Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Adjusting Timing... (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/adjusting-timing-114243/)

DaNish 01-16-2002 09:55 AM

Adjusting Timing...

I'm getting my cam and cam gear installed today, and I'm buying a Zex Kit that should be here this weekend. Now I know I need to retard the timing around 3 degrees to run the juice in my car...but I'm wondering how do I retard the timing with the cam gear? Is it something simple or what? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, i just dont have the gear in my posession right now so i cant see what it looks like or any instructions. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

DaNish 01-16-2002 10:32 AM

Re: Adjusting Timing... (MiGs)

Which way do I turn it to retard it? Does it say on the gear...sorry again for the stupid questions, i just dont have it in my posession right now, so i cant really see what it looks like.

spankaveli 01-16-2002 10:45 AM

Re: Adjusting Timing... (X DaNish X)

wait, if im not mistaken, you need to be retarding IGNITION timing and not CAM timing?

DaNish 01-16-2002 11:02 AM

Re: Adjusting Timing... (spankaveli)

I was told to retard the cam gear 3 degrees to run a 65 shot...

spankaveli 01-16-2002 11:12 AM

news to me......all ive ever heard is retard ignition timing.

anh well, to retard cam gear timing loosen the 3 bolts, turn the cam gear to the right 3 degrees (dont know how many notches on aem gear) then tighten em back

Suprdave 01-16-2002 11:35 AM

Uhm, dont be a tard...What would changing cam phasing have to do with detonation from nitrous? hahaha

You need to pull 3 Degrees of Ignition Timing. Rent a Timing Light and Follow Instructions. Loosen you Distributor and turn away from firewall in accordance with the timing light....dont be a tool and blow your motor.

Suprdave

DaNish 01-16-2002 11:42 AM

Re: Adjusting Timing... (Suprdave)

Oh crap...I'm sorry I must've been mistaken...thanks for the info

spankaveli 01-16-2002 12:47 PM

Uhm, dont be a tard...What would changing cam phasing have to do with detonation from nitrous? hahaha

You need to pull 3 Degrees of Ignition Timing. Rent a Timing Light and Follow Instructions. Loosen you Distributor and turn away from firewall in accordance with the timing light....dont be a tool and blow your motor.

Suprdave
damn im good :D

spankaveli 01-16-2002 12:49 PM

dont you need to jump the service jumper before you loosen the distributor?

TurboTegB18c 01-16-2002 12:52 PM

Re: Adjusting Timing... (spankaveli)

Yes, you need to jump the service connector b4 you check timing.

DaNish 01-17-2002 10:15 AM

Re: Adjusting Timing... (TurboD16Z6)

Ok, I'm an idiot....exactly what do you mean when you say "jump" it...and where is the service jumper?

solo 01-17-2002 11:17 AM

what that means is you have to put a paper clip or a piece of wire to into both ends of the plug to trip the two wires, the plug is located in your car under your dash in the passanger kick panel, by your ECU. i cant remember what color the plug is but i think its either blue of green and has two wires comming out of it. the way you know you done it right is because your check engine light should come on when you turn the car on(you dont have to start the car, just turn it into the II position)

Mista Bone 01-18-2002 03:39 AM

Re: Adjusting Timing... (solo)

Here to end all myths and bad info.......

You can run the 65 shot with ignition timing at 14 BTDC, but I also run 3 degrees retard on the cam timing to move powerband upwards on a SOHC.

You DO NOT have to jump the connector when setting idle IF it is below 875-900 rpms and car fully warmed up.

Suprdave 01-24-2002 12:00 PM

Re: Adjusting Timing... (Mista Bone)

Here to end all myths and bad info.......

You can run the 65 shot with ignition timing at 14 BTDC, but I also run 3 degrees retard on the cam timing to move powerband upwards on a SOHC.

You DO NOT have to jump the connector when setting idle IF it is below 875-900 rpms and car fully warmed up.
'Can' is the key word, eh bone? For my Engine *B18B* 14BTDC would still be a 2 Degree Retard, but since the guy that was asking kinda didnt know ANYTHING. Hed prolly be alittle safer with 3 Degree Retard, eh eh?

Suprdave