total for all ten. That is a huge difference. Is it really an advantage to buy ARP? If I have a head problem in the future, can I reuse the ARP? I use the car for commuting to work only. Why would someone pay the $110? Is it because head bolts break? Please, I am not being disrespectful, just want to be educated.

My questions;
Can I send the head in with the intake manifold on?
Do I use copper sealant spray on the exhaust and intake gaskets too?
Is it really an advantage to buy ARP?

I am that much closer and much wiser now. Thank you.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Advise; purchasing head gasket parts (arielb1)

If its a daily driver, I'd just get the oem head bolts.

I reuse head bolts all the time and I've never had a problem, but it is recommended.

If you're sending your head off, definitely remove the intake manifold and get a new gasket for it.
I'd also suggest reusing your stock exhaust gasket.

You dont even have to use the copper spray on the exhaust gasket, but alot of people do.
When replacing the intake manifold gasket, just clean both the head and the IM real good before putting the new gasket on. Dont use any spray or sealer.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Advise; purchasing head gasket parts (Slopoke)

Thanks Slopoke and Turbo.

That is it! I am ready for this...I think! I really have alot of respect for the people here always willing to help out. I plan to return the favor.

I am very confident I can do this.

Last remaining questions;

1.) Should I drain the oil out of the car? I just did an oil change, I'd hate to waste the oil.

2.) My BIGGEST concern. I understand the distributor has to come off, and it goes on the same exact way (one way only). Do I have to calibrate the distributor once it is back on the engine? Will I need a timing gun? Will it help to mark up the distributor so that is in the exact same place?

Thanks all, I will give you a heads up on Monday on how the disassembly goes. I will order parts Monday from Hondaautomotiveparts.com. More importantly, I will do an extensive write up on this proceedure.

Regards.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

buy a helms manule also.

Its not hard to replace a HG but you should defently have the manule to make sure you do everything right
Old 11-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arielb1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks Slopoke and Turbo.

That is it! I am ready for this...I think! I really have alot of respect for the people here always willing to help out. I plan to return the favor.

I am very confident I can do this.

1.) Should I drain the oil out of the car? I just did an oil change, I'd hate to waste the oil.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes drain it, do the coolant too.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
2.) My BIGGEST concern. I understand the distributor has to come off, and it goes on the same exact way (one way only). Do I have to calibrate the distributor once it is back on the engine? Will I need a timing gun? Will it help to mark up the distributor so that is in the exact same place?</TD></TR></TABLE>

when you line the crankshaft and cams up to TOP DEAD CENTER, just be sure you line it all up again before re assembly. the distributor only goes on 1 way and the cam is aligned by looking at the cam gear. there is an arrow that says UP and well, points up

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Thanks all, I will give you a heads up on Monday on how the disassembly goes. I
will order parts Monday from Hondaautomotiveparts.com. More importantly, I will do an extensive write up on this proceedure.

Regards.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good luck
Old 11-05-2004, 12:24 PM

Plan on doing a oil change and a coolant flush while your at it. So make sure you have everything for that and have a big pan for it all to drip into.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck my friend and PLEASE let us know how it went. I do plan to attempt to change my own head gasket and timing belt in the near distant future. Thank you everyone for not only helping this guy but me as well. ALOHA!
Old 11-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Knocturnal)

Good luck. I will be doing something similar in a few weeks, but i am replacing the head with a different one.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chowmien)

A big for Majestic Honda (www.hondaautomotiveparts.com). Ordered my gaskets (head, throttle body, intake manifold, exhaust manifold and valve cover gaskets) on the morning of November 2nd and although I never received any info that it was shipped, I received the package today the 5th.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arielb1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

2.) My BIGGEST concern. I understand the distributor has to come off, and it goes on the same exact way (one way only). Do I have to calibrate the distributor once it is back on the engine? Will I need a timing gun? Will it help to mark up the distributor so that is in the exact same place?
.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. You dont have to change the oil. I didnt, the last time I changed a head gasket. You will need to drain the coolant, though.

2. Not a big deal. Before you remove your distributor, get a marker and mark where the distributor is. So when you reinstall it, you know exactly where it was before.
A bigger deal that ignition timing is is cam timing.
When reinstalling the timing belt, make sure the crank and cam are lined up properly.

Good luck