Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Advice on buying 99 civic SI

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Advice on buying 99 civic SI

I wouldnt pay 5500 for an si....that had the b series in it either way...

5500 is almost K series land, forget D/B series at that point.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:25 AM
"patchy" - (New account)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies:

I think I may try to get maybe a 98 EX model

And go from there.

Turbo or all motor ?
Old 12-24-2011, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbolag11
Thanks for all the replies:

I think I may try to get maybe a 98 EX model

And go from there.

Turbo or all motor ?
Easy
Turbo is cheaper fast (****IF you know how to put one together, or live near someone that does***) Put this in for marc, as Im sure he'll come in and school everyone on turbos.
All Im saying is Turbo is the *cheaper* alternative then building an ALL MOTOR civic that you consider fast. Is it easy to put together a turbo and tune it effectively? nope.

OP- it also depends on what your looking to get out of the car / Also depends what fast is to you. 10 years ago, I thought the b16 was "fast" - then I had one. Then the b18c5 was "fast" then it was b18's with big turbos....

Now- my opinion of "fast" is the K - series. My opinion of "fast" and "what I wanted" changed though. Now, Im a bit older and dont have 40 hours a week to spend wrenching on my swap that has some sort of kink...or code...or part that broke when I was playing with my boost etc etc.

Now to me --thats where a K series comes in, its fast enough to keep me content, however it is all motor, and pretty reliable so I dont have to worry about turbos/engine management/yada / yada.

This topic comes up here everyday...more then once. The answer is/will always be the same. What are you looking for out of the car (I assume you wanted a SI and a turbo'ed one at that for a little spirited driving) In that regard.....find a nice straight/rust free honda coupe in the ek years....then find the most expensive swap your budget will allow.
If your pockets allow a turbo...and you want more power...get the turbo. Know that the turbo and more power on these econo-box civics either break things/or need upgrading. Stuff that might not come to mind, but axles...fuel management, yada yada, yada.

If that isn't your brand of vodka....go all motor. It'll be more reliable, but less power. I still think a type R motor is fun, although I wouldn't think it was that fast anymore because I get to drive the newer crop of faster cars...my best friend has a EVO so again, my idea of fun/fast cars have changed. Nothing ever changes a 8500 rpm redline though.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:55 AM
"patchy" - (New account)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that info. That helps a lot.

And yea...I'm not trying to get a debate on All motor and turbo going haha

I see similar topics on the camaro forum....I have a camaro Z28 ....I love imports too though.

I like them both.

I would really like to build up a civic, I've wanted one since I was in high school but my budget never really allowed....But now I think I can pay for the parts and such.

What I like to get from my cars is to drive them daily and be able to beat on them and they still go from point A to point B .

That's pretty much how my camaro is, you can run it fast when you want and still drive everyday.

I guess I shouldn't brag on it too much because the next time I drive it I might be on the camaro forums posting a topic about rebuilding the motor.....
Old 12-24-2011, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Please post non-technical inquiries like this one in the Value Thread sticky at the top.