Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

advice, wanting to build quick, reliable eg/ek daily driver

Old 04-02-2003, 10:55 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice, wanting to build quick, reliable eg/ek daily driver

Hi

A few weeks ago I crashed my 90 crx that i've been building for 2 years. Amazingly, im not at all hurt, and the guy who caused the wreck has decent insurance. So, im looking to build a new car. I have always been drawn towards the eg and ek hatches, so I plan on purchasing one with the settlement money. This is my question:

I wish to build my car not only to be quick, but comfortable and reliable as well (don't we all) I would like to have a/c, a smooth comfortable ride (albeit, modified suspension) and a strong, reliable motor that will withstand occasional 9 hour road trips. This doesn't seem like its going to be too hard, but im wondering what the best combo is for my purposes. IE, eg hatch w/ an stock LS motor, EK w/ B16 etc.

I am prepared to spend a decent amount of money, but I want to know what, and possibly where to buy what I need. I have shopped, both online and otherwise, for motors before - but I really want to make sure and buy the most "stock-like" setup I can get, rather than some burnt out pos from a unreputable dealer. Like I said, I must have A/C (I live and deliver pizzas in new orleans, LA and I wouldnt mind having power steering. To make things even more difficult, I want upgraded handling, but absolutely must have a good ride, the streets in garden district new orleans are unbelievably rediculous. Its not even a matter of comfort, its a matter of the streets destroying a bouncy, crappy riding vehicle.

SO, techmasters: what do you think? Keep in mind, im not asking how to run the fastest quarter mile or slalom, I just want a quick, reliable, and fun EK (im leaning more towards ek than eg) hatch. I think i've found a clean 97 DX, and the price is right. What should my plan of attack be?
Old 04-02-2003, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: advice, wanting to build quick, reliable eg/ek daily driver (DJ:A)

obd2 gsr swap
probably your best bet.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:47 PM
TSPeed Factory

i think b16 with bolt ons and minor tuning would be what you're looking for
Old 04-03-2003, 04:59 AM

Default Re: advice, wanting to build quick, reliable eg/ek daily driver (delvtecsol)

obd2 gsr swap
probably your best bet.
gsr in eg with bolt ons!

I have a jdm gsr w/optional lsd. I have I/E and I run a 2.252 60ft(bald ex tires) 14.07 @99.6 mph. Best mph =100.89

I drive back home (100mile round trip) a lot to surf. (Couple times a week) Great Daily driver.

[Modified by mattcxb18, 9:04 AM 4/3/2003]
Old 04-03-2003, 07:31 AM
New User

Default Re: advice, wanting to build quick, reliable eg/ek daily driver (mattcxb18)

cool, thats exactly what I would want to do with it (including using it to deliver pizzas) Any reason why you guys suggest an eg over an ek? I've been leaning towards an EK just because I wanted to get as new of a car as I could afford (after a 90 rickity crx) and because they seem to be less commen than eg's. I like them both, but the EK seems more spacious (I have to haul DJ Equipment and other items on a semi-regular basis) and the EG seems to be a bit smaller, which makes me think it may ride a bit rougher than an EK would. Any truth to this?

So, how much should I be prepared to spend? What sort of tuning would be good for a daily driver B18C1?

thanx
Old 04-03-2003, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with a b16 personally, but GSR swap is great to!
Old 04-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: advice, wanting to build quick, reliable eg/ek daily driver (UpstateCivic)

GSR in EK =
too bad I cant afford a GSR
Old 04-04-2003, 05:00 AM

Default Re: advice, wanting to build quick, reliable eg/ek daily driver (ITRacer121)

eg is great becuase it is lighter and cheaper! not a si, try and find a cx or vx
Old 04-04-2003, 01:26 PM
New User

Default Re: advice, wanting to build quick, reliable eg/ek daily driver (mattcxb18)

I know eg is lighter and cheaper, but im concerned about the ride quality. Because the eg chassis is smaller (lighter) it seems like it would be less capable to handle the awful new orleans streets (anybody who lives here knows what I mean)

am I wrong? I was only planning on using tein or JIC one piece coils, would the Ek not be a more comfortable ride?
Old 04-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, no you are not wrong, just not specific.
You can get a 92-95 Si hatch an dthat will weigh a few hundred pounds more, offer sound deadening and have a little more creature comfort.
You can also get a 96+ hatch that will weigh about as much as the 92-95 Si but will have less goodies and sound deadening.
Thinking either one or even a 92 CX gutted will not be able to "handle" the streets potential abuse from potholes and **** roads is silly to me, you can beef up the suspension pieces on either car to ITR/CTR units and swap out bushings as well, and choose a suspension that is more capable of handling rough terrain than the stock setup or some common susp. choices...

hell, I'd even rock a CRX HF on crap roads since the handling otherwise is incredible.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think a decent power maker with reliability is: GSR motor, ITR pistons, CTR cams, bolt ons.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:37 PM

Default Re: advice, wanting to build quick, reliable eg/ek daily driver (rodrez)

I think a decent power maker with reliability is: GSR motor, ITR pistons, CTR cams, bolt ons.
Why that combo? What kinda power to the wheels does that make?(ball park) I thought that itr pistons didn't make that high of comp. Don't B16 pistons make a little higher comp. and are cheaper?
Old 04-04-2003, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why that combo? What kinda power to the wheels does that make?(ball park) I thought that itr pistons didn't make that high of comp. Don't B16 pistons make a little higher comp. and are cheaper?
It was just an example. I put mine together cheap. 180hp, 128tq w/bolt ons and stock civic cat. B16 pistons do have a higher comp than ITR's in a GSR block I believe, but I got them super cheap brand new, so I can't complain.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:24 PM
New User

Default Re: advice, wanting to build quick, reliable eg/ek daily driver (owen_the_soyboy)

<You can get a 92-95 Si hatch an dthat will weigh a few hundred pounds more, offer sound deadening and have a little more creature comfort.
You can also get a 96+ hatch that will weigh about as much as the 92-95 Si but will have less goodies and sound deadening.
Thinking either one or even a 92 CX gutted will not be able to "handle" the streets potential abuse from potholes and **** roads is silly to me, you can beef up the suspension pieces on either car to ITR/CTR units and swap out bushings as well, and choose a suspension that is more capable of handling rough terrain than the stock setup or some common susp. choices...

hell, I'd even rock a CRX HF on crap roads since the handling otherwise is incredible.>

Cool, somebody is finally making some sense. I know it seems strange to make such a big deal about this, but I know some people on this board are from new orleans. You honestly would not believe the roads in the uptown/garden district area...especially when you have you use your built honda to deliver pizza

Ok, so if the eg will not be any rougher than an ek will (especially after swapping ctr/itr susp. components) then here is my next question: Is it easier to do a B18 swap w/a/c in one of those cars? Will I need aftermarket a/c mounts?

I believe (correct me if im wrong) B18/16's bolt into eg's w/ oem motor mounts, correct?

Thanks for the continuing help. And as for the comment about a HF on crap roads, I just totaled a 90 Si, and let me tell you: the roads were unbearable in it.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so if the eg will not be any rougher than an ek will (especially after swapping ctr/itr susp. components) then here is my next question: Is it easier to do a B18 swap w/a/c in one of those cars? Will I need aftermarket a/c mounts?
Mine 93 hatch uses AC. Just used a Del Sol Vtec AC bracket to bolt it up.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:43 PM
New User

Default Re: advice, wanting to build quick, reliable eg/ek daily driver (rodrez)

sweet...lets say I find an eg/ek w/a/c already...will I still need a DOHC a/c mount? or could I use the one from the sohc?