Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Advice needed for a D16Z6 turbo project

Old 01-05-2008, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed for a D16Z6 turbo project

Hey everyone,
I finally managed to get a mint D16Z6 engined '94 Civic Si Hatchback last summer and have been working on it ever since. Since i like things my way, I decided to do this from scratch and take everything apart, including the engine & interior and replace all parts that appear worn-out. Since I am still working on getting all the last engine parts together, I thought this would be the perfect time to consult the following set-up with you guys. My goal is around 220hp using a T3/T4 turbocharger yet keep the engine as "reliable" as possible. As you will probably realize, i'm not a professional mechanic But i am learning and if i had not crashed my previous civic on a German Autobahn , i might have learned some more.

Anyway. Before beginning with the turbo build, i am upgrading a few parts to freshen up the engine and since i'm still gathering these parts, my shopping list can be altered so please comment on the following set-up:

Apart from the actual turbo kit (Turbo, BO-valve, Intercooler, wastegate,...) this is my complete shopping list:

-AEM Short Ram intake, Blox 68mm Throttle body, Blox Intake Manifold, RC 310cc injectors, AEM Fuel rail, AEM Fuel pressure regulator, Skunk2 racing camshaft, Skunk2 Cam gear, OBX crank pulley, Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit & Fidanza Flywheel & a 165 Amp alternator.

Once these parts are in place, i am planning to get the ECU chipped and concentrate on forged internals before starting the actual turbo build. My question is, provided i have all the above mentioned parts installed and the ECU chipped, will the following three cover the internals?

Gaskets & extras:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...&rd=1

Forget pistons, Rods, ... :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

Complete valvetrain:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...h=015

Once these are in place, i will get a Greddy turbo kit which includes the rest of the required parts such as intercooler, blow-off valve, wastegate, all tubing, etc. and get that installed by a professional.
It's a long way to go but i like to have a firm plan in my head. Otherwise it could just be a waste of money.

Please feel free to comment on my shopping list and any parts that you believe don't go with this set-up. Also, if i left something out, please let me know. Again, any constructive input is much appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old 01-05-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pistons and rods are definitely a good choice, the rebuild kit looks good, but its ebay so you never know. The valvetrain site activated my norton fraud alert feature, which is very rare. Other than that you're on the right track.....except for that tiny turbo, go with a T9 instead

Its good to see someone else with a plan in their head! Good luck on the build!
Old 01-05-2008, 05:21 PM

Default Re: (OMGWTFBBQ!)

What would be the difference in using a throttle body with a different bore and/or different injectors? i'm still learning, you know

Almost forgot. Together will the above mentioned parts, i also have a custom made powerflow catback which was quite cheap here in the UK. Will i need a different exhaust system with a turbo?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:25 PM

Bigger TB = more air into engine = a bit more power.

Bigger injectors will allow you to run more fuel which will allow you to run more boost which means more powa. How much boost are you planning to run?

Ill be running 11psi with 440cc injectors when I'm done.

Modified by OMGWTFBBQ! at 9:37 PM 1/5/2008
Old 01-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good, i may get a little bigger injectors though, if you want more later on. I got my vitara pistons from automotive pro as well. Im planning hit around 300whp, with some 550-660rc's and crome tuning. *edit*, you also need you block notched, and that includes the main bearing girdle, i forgot to give the shop mine and had to do it myself today.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:32 PM

Default Re: (OMGWTFBBQ!)

I'm not quite there yet but from what i read on these forums, with all the parts i am going to change, i should be safe with at least 10psi through 310cc injectors.

Not sure if i understand this correctly, but once this set-up is complete, all i need to do to safely increase the boost is swap the injectors and adjust the turbo & fuel pressure. or not?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:36 PM

Default Re: (z6hatchboy)

"you also need you block notched, and that includes the main bearing girdle"

sorry, what's that? This isn't my first language but isn't that something girls wear?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DeadPixel)

Yeah, to increase boost, just get bigger injectors and a tune, and have a waste gate that can handle it.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DeadPixel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"you also need you block notched, and that includes the main bearing girdle"

sorry, what's that? This isn't my first language but isn't that something girls wear? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Sorry about that, its just what hold the bottom of the crank in, make sure to give to the shop when you get the block notched.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:39 PM

Default Re: (z6hatchboy)

Almost forgot, my greatest struggle. How do i chose the right pistons? i.e. what's the difference between low and high compression when it comes to my set-up?

Thanks for your replies

EDIT : just found out i can only post 5 messages every 24 hours.. which is quite dumb so i'll have to use this edit to communicate (for the next 23.5 hours).

"get the block notched" &lt;- what do you mean by that? At what point do i have to get it done? before i add the turbo or after i add the pistons, rods & valvetrain? once those three things are done, a few months will surely pass before i have the money to get the turbo kit. Do i need to get the "block notched" even when driving with the complete set-up minus the turbo?

Modified by DeadPixel at 6:57 PM 1/5/2008
Old 01-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

low compression just help to protect you from detonation when boosting (which is really imporant). The vitara's are a great piston for this. High compression pistons are more for all motor cars, and give more hp.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:43 PM

You'll need to take your engine to a machine shop to have the block notched for the eagle rods, or your engine may not make it to its first turbo spool.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:36 PM

sorry to thread jack, but the are those pistons good, because i am doing the same build, but for a y8, should i go with that setup, by that seller on ebay, he seems like a great seller, and i am not sure what pistons to run, but if they are good, i will just go with them, i am just buying parts right now and gathing everything to bring to the machine shop, sorry again for the thread jack. my goal is to hit 300-320 hp. with a t3.t4 most likely, not sure yet, because i am just doing the block work right now, and i didnt start buying the turbo stuff yet except for a hks blow off valve
Old 12-20-2008, 04:57 PM

Well im new on here but i am also turboing my z6 but im running a y8 head and im boring my motor .3o over for displacement and running 75.5mm vitaras with a stage 2 crower cam and a garrett t3/t4 turbo with a cast iron manifold and maybe a edelbrock intake does anyone have any info that could be helpfull to me>?<
Old 12-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why are you getting an aem short ram intake? greddy piping should all be there unless you already have a cold air intake that u could use the arm from
Old 12-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mikeydetzler
Well im new on here but i am also turboing my z6 but im running a y8 head and im boring my motor .3o over for displacement and running 75.5mm vitaras with a stage 2 crower cam and a garrett t3/t4 turbo with a cast iron manifold and maybe a edelbrock intake does anyone have any info that could be helpfull to me>?<
you will have a big problem when your .50 over pistons dont fit in your .30 over block.