Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Adding door lock actuators - need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding door lock actuators - need help

1) any good pics of where to mount the solenoid?
2) how do I get the wire thru the channel to the inside of the car?
3) how do I disassemble the wiring harness that goes from the door to the body?
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adding door lock actuators - need help (OfTheSun2)

1) What type of actuators are you using?

2) Easiest would be to remove the fender and after you've removed the boot from the door to the body you feed the wires through by taping them with electrical tape to a shortened piece of wire (something like a cut coat hanger would be strong enough and allow you to easily angle it to ge where you need) then pull through the other side.

3) To remove from the inside of the door you will need to take the door panel and plastic off the door. Then you can see where it is attached it will have 8 ridges that hold it after it's pushed in (assuming you have manual doors now) push the tabs all down and push out. It will now be lose from the door and you will pull. From here you'll disconnect the speaker plug and it will be free from the door. The body side of the mount is just pushed into it. Just give it a gentle tug and it will come out no problem.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Adding door lock actuators - need help (starion88esir)

Thank you for your kind reply.
I have a 94 del sol. Not currently with automatic door locks.
I can mount the actuators but was looking for pics if available.
The electrical is the issue. Many cars have a tubular rubber guide for the wires to go thru from the car to the door. The del sol has a connector! Hmmmm.
I have removed the connector from the door. I have unplugged the 2 connectors.
I would like to get 2 wires neatly and cleanly from the door to the car interior. I have been able to push a wire up the tube but I cannot get it to turn into the car interior. If I were able to get a wire from the interior to the end of the tube, I would need to get the wire past the connectors and into the door.

I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adding door lock actuators - need help (OfTheSun2)

Sorry, don't know crap about the De Sols. That's what I did for my 97. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck on finding pictures, I've not been able to find any for mine.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you got the mounting rails with the actuators, then just put them in line with the door locks.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adding door lock actuators - need help (roachsboosted16)

That depends on the style of actuator/solenoid. Mine are huge 40/lb solenoids and they will not fit "in line". Even the small ones will need to be placed carefully because they to will get in the way of the door panel.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:24 PM

Thank you for all your replies.
I was able to run wires for the automatic door lock actuators by doing the following:
1) Remove door panel.
2) Disassemble the wire connector from the lower part of the door. This wasn't easy. The wire bundle that runs into the door is made of 2 parts: the wire connectors and the outside shell.
3) Separate the 2 wire connectors
4) Take off the plastic covering on the underside of the wheel well so that the rubber boot can be accessed that covers the wires running into the interior.
5) Push a stiff wire from the connector end (by the door) thru the wire bundle and out the other end that is now slightly removed from the side of the car. This may not be really easy. It may take many tries.
6) Connect and pull 2 smaller wires thru the bundle using the still wire.
7) Once the 2 wires are thru the bundle push the stiff wire thru the hole in the side of the car where the rubber boot was removed.
8) Now, here is the weird/difficult part. In both the inside and outside wire snap connectors, find 2 unused holes where there are no electrical connectors. Notice that you could push a small wire thru the holes. Take a small drill and drill out these holes slightly so that your wire can go thru. This is the trick! This is weird to do. It doesn't seem normal, but it obviously works.
9) Assure yourself that you have 2 wires that go from the inside of the car to the inside of the door. Discard the stiff wires.
10) Snap the wire connectors in the door back together, and replace the rubber boot, replace the wheel well liner.
11) You have run 2 wires thru the existing wire bundle from the interior of the car to the interior of the door.