Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Advice? Help? Noob?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice? Help? Noob?

Im definatley new to the Honda scene... Until recetly i hated hondas... I live in Miami which is flooded with straight up rice... So when my mustang owning buddy asked me to head out to Fuddruckers on a monday night i wasnt too sure, but went anyways... Now, at Fuddruckers theres Mustangs, and Hondas (Wierd Right?), and there seemed to be a definitive line between rice, and CLEAN... I like Clean... So i looked around and was converted... Maybe Hondas arent too bad... Needless to say im planning on buying a civic ('92-'99) thats already been boosted for around 5K... Sound tough? Let me know... But about that '92-'99, i really only like the earlier hatches and pretty much all coupes... Help me out, im a noob, i cant post in the classifieds yet, but help me get an idea... Thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Advice? Help? Noob? (EndOfAnEra)

there are two types of civic ur refering to. 92-95 and 96-00. In my opinion ur not gona find a boosted one for under 5k and not have problem. Ur best bet is ti buy a stock one and boost it yourself.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Advice? Help? Noob? (turnsignalandy)

Well I think im looking at '92-'95... Can I at least get something with a motor swap for 5K? i dont wanna buy anything too stock... Im pretty broke...
Old 06-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

What exactly are you looking for? 92-99 offers a wide variety of Civics. 92-95 are the years for the fifth generation (and quite honestly, my favorite generation) of the Civic. The best motor that these come with is the d16z6 which is found the EX coupe/ferio and the the Si hatchback. This is a SOHC motor with VTEC.

The 96-00 is the 6th generation of Civic. Again, the 96-00 coupes/ferio have the d16y8 motor which again is a SOHC motor with VTEC. The 99-00 Si coupe offered the b16a2 which is a DOHC that had VTEC. It gets a lot more specific, but this is just the basics for these years.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Advice? Help? Noob? (turnsignalandy)

glad to hear you have been enlightened, and welcome. You will fit right in if you like CLEAN hondas. This board is vehemently anti-rice. Make sure to search before you post too much, there is a wealth of info on this board, and also a lot of ******** that will give you **** if you dont search. LOL.
Goodluck finding a clean, mechanically sound turbo car for that much. I would buy a nice EG (92-95) hatch. And then build it to your liking. Good luck, and welcome to the Honda scene.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EndOfAnEra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I think im looking at '92-'95... Can I at least get something with a motor swap for 5K? i dont wanna buy anything too stock... Im pretty broke... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, if I were in your shoes I would by a stock Civic. Buying a modded Civics (or any car for that matter) definitely has it's pros and cons. Obviously the car will be faster if it's not stock, but modded cars tend to have more problems than stock cars. The cons would be that it's stock, and just that; stock.

I would stick with getting a stock one. It will be cheaper, and you will be able to do all the work yourself. I've had my Civic for 3 years, it's been a project since day one. Lot's of stuff has been done to it, but I can happily say I've done every ounce of work to it.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Advice? Help? Noob? (sol2hatch)

and if you shop around, you can get a civic with an assload of miles or a blown engine for cheap, and then put a swap in it. To get an idea of how much a swap would cost, visit hmotorsonline.com. &lt;----- not the cheapest, but it will give you a good idea
Old 06-13-2006, 09:11 PM

Awesome... Thanks for all the help, and of course, more will be needed but this def. helps... Now apparently this is a big fight... Which series motor is best... I only know Nissan, so I need big help with this one... Please?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EndOfAnEra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Awesome... Thanks for all the help, and of course, more will be needed but this def. helps... Now apparently this is a big fight... Which series motor is best... I only know Nissan, so I need big help with this one... Please? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I personally say B. Currently, that series of motor is widely used in a lot of Hondas. They have A LOT of after market parts for these motors; internals, externals, turbos, etc.

The future of the swap is going to be the K series, however this is really expensive and not everyone can afford this.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:15 PM

o god, why did you ask that question. LOL. Start searching. depends on what you want, and who you ask. If you are wanting to turbo, and on a budget, turbo a dseries. If you want more power, and can spend some extra dough, then look for a b series to turbo. The b18 non-vtec breed is good for turbo=low compression.
Search and you will find the answers you seek... its been beat to death, and then some