Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

adjustable cam gear procedure questions for mini me swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjustable cam gear procedure questions for mini me swap

z6 head with b2 block. I picked up an adjustable cam gear from vms racing and have a few quick questions regarding installation. This is what I did from the information I gathered.

About cam gear:
says it fits 88-00. Now I know that the y7/y8 will compensate for the 4.75* difference but I was unable to find one.
I know about getting crap cam gears from ebay, but this one says it is at least al7075 cnc billet, so it seemed better than the more "generic" ones.
Here's the link if anyone is interested:
http://www.vms-racing.com/productsin...teID=62&ID=532

1) I put the cam gear at tdc via the z6 cam gear.
2) I removed the belt from the cam gear.
3) I removed the z6 cam gear and made sure the cam did not rotate upon removal of gear.
4) I put the z6 gear back on to verify tdc again.
5) With both gears in my hand, I compared the markings on the z6 gear with adjustable cam gear. The 7 o'clock mark is in the same exact location.
6) I installed the adjustable cam gear with initial settings at zero.
7) Installed belt via fsm and noticed half tooth again (to be expected).
8) Slipped the belt back off of the cam gear and advanced cam gear as close to 4.75* as I could. Roughly 2.5 marks or so.
9) Reinstalled belt via fsm and noticed the timing was much closer, but still not exact.
10) Slipped belt back off and moved cam gear to 4.75* retarded and repeated.
11) Noticed that the timing was the same (closer than half tooth, but not exact)
12) Adjusted cam gear by removing belt, setting marks at tdc for cam while adjusting marks a little bit more.
13) Noticed that this did not improve the timing from the 4.75* estimate.
14) Tried a new approach: returned cam gear to 4.75* advanced by methods above.
15) Turned crank a couple rotates after properly setting tension (as I did above as well).
16) Before the crank returned to tdc, I loosened the cam gear adjusting bolts and then rotated crank to try to get both at tdc.
17) When I did this, they both lined up, but the cam gear was maxed out retarded.

Questions:
1) Since the cam gear is applicable for 88-00, should I essentially ignore the marks and just get it all at tdc (even if maxed out retarded)?
2) Was this even the correct way to install the cam gear? Meaning, should I have advanced/retarded the cam gear before even bolting it to the cam, or doesn't that matter since it's adjustable?
3) There are shorter and longer lines for the cam gear marks. Are the longer ones the 2* or are the shorter ones the 2*?

Sorry for what may be an obvious answer. Ive been trying to find out how people with this setup installed them. I was able to find several threads with people who say they adjusted it to 4.75*.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: adjustable cam gear procedure questions for mini me swap

Bump. I'm considering buying one and have the same question
Old 08-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try this

http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...ght=degree+cam
Old 08-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What 4.75 degree difference are you talking about?

The cam gear timing marks are different between a z6 and a y8. This is not because the heads are different. It's because the cams are different.

Whatever cam you are using, you will use the corresponding cam gear and time the motor with those marks.

You said the timing marks on the aftermarket cam gear are the same as the stock z6 gear? If you're running a z6 cam, then leave the cam gear alone and line the marks up as you normally would. There is no adjustment needed.

The only time you would have to advance 4.75 degrees on the cam gear to get the correct timing is if you were using a y8 cam with a cam gear marked for a z6.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:49 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The OP is using a B2 block, that's why the camgear is being adjusted.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

VMS cam gears are great. I bought a 5-bolt pair years ago for another Honda back when they were called Verocious Motor Sports. That was maybe 3 years ago and the VMS gears and Gates t-belt are in great shape, never slipped a single degree.