Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Adjusting Clutch Pedal Catch Point

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting Clutch Pedal Catch Point

Hey guys, this question I have is one that I've done some research on here at h-t for the past day or so but don't feel 100% confident that I have pieced everything I've read here together right to accomplish what I want. Essentially what I want to do is have my clutch pedal catch closer to the floor. This is just a matter of personal preference because as of now it catches fine without any problems, im just not a fan of how high i have to release the clutch after its been fully depressed for it to catch. No other car I've driven with a manual tranny has had a release point so high, and i guess i just want to bring this into a more familiar comfort zone. Granted it does not catch absurdly high, which can rule out clutch problems especially since it was replaced less than a year ago, but after reading it can be done, i figure i'd ask the more knowledgeable guys here and do it right.

im driving a 94 cx hatch, and i've been reading that to accomplish this there is a mechanism behind the clutch pedal itself. One or two past threads I read said it was a simple as loosening a bolt and screwing a rod clockwise or counter clockwise to suit my needs, while another thread had a way more laborious route to get this done. Im honestly not sure which route to take, it also doesn't help that there are not any pics to assist in this DIY. Also one last question, would be is it safe to adjust this, are there any cons? Thank-you in advance guys.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Adjusting Clutch Pedal Catch Point

In 1992 Honda switched all of the transmissions to a hydro style=self adjusting

the pre 92 tranny's were cable and could be adjusted with a big nut on the clutch cable

This applies to civic's, other models had different years Honda switched over
Old 05-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Name:  picture_4827.jpg
Views: 12107
Size:  102.4 KB
Old 05-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
so im getting from this to simply loosen "C" then adjust the rod, then tighten "C". Also which way must the rod be turned to get it to catch closer to the floor, any one with experience know how much is safe?
Old 05-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are integra clutches different?
My civic clutch is so much better then my integra.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also which way must the rod be turned to get it to catch closer to the floor, any one with experience know how much is safe?
When facing the pedals, you rotate the rod to the left - this will bring the pedal closer to the firewall.

You need to turn the rod in very small increments, tighten the bolt, then drive to test the clutch engagement point. Rinse, repeat. Don't forget to adjust the safety/switch and CC buttons when you're done.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:22 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Maladeen
so im getting from this to simply loosen "C" then adjust the rod, then tighten "C". Also which way must the rod be turned to get it to catch closer to the floor, any one with experience know how much is safe?
Follow the procedure above. Use the measurements in the procedure. When you're done the engagement height will be where it's supposed to be. You really can't just set the engagement height wherever you want it. Too low and the clutch wont fully disengage and you'll have shifting issues and/or increased synchro wear. To high and the clutch will slip. If it's working good the way it is I'd just leave it alone.

Originally Posted by VegaDC2
Are integra clutches different?
My civic clutch is so much better then my integra.
Integra clutches are set up exactly the same way.