Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Advice for an engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for an engine (not race) for a '93 civic si

I don't know much of anything about imports, I'll openly admit as much. I've got a '93 civic si, and two blown d16's, their transmissions, and all of their accessories.

I am not interested in power as much as I am in ability to generate electricity. I have no intention or desire to race the car, I am going to use it for stereo competition. So I'm not really interested in what's going to push the most hp with the most torque, unless it's going to keep my amps supplied with a steady flow of power.

What little I have found out, and it may be wrong, is that b series motors are of a better quality, and provide more power, and don't cost much more. I have also read that a b16 or b18 would bold right in, and should run, using one of the wiring harness I already have, an the ECU that came in the car. A B20 would also fit, but I have read that because of the intake manifold's design it will have hood clearance problems. This is also not a problem for me, since I'll just cut a hole in the hood.

I bought the car used, it has a glasspack in the exhaust, with a dirtbike muffler, it's got a cold air intake on it and a bunch of other stuff that makes me not sure if I want to laugh or cry. So if I'll have to modify the appearance of the car in a negative way, I don't really care. I'm looking for the most cost-effective swap I can find, and I tend to believe that will be something that will bolt right in.

So I guess to sum it all up, I'm wondering if it's true that a B20 would bolt directly in and would function in a NORMAL and ACCEPTABLE way as a daily driver, using parts I have on hand from my other two engines/transmissions and what came in the car, or if you can make any suggestions regarding an option that would be cheaper/easier.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Advice for an engine (not race) for a '93 civic si (Banjo the Ninja)

your just lookin for trouble with this thread cuz everyone has their own opinion and the most that will happen is that everyone will say one thing or an other and it will wind up in a giant argument over which is best. .

personally i say you go with a B18c1 or if you have the chance, a B18c5 a.k.a type r but thats just my opinion. .

but i would suggest using the search button in the top right corner and read up on everything and make the choice yourself based on how much you know and based on your budget

also, i know a few kids with B20's and they dont seem to be to reliable. . but it might just be there's . . .
Old 03-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well since your not looking for power just throw in another sohc motor and call it a day...
Old 03-08-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Advice for an engine (BLUIZE256)

Will a b18c1/c5 bolt directly in, from what I've read I believe it will, but I'm looking for some affirmation lol, also, will my stock ecu/wiring harness work? One of the d16's was vtec, the other was not, so I've got one of each wiring harness.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well since your not looking for power just throw in another sohc motor and call it a day...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep.