Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Advice about replacing AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice about replacing AC Compressor

So I have a 1999 Honda Civic EX, and I need a new air compressor, I have a friend that says it is easy to put in, but has anyone actually done it? Is it easy? and also think it should be bought on Ebay? Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Advice about replacing AC Compressor (islandgurl305)

What happened to your compressor? It is a fairly easy bolt-on affair if you have basic automotive mechanical skills. That being said, if you change out your compressor, you should also replace your receiver/dryer and your expansion valve. The receiver/dryer contains desiccant which removes moisture from the refrigerant. The receiver/dryer is fairly easy to replace, as well; you just need to remove your bumper to get to it. The expansion valve is a little harder to replace. It requires you to get into the evaporator.

The expansion valve is part 11 above.

The receiver/dryer is part 12 above.

I wouldn't buy from ebay unless you want something that doesn't work. The place I bought my parts from when I had to do this was http://www.discountacparts.com. They have new and remanufactured compressors.

After you replace the compressor, you have to take your car to a shop and have them evacuate the system. This will remove the air and create a vacuum in the system. They can then add the refrigerant and you can also have them check for leaks in the system.

When I had to do this job, I replaced the compressor. I had a shop replace the receiver/dryer and the expansion valve because I didn't want to deal with those. The compressor was easy to get to and easy to replace.

Modified by B18CivicEJ8 at 2:52 PM 5/28/2008
Old 05-29-2008, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Advice about replacing AC Compressor (B18CivicEJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CivicEJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What happened to your compressor? It is a fairly easy bolt-on affair if you have basic automotive mechanical skills. That being said, if you change out your compressor, you should also replace your receiver/dryer and your expansion valve. The receiver/dryer contains desiccant which removes moisture from the refrigerant. The receiver/dryer is fairly easy to replace, as well; you just need to remove your bumper to get to it. The expansion valve is a little harder to replace. It requires you to get into the evaporator.

The expansion valve is part 11 above.

The receiver/dryer is part 12 above.

I wouldn't buy from ebay unless you want something that doesn't work. The place I bought my parts from when I had to do this was http://www.discountacparts.com. They have new and remanufactured compressors.

After you replace the compressor, you have to take your car to a shop and have them evacuate the system. This will remove the air and create a vacuum in the system. They can then add the refrigerant and you can also have them check for leaks in the system.

When I had to do this job, I replaced the compressor. I had a shop replace the receiver/dryer and the expansion valve because I didn't want to deal with those. The compressor was easy to get to and easy to replace.

Modified by B18CivicEJ8 at 2:52 PM 5/28/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well thanks for the info! Im not sure what happened to it? I had 3 belts changed and then 10 days later the car was making a VERY loud noise, like couldnt even drive it, wasn't starting well. So took it back to the same shop as before, he took one of the belts off, and he said the compressor froze up. So I think he put belts on too tight, or somehow he messed it up. just too ironic. So either way now I dont have any AC and need to replace the compressor and the other parts you mentioned. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 AM

don't buy your compressor from ebay! they suck!! i just bought one and its the noisiest **** ever! i think you can buy a clutch rebuild kit from honda for the a/c unit for about 150 bucks! do that or just buy a new/rebuilt compressor.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:22 AM

Default Re: (93dagsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93dagsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't buy your compressor from ebay! they suck!! i just bought one and its the noisiest **** ever! i think you can buy a clutch rebuild kit from honda for the a/c unit for about 150 bucks! do that or just buy a new/rebuilt compressor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha ok thanks!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:37 PM

Just buy a new one from your local car parts store. Mines just went out and i bought it use for $30. Now, I am looking for a new one. I am regretting and It really depends if you are going to keep the car. If you are then buy a new one.

It is pretty easy.

Steps

1) evacuate freon. you can do it your self or take it to a shop
2) take power steering out. should be like 2 bolts. Remove belt. It will get messy.
3) Loose ac pulley bolt. The belt will come off. I think its a 14 mm.
4) Remove ac compressor with 4 bolts.
5) Install new ac compressor
6) Charge ac

Put it back is done in reverse order.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Advice about replacing AC Compressor

that doesn't sound like a 4 hour job. maybe its harder on my prelude. (what my dealer wants in labor to replace my compressor/clutch/drier not including parts)
Old 07-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Advice about replacing AC Compressor

I have a 2000 Civic LX and my compressor froze up in September of last year. I drove it through the winter but must have A/C for the summer. I cut the belt off because it was just being dragged over the compressor and burning up. I haven't done anything to it but I took it to a mechanic and they wanted to replace the compressor, evaporator, condensor, accum/drier, and expansion valve. Do I really need to replace all of those things or can I get away with just replacing the compressor, expansion valve, and accum/drier? I was hoping to do this myself but am not sure how to. Remove power steering and then compressor?

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 07-21-2017, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by exx07a0b
Just buy a new one from your local car parts store. Mines just went out and i bought it use for $30. Now, I am looking for a new one. I am regretting and It really depends if you are going to keep the car. If you are then buy a new one.

It is pretty easy.

Steps

1) evacuate freon. you can do it your self or take it to a shop
2) take power steering out. should be like 2 bolts. Remove belt. It will get messy.
3) Loose ac pulley bolt. The belt will come off. I think its a 14 mm.
4) Remove ac compressor with 4 bolts.
5) Install new ac compressor
6) Charge ac

Put it back is done in reverse order.

good thing I don't have power steering😂😂