adjusting my gc coilover sleeves

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 08:43 PM
NMZ
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting my gc coilover sleeves

i need a little guidance before i try to adjust my ride height
what i am planning to do is just jack the wheel up, take the wheel off and use the allen wrench unscrew it and then turn the ****. i want the front to be a little higher by maybe half or an inch. anyone know ho much i should turn and to the right left etc?
is there anything that may be a b!tch while im doing this? thanks
Old 01-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the collar should say which direction to turn to raise it up or lower it but i think turn right to raise, left to lower. if the threads on the sleeve are real dirty the collar sometimes gets stuck and it's real hard to turn it.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:50 PM
NMZ
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nalgas05)

crap
any idea how much i should turn it?
i dont want to torque my wheels on and then later find out its too high or uneven
Old 01-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not really, just make sure u do it on level ground. jack the car up from the front so u can adjust both front sleeves at the same time. do the same for the back. when i did mine, it was just trial and error. in the front, u dont have to remove the wheels to get to the sleeves only the back.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:00 PM
NMZ
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nalgas05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nalgas05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not really, just make sure u do it on level ground. jack the car up from the front so u can adjust both front sleeves at the same time. do the same for the back. when i did mine, it was just trial and error. in the front, u dont have to remove the wheels to get to the sleeves only the back.</TD></TR></TABLE>

man but my car is SLAMMED
i have no way in accessing the sleeves right..? or is there a way...?
i am actually not planning to raise the rear since it is higher than the front at the moment. is this a good choice ? let me know thx
Old 01-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (dontgivafuk)

Yeah you can still get to the front sleeves without removing the wheels.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jack it up in the front but leave the wheels on there. they'll hang down and u can access the sleeves.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:12 PM
NMZ
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mulletov)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mulletov &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jack it up in the front but leave the wheels on there. they'll hang down and u can access the sleeves.</TD></TR></TABLE>

is it possible to do one side at a time. i may have to use a manuel spare lift
Old 01-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sho nuff, just takes more time is all.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you guys ensure that w/ coilovers everything is equal and even? do you take it to a shop after?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Year 3030

Default Re: (ekcivic9)

on my ground-controls i just count the threads from the bottom up. If you dont have crappy suspension or bad bushings, they will be pretty even. After i raise/lower my car, i usually take a tape measurer and measure each side of my lip and the rear bumper at each corner to ensure eveness. Its usually a pretty good idea to get an alignment too if you drop/raise your car dramatically. Like if your stock and then dump it to the ground yo.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:56 PM
NMZ
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sumslapper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sumslapper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on my ground-controls i just count the threads from the bottom up. If you dont have crappy suspension or bad bushings, they will be pretty even. After i raise/lower my car, i usually take a tape measurer and measure each side of my lip and the rear bumper at each corner to ensure eveness. Its usually a pretty good idea to get an alignment too if you drop/raise your car dramatically. Like if your stock and then dump it to the ground yo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

most places wont give me an allignment:\
Old 01-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Year 3030

Default Re: (sumslapper)

oh and if you have a sway bar or a car with stock sway bars, you should jack up the whole front or the whole rear or all four. If you do one corner at a time, you are working against the sway bar resulting in a pain in the *** and fighting the suspension
Old 01-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Year 3030

les shwab did it for me for 70$ and i am dumped. Camber is not a big deal really, just make sure your toe is to spec
Old 01-06-2006, 06:09 PM
NMZ
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: adjusting my gc coilover sleeves (dontgivafuk)

hmm i guess this would be better
anyone happen to have a scan of directions or know how many rotations it takes to get about 1 inch? thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dale's in lancaster did my alignment for 30. and im pretty low. if you dont have an aftermarket camber kit in front they probably wont adjust the camber
Old 01-06-2006, 06:29 PM
NMZ
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: adjusting my gc coilover sleeves (dohcVTECeg2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcVTECeg2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dale's in lancaster did my alignment for 30. and im pretty low. if you dont have an aftermarket camber kit in front they probably wont adjust the camber</TD></TR></TABLE>

i went to firestone
all i wanted was a 0 toe but the guy alreadyt gave me the look that it was a no
he said the front end was too low and that it would scratch while getting onto the machine.
also, i heard from my friend who got his there that the machine scratched his rims :\

back to topic. anyone know how many rotations of the disk i should do for maybe half or an inch raise? front of course
Old 01-06-2006, 08:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dontgivafuk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i went to firestone
all i wanted was a 0 toe but the guy alreadyt gave me the look that it was a no
he said the front end was too low and that it would scratch while getting onto the machine.
also, i heard from my friend who got his there that the machine scratched his rims :\

back to topic. anyone know how many rotations of the disk i should do for maybe half or an inch raise? front of course</TD></TR></TABLE>\

I did the same thing about a week ago, because my left front would rub when I took a right turn too hard. Anyway, I just used a super accurate ruler to measure the distance the sleeve was at before, then raised it 1" from there. Not to hard to do, plus you can make both sides even.
I think the hardest thing was to get the car up in the first place. Even my spare tire jack was too tall to get under there. I had to stack up wood into "stairs" so that I could drive up them, THEN get the jack under there. Just an FYI in case your car is as low as mine was. Took a while, but worked well.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:57 PM
NMZ
Honda-Tech Member

bump for # of rotations
Old 01-07-2006, 08:20 AM

Seriously, the number of rotations is gonna be almost impossible to count, plus I'm sure no one know EXACTLY. If you want to raise your car an inch, measure an inch. I'm giving my advice after several trials and errors, but its up to you whether to take my advice or not. Either way, good luck.